Supplements

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Supplements
atlas777
4/30/08 10:46:34PM
Does anyone take supplements if so could you help me out by telling me what helps im looking to add muscle mass and get lean at the same time. Any help for increasing my performance and effectiveness what do you guys suggest?
skatenate
4/30/08 10:58:13PM
im not an expert as im quite new to the whole supplements thing, but i was recommended one and been using ever since with some good results. im guessing you do some kind of mma training so you'll need one with protein (muscle growth) and also carbs(fuel). when ur looking for a supplement product, have a look at the ingredients table coloumn where it says 'per 100grams', you want a nice balance between protein and carbs (mine is 40% protein 46% carbs). thats really pretty much all i can give you, and no doubt ill probably be corrected. but it works for me, so yeah.
seanfu
4/30/08 11:17:27PM
Creatine works well. I used it and peaked quickly.

Be weary of muscle. depending on what weightclass you want to be in it could eff u up. If you build muscle at a super high rate you can get tendonitis, it's unpleasent. Also make sure you're using the muscle you put on and not just having it to have it. You can increase your strength in a huge way with only about 5-6 pounds of muscle gain. (estimate) Muscle uses oxygen. (forewarning)

With supplements I'm not too sure I only used creatine. You might be interested in whey protein or muscle milk. Also, Creatine causes about 2-3 pounds gain of water. Don't cut weight with it and you have to stay hydrated.

Also, not really a supplement but useful. I just discovered Pedialyte this winter. After a weight cut, instead of drinking water drink gatorade and pedialyte and you'll recover more quickly. your body will actually obsorb what's coming in instead of just hilding it.

lance70301
5/8/08 11:22:00PM
I have to agree w/ Seanfu. You might want to try MuscleMilk. I had excellent results while on it. I find it added lean muscle without the bloating like creatine, and it also helped with my recovery time. I posted a link so you could read about if interested.
musclemilk
Jackelope
5/9/08 12:31:34AM
If you're trying to build muscle but look more ripped then creatine isn't a good choice for you. Creatine gives the over inflated with water look (takes away cut appearance) and if you're doing a ton of cardio creatine is just bad in general.

It can cause a lot of cramps for people, and the water intake requirement is absolutely ridiculous. Combine that with doing mass amounts of cardio (which people in general don't drink enough water for, anyway) and you've got major, major water intake required. I don't recommend it at all. There are some out there that will, and that's fine, but from my standpoint it's not recommended. I've tried it twice, and personally I've never been satisfied with the results it brings, or the way it makes me feel.

I'm a bit of a naturalist, but honestly the best advice I can give is a proper diet, a nice and clean three stage protein, lots of hard work, and plenty of patience. Results will come in time.

Pedialyte is GREAT for repleneshing your body with vital nutrients during and after a workout or a weight cut. I wouldn't so much call pedialyte a supplement as I would call it gatorade on steroids.
RMFG_187
5/9/08 2:52:11AM
I just use Protein, and a multi vitamin. I hate Creatine with a passion, and im not too fond of meal supplements or any of that crap. I find that the Protein helped me out big time.
Rush
5/9/08 9:44:20AM

Posted by RMFG_187

I just use Protein, and a multi vitamin. I hate Creatine with a passion, and im not too fond of meal supplements or any of that crap. I find that the Protein helped me out big time.

This is about my answer. I am like Jackelope and stick to a well balanced diet. with a good quality protein supplement and multivitamin, which I only use on the days that I work out.

In all honesty, I've read some of the studies (the ones that actually exist) on some of these supplements and really the "clinically proven results" are very small with vast number of them. Some people say they feel the difference, but in a lot of cases, the active ingredient is caffeine, of which I am not a proponent. Another thing is, a lot of the people I see popping a boat load of supplements generally do not look healthy and are generally not in amazing shape.

From my personal experience, the protein powder has helped me recover faster from an intense workout (on a side note my hair grows faster too), but it has never helped me gain muscle mass or get ripped. Part of that is also my workout routine and part of it is genetics. However, my goal is not to gain a lot of mass or necessarily be ripped.

For me to get ripped I need to run over 20 miles a week (in two days), in addition to about 4 regular workouts, which is quite a bit. That is a hard routine to keep up when you have other stuff going on in life.

So I would say stick with a good protein supplement. You may have to try a few brands to also see if you are compatible with them. I know most brands out there bother my stomach. Get a good multivitamin. I'm not talking about a cheapo one you get a walmart. Spend the $$$ and get one that is high quality. You'll notice a difference.

Eat good foods. Carbs that are high in fibre (whole grains), which also contain additional protein, oils (EVOO, Canola Oil, Flax Oil), proteins (eggs, fish, lean meats), lots of water, lots of veggies, fruit, garlic, spices

Avoid - alcohol, fried foods, processed carbs (white bread), sugars, fatty meats, salt

Another thing that may sound stupid is BE HAPPY. Your body functions a lot better and more efficiently when you are relaxed and happy. Being stressed contributes negatively to your workouts in a number of mental and physiological ways.
Kracker_Jap
5/9/08 11:00:26AM

Posted by Jackelope

If you're trying to build muscle but look more ripped then creatine isn't a good choice for you. Creatine gives the over inflated with water look (takes away cut appearance) and if you're doing a ton of cardio creatine is just bad in general.

It can cause a lot of cramps for people, and the water intake requirement is absolutely ridiculous. Combine that with doing mass amounts of cardio (which people in general don't drink enough water for, anyway) and you've got major, major water intake required. I don't recommend it at all. There are some out there that will, and that's fine, but from my standpoint it's not recommended. I've tried it twice, and personally I've never been satisfied with the results it brings, or the way it makes me feel.

I'm a bit of a naturalist, but honestly the best advice I can give is a proper diet, a nice and clean three stage protein, lots of hard work, and plenty of patience. Results will come in time.

Pedialyte is GREAT for repleneshing your body with vital nutrients during and after a workout or a weight cut. I wouldn't so much call pedialyte a supplement as I would call it gatorade on steroids.

I second all of what jack.... said and to add to it

I here this question all the time at the gym, "I want to bulk up and get shredded"
In the world of bodybuilding that is 2 different workout styles and supplement programs.....

I suggest like the rest a balenced diet and PATIENTS

My long term plan has always been winter down with some bulk and come spring get lean for the ladies.... Its just now the ladies are my wife and 2 daughters
kMMAs
5/9/08 1:28:47PM
I have a question on this too....

I currently take a multi vitimen (mega men from GNC, I realized prob over priced but I like em) and every morning for breakfast make a shake with fruits and WHEY protein. Everything is working out good for me, but when this batch of WHEY is gone, do you know of a good protein that doesnt have alot of cholesterol?

I am using Gold Standard Whey now (cuz it was on sale). I cant recall the %, but there is a fair amount of cholesterol. I know there is soy protein and such. Any recomendations on a specific brand?

Keep in mind I just want a powder form that I can just throw in the blender with my other stuff quick and easy in the morning.
Kracker_Jap
5/10/08 4:02:33PM

Posted by kMMAs

I currently take a multi vitimen (mega men from GNC, I realized prob over priced but I like em) and every morning for breakfast make a shake with fruits and WHEY protein. Everything is working out good for me, but when this batch of WHEY is gone, do you know of a good protein that doesnt have alot of cholesterol?

I am using Gold Standard Whey now (cuz it was on sale). I cant recall the %, but there is a fair amount of cholesterol. I know there is soy protein and such. Any recomendations on a specific brand?

Keep in mind I just want a powder form that I can just throw in the blender with my other stuff quick and easy in the morning.

Ya buddy I use (Optimum nutrition gold standerd)

But go to
prosource.net and research the brands or request a catolog and they will send you a buyers guide....

I find the buyers guide is a great read on the john
murphy_16
5/10/08 9:18:11PM
i take some sick weight gainer cookies and cream tastes fuking amazing and then with some nitrous oxide shit works real god gotten prety big
kMMAs
5/12/08 8:49:21AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by kMMAs

Ya buddy I use (Optimum nutrition gold standerd)

But go to
prosource.net and research the brands or request a catolog and they will send you a buyers guide....

I find the buyers guide is a great read on the john

Thanks man, Ill check it out!
casey64
5/12/08 11:42:17AM

Posted by RMFG_187

Do agree with you here, I took creatine and it did not help me but little, protein helps me alot before and after a workout.
jagerman_70
5/13/08 10:17:21AM
I am not a steroid guy, but whenever I go and work out at the gym, afterwards I fix a protein shake and it has showed results, it is a clean and helpful, not to mention safe way to build muscle-mass