super heavy

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » super heavy
loonytnt
7/28/07 11:41:48PM
anyone think that ufc needs a superheavy div?
juanez13
7/28/07 11:47:50PM
i dont think so, and i dont think it will happen for a very very very long time, same with lighter weights like feather weight, there is juss not enough guy out there to fill the divison up , also they wouldnt be appealing to alot of fans(mainly new ones),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if it were to happen ( altough it wont (mark hunt would rule that weight class)
loonytnt
7/28/07 11:52:19PM
id love to see butterbean in there lol for the 30sec the fight would last by him knockin the guy got or him gasin
Twenty20Dollars
7/29/07 12:17:26AM
no, not enough people. Plus it wouldnt be that exciting. UFC isnt going to add new weight classes for a long long time even if they do.
ocho-cinco
7/29/07 1:04:31AM
no way it will happen because there is no need for one.
Twenty20Dollars
7/29/07 1:45:18AM
exactly
casey64
7/29/07 2:40:37PM
If there were a lot of superheavies I would not mind to watch some big people slug it out.
Chris_Keppel
7/29/07 4:44:44PM
135lb class, and 145lb class are for WEC.

Although, if I were Dana White, after this season of TUF I would bring in a 145lb class. How would I go about this? Simple.

The next TUF show, bring in all 145lb'ers. You could bring in Uriah Faber too, or have him be the guy the winner of the show fights for the new 145lb belt.

So, Dana White could bring in 12-20 of the best 145lb'ers in the world, have them fight, the two finalist for the show fight for the belt, or the winner of the two finalist fight Uriah Faber...... and hopefully kick his ass.

That's how I would bring in the 145lb weight class.
JuggaloWarrior878
7/31/07 12:45:37AM
the only super heavyweight i care about is mark hunt hopefully he loses 30 pounds and goes to the ufc. but i think a super heavyweight division would be pretty shallow, and anyone that is too heavy could probably drop to 265 if they needed to
SteedTheDeed
7/31/07 2:51:40AM
dana has had a harsh stanceagainst super heavyweights but Bob Sapp is fun to watch.
jomatty
7/31/07 3:28:11AM
i think hunt is down in weight where it would be a very reasonable cut so thats not whats keeping him out of the ufc
cmill21
7/31/07 3:58:30AM
He's at about 290, he could cut to 265.
hippysmacker
7/31/07 6:07:32AM

Posted by cmill21

He's at about 290, he could cut to 265.

Hunt fought at 250 in a K-1 event. He just doesn't train hard enough IMO.
peachfuzzz1305
8/1/07 10:27:31PM
No i do not think so because it would not be entertaining

it would be fat guys gassing
JimiMak
8/1/07 11:19:44PM
Won't happen. M.Hunt., James Thompson, maybe A emelianenko or a couple other guys would move up... wouldn't have a lot of interest. I just don't see the need for the HW cap. I think the few guys like JT and Hunt that have popularity and skill should be allowed to hover in their natural 240-300 (or whatever, i don't think there's any major names over that range) For the most part you're not going to have a champ over 265, but a few of the guys are good enuf to not get stuck in a boring SHW div.
DNor
8/1/07 11:45:45PM
I think I am the only one who wouldnt mind a SHW in place. I believe Butterbean could throw some real Butter-bombs at opponents. SHW division could potentially provide some short fights that could end in exciting and devastating knockouts that can help out highlight clips. Ive always thought that one punch KO's are very exciting, I do not think it would hurt the UFC. However it would cause Tank Abbott to train even less to go to SHW, but it could make Tank a good fighter even if he trains less.
I wouldnt make the Super Heavy division that huge in the UFC (no pun intended), but they should at least experiement it and throw a match in there and see how it goes.

Ultimate_fighter
8/2/07 12:55:25AM
I think it would be awesome to have a UFC Super heavyweight division.... All the biggest guys sluggin' it out... but i think it would be way better to have a featherweight division
Chris_Keppel
8/9/07 2:13:39PM
I know it's late... but a super heavyweight would be pointless.... Heavyweight is 225+. So super heavyweight would be pointless.

The lighter divisions however, featherweight and super featherweight/bantamweight would be interesting.
LR
8/9/07 2:33:04PM
If Super Heavyweight became a division, Antonio Silva is probably the beast to watch out for. Eric Pele and Ricco Rodriguez. Silva is by far the most talented. Any guy with that kind of weight who can run through a ring and flying knee someone in the face, and then KO them is definitely going to have skills some of the other fighters will not have. I mean, he actually KO'd Cabbage Correira, which is impressive considering Cabbage has never been straight KO'd out cold. I think he may have once to David Abbott, but I can't remember if that was a TKO or KO.
fullerene
8/9/07 3:50:51PM
When Pride and the early UFC had no weight limits at HW it was clear that the best guys under 265 could beat the best guys over 265. That fact makes the champ at SHW kind of irrelevant. I think the division should exist, since there are guys who legitimately weigh too much to make 265, but the quality and depth of fighters there doesn't make for too many compelling fights.
BigTomZ
8/20/07 12:01:15PM
I would love to see the division, but there would be little depth. The only relevant fighters at that class I could think of are Bob Sapp, Mark Hunt, Butterbean, and Tank Abbott.

I also could see Mark Hunt cutting down to 265. I believe Brock Lesnar walks around weighing around 290 and he made 265 for his fight.
DCRage
8/20/07 2:26:36PM
I don't like the idea of it. There would be Tim Sylvia and...well...that's it. And I only suggest Sylvia because I know he sometimes has to cut weight just to make HW limit (265). If we were talking about PRIDE, yeah, but not in UFC.
BigTomZ
8/20/07 9:44:10PM

Posted by DCRage

I don't like the idea of it. There would be Tim Sylvia and...well...that's it. And I only suggest Sylvia because I know he sometimes has to cut weight just to make HW limit (265). If we were talking about PRIDE, yeah, but not in UFC.

I think Sylvia would not be able to survive a super heavyweight division. Guys like Mark Hunt, Bob Sapp, and Butterbean would beat him. His technique of walking in a circle and throwing jabs won't be effective against those more powerful fighters.
Rush
8/22/07 8:24:07AM

Posted by loonytnt

anyone think that ufc needs a superheavy div?

No

1) Not enough fighters
2) the HW division has only just recently gotten interesting enough, but still any fighter out of the top 6-8 is not that much fun to watch. They get tired too easy

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing an open weight division, but due to NSAC rules, I doubt that will ever happen.
KissMyBallz
8/22/07 3:45:38PM
I don't think the UFC should because it would place a black eye on the sport if a bunch of fatasses were in the ring slugging it out.
AAfan
8/22/07 3:56:13PM
i dont think it will happen the guys wont be able to fight long before they gas out
Rush
8/22/07 4:04:24PM

Posted by KissMyBallz

I don't think the UFC should because it would place a black eye on the sport if a bunch of fatasses were in the ring slugging it out.

Tell that to Esch