Should the UFC have a super event like the super bowl or wrestlemania?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should the UFC have a super event like the super bowl or wrestlemania?
KTFOd
3/31/11 11:20:31AM
Title says it all. Should the UFC host 1 event a year where the event is stacked with super fights? For example, if what Dana White says is true about Strikeforce and the UFC being 2 seperate entities, there should be an event dedicated where the Strikeforce champs fight the UFC champs. Or if Strikeforce does get merged into the UFC banner, we have fights on the entire main card that could have been main events on seperate cards. For example, if the UFC had 5 bouts on the main card it would go like this:
Alistair Overeem vs JDS
Cain vs Bigfoot
Dan Henderson vs Gegard Mousasi
Jon Jones vs Rampage
Shogun vs Evans
Budgellism
3/31/11 11:33:17AM

Posted by KTFOd

Title says it all. Should the UFC host 1 event a year where the event is stacked with super fights? For example, if what Dana White says is true about Strikeforce and the UFC being 2 seperate entities, there should be an event dedicated where the Strikeforce champs fight the UFC champs. Or if Strikeforce does get merged into the UFC banner, we have fights on the entire main card that could have been main events on seperate cards. For example, if the UFC had 5 bouts on the main card it would go like this:
Alistair Overeem vs JDS
Cain vs Bigfoot
Dan Henderson vs Gegard Mousasi
Jon Jones vs Rampage
Shogun vs Evans

Let me be the first to say I would love for this to happen and it would probably attract a lot of people. I don't know if the ufc would be willing to put their champs against Strikeforce champs for that fear of a Strikeforce guy winning and making the ufc seem less legit to the fans. It seems like they are determined to drill the fact that they are the best org in the business into our heads over and over again. If they lose that will hurt that credibility in their eyes.
mrsmiley
3/31/11 11:35:00AM
That's originally what the Pride buyout was suppose to be about. The only way I can see this happening is if in the future Zuffa can acquire other promotions but only on the condition that those promotions rise to a level that can rival the UFC(much like Pride did). Pretty much feeding your compitition until it's big enough for you to eat yourself.
It may happen one day but I will be an old man by the time it came to fruition.
kopower
3/31/11 2:32:06PM
Would love to see it happen but don't think it could be as big. I think Dana likes spreading the big draw fighters to numerous cards rather than have one gigantic card.
Cooler
3/31/11 5:08:43PM

Posted by kopower

Would love to see it happen but don't think it could be as big. I think Dana likes spreading the big draw fighters to numerous cards rather than have one gigantic card.

Bingo. Usually the Super Saturday card is what they call a super-card, since its usually one of their biggest names in the main event.

these are all super saturday cards..

UFC 126: Silva vs. Belfort .. legend vs. legend
UFC 109: Couture vs. Coleman .. legend vs. legend .. except really old legends
UFC 94: Penn vs. GSP 2 .. legend vs legend .. this was considered a "superfight" in 09
UFC 81: Breaking Point .. Brock vs Mir was the main draw and Nog vs Timmeh
UFC 67: All or Nothing .. Anderson vs Lutter .. probably the least cared about super saturday.
UFC 57: Liddell vs Couture 3 .. easily the biggest fight in UFC history at that point
UFC 51: Super Saturday .. legend vs. legend, Tito vs Belfort and also Arlovski was a big draw
UFC 46: Supernatural .. legend vs. legend, Couture vs Vitor 2, Penn vs Hughes 1
JimiMak
3/31/11 8:50:27PM
Can't have too many titles on one card because it screws up the cycle and spread on too many belts. It's not just greed from the promotion we wouldn't want to have so much of the year without title fight headliners. These guys don't want to fight more than 3 times a year tops barring injury at the top. It's just not s sport like most where the guys compete that often. A couple times a year we get super stacked cards.
BustedKnuckle
3/31/11 8:52:55PM
To get the timing right woukld be pretty tricky. And with Inuries and what not, keeping the original "SUPERCARD" line-up would also be dificult. I think that Joe Silva does a great job of creating match-ups and making entertaining Events. I cant wait until GSP vs Shields!! A whole month!!!