Suggestions needed...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Suggestions needed...
higdon10
3/30/09 10:28:43PM
I have a buddy thats going to be competing in his first ameteur fight on May 30th. He is fighting at 185, and is currently around 220 lbs. He is starting his diet April 1(tommorow). What should he do with his diet in order to drop some of that weight while retaining his strength??
Wolfenstein
3/30/09 11:18:54PM
Get on a good diet, and focus on aerobic excercises, but also add in as a smaller emphasis resistance training. The resistance training will keep him from losing too much muscle, and the primary focus on aerobic excecises will help him lose the fat.
The_Ho_Bag
3/31/09 4:15:51PM

Posted by higdon10

I have a buddy thats going to be competing in his first ameteur fight on May 30th. He is fighting at 185, and is currently around 220 lbs. He is starting his diet April 1(tommorow). What should he do with his diet in order to drop some of that weight while retaining his strength??

thats redic weight to loose unless hes a pro at losing weight then he should have gone 205 for his 1st fight. if he makes the weight please tell me his secrets i would love to know, i struggle cutting25-30lbs aha
Jackelope
3/31/09 5:34:26PM
Yeah, if he hasn't cut that kind of weight before then please let me know how the hell he does it. That's huge for 2 months.

The best suggestion I can give is to clean up the diet immediately and do lots of cardio. He might be able to get down to 190-195 and then crash diet the rest, but even then it's going to take a huge toll on his body.

In 100% seriousness- has he cut this kind of weight before, and will anyone PROFESSIONAL be supervising his weight loss during this time? I mean that very seriously. Methinks this thread is b.s., but on the off chance that it's for real there are very serious health implications here. Someone who has to ask the question "How should he cut this kind of weight?" to a FORUM has no business doing this kind of weight cut.
higdon10
3/31/09 5:39:48PM
He wrestled in high school and made cuts like this(not this drastic).
The_Ho_Bag
3/31/09 6:08:08PM

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah, if he hasn't cut that kind of weight before then please let me know how the hell he does it. That's huge for 2 months.

The best suggestion I can give is to clean up the diet immediately and do lots of cardio. He might be able to get down to 190-195 and then crash diet the rest, but even then it's going to take a huge toll on his body.

In 100% seriousness- has he cut this kind of weight before, and will anyone PROFESSIONAL be supervising his weight loss during this time? I mean that very seriously. Methinks this thread is b.s., but on the off chance that it's for real there are very serious health implications here. Someone who has to ask the question "How should he cut this kind of weight?" to a FORUM has no business doing this kind of weight cut.

i kind of agree i mean 40lbs is ALOT of weight especially for 2 months , getting down to 190-95 is pushing it, i walk around at 175-180 and cutting to 155 is a pain for me.

im very curious how he does it
Jackelope
4/1/09 3:55:29PM

Posted by higdon10

He wrestled in high school and made cuts like this(not this drastic).

I'm not trying to come off as insulting, mind you, it's just that it is a lot of weight to cut. A lot of times on this training forum we get people asking questions that seem too crazy to be true.

Normally in High School guys are only cutting a couple of pounds, and in the case of coming out of the off season maybe 20 or 30 at most. Usually, anyway.

If you think about it, though- Anderson Silva supposedly cuts from 215-220, and he's a very top level pro. I know guys who are 205 lb. fighters that cut from 225-230 and it can be difficult. 40 lbs. is a helluva lot of weight for an amateur to cut.

Not knowing many things about this guy's physical condition, diet, training regimen, etc... my advice is to talk with his trainer (hoping he has a legitimate one) and find out from him. For 40 lbs. everything is going to need to be tweaked. Diet, exercise routine, water intake, supplement intake, everything. So get hooked up with a pro who can analyze your buddy and do it right
fullerene
4/2/09 8:08:14PM
I'll chime in with chorus of skepticism. Either he's really not doing this or he shouldn't be doing this. It's an amateur fight, meaning he's getting paid $0 and also meaning, in all probability, that it's a very loosely organized event. He should contact the promoter, or have his trainer do so, and say that he needs to find a fighter at HW or LHW for him to face. Two months out is plenty of time to find somebody that spans two of the realistic weights for him to fight in. If this is impossible for some reason then he should weight a couple of months to earn his $0 paycheck and work his weight down in the meantime.

If he's really able to fight at 185 then I'm 99.9% certain that he's out of shape at that high a weight. Rather than putting all of his effort into cutting weight he should take a gradual approach to get in fighting shape closer to his fighting weight and that will make him a better conditioned fighter and it will make the cut more reasonable. Weight cutting isn't meant to hide the fact that you're out of shape and overweight.
innovater450
4/10/09 1:08:08PM
way too much to cut for his first....find a 205 fighter with equal experience.....can't expect to be 100% with that much of a cut (guy in my gym had a similiar situation....and had to run with a sauna suit on 30mins before official weigh in.......bad news)