Sudden death round?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Sudden death round?
Biggz
3/30/11 5:26:26PM
Instead of having a draw, which does nobody any good, fighters included why not just go into a fourth round to break the tie much like they do on TUF.
Any thoughts? just looking for ways to kind of eliminate draws. i think they hurt fighters and their position a lot and the ufc. example: BJ and Fitch the winner was supposed to be the #1 contender. now they gets up on hold so they can fight again.
TS92turbo
3/30/11 5:29:27PM
I like the Idea. I wouldnt have minded seeing Maynard and Edgar go 2 more rounds.
Twenty20Dollars
3/30/11 5:52:01PM
What part of "sudden death" didn't you understand? -Balls of Fury

Yeah, I hate seeing draws. It's like nothing was accoplished. Also neither of them could get their win bonuses.
postman
3/30/11 7:07:54PM
This was brought up before and this is why I don't want it:

Well if you were the clear winner in a fight but bad judging pushed you into a overtime round what makes you think that all of a sudden the judging is going to become just and the real winner of the fight is going to get their hands raised? Time and time agian people try to come up with better scoring systems and overtime rounds or 5 judges droping the top and bottom scores, the fact is if the people judging the fight can't see whats going on weather that be due to the fact they are not versed in the sport or being that close to the cage sucks, nothing we come up with is going to fix the problems of judging in mma. We need judges who are more informed on what they are viewing and we need monitors infront of these judges so they can clearly see what they are watching.

How many draws do we ever get in MMA? When was the last time you counted your scorecard and said I have this fight a draw? Edgar Maynard is the only fight I ever scored a draw. Not to mention what happens when you have two fighters not pushing the pace just a glorifyed sparring session, which by the way is when you get 10-10 rounds for the most part, now we have to watch them go 5 more min. All I ever hear anymore is how fighter A is boring what happens when fighter A takes up your free fight time or PPV dosn't get to put a prelim on cause time is up?
arenakingbras
3/30/11 7:09:46PM
Yeah I agree. The one thing about UFC that I've always like a lot better than boxing was that their fights are an odd number of rounds. It seems stupid to have fights that are 8, 10, 12 rounds. It makes draws so much more likely.
jgtribbett
3/31/11 1:45:38AM
i think that will two major draws recently, judges need to make up their minds. period.
postman
3/31/11 7:39:40AM

Posted by jgtribbett

i think that will two major draws recently, judges need to make up their minds. period.

I disagree sometimes rounds are draws. I score alot more 10-10 and 10-8 rounds then most I think judges need to know more but if a fight is a draw its a draw.
KTFOd
3/31/11 10:09:19AM
Instead of having overtime rounds, I would like to see the UFC mimick K-1, where you let the fighters know who won each round. That way the fighters will know if they are behind or not. I feel this would allow fighters who are losing to become more aggressive.
scoozna
3/31/11 12:03:10PM

Posted by KTFOd

Instead of having overtime rounds, I would like to see the UFC mimick K-1, where you let the fighters know who won each round. That way the fighters will know if they are behind or not. I feel this would allow fighters who are losing to become more aggressive.

this...or since draws happen infrequently we usually get a rematch anyway...which is more $ for fighters, which is good.
roofer1967
3/31/11 4:18:37PM
I wouldn't mind seeing an extra round added when the judges call a fight a draw. That way we always have a winner. The only down side I can posably see is mabe in a title fight were it's a 5 round fight adding a 6th round might be a little tough on the fighters. But I guess if that were to happen then the guy with the better cardio is going to have the advantage. Other then that I can't see why anyone wouldn't want this.
SpicyMeatball
3/31/11 5:23:54PM

Well, Dana is all for it. The big question is if the commission would be up for it.

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/3/31/2083328/ufc-quick-quote-dana-white-would-definitely-explore-an-overtime-round
prozacnation1978
3/31/11 6:09:50PM
it should happen
i hate draws!!!!!!!
Simiroll
3/31/11 6:58:46PM
im not a fan of the OT round idea. draws are a rarity and only reason why they are getting such attention are because of the gray/frankie and bj/fitch bouts. before they were never really an issue.

if people want to compare them to TUF where they go to sudden death...then why not make fights only two rounds and if the rounds are 1-1, then go to a 3rd. would end a lot of fights a lot sooner...and if someone is getting their ass beat down, it would end their suffering a lot sooner too.
underclasshero4
4/7/11 10:57:30AM

Posted by postman

Posted by jgtribbett

I disagree sometimes rounds are draws. I score alot more 10-10 and 10-8 rounds then most I think judges need to know more but if a fight is a draw its a draw.

Other than Edgar vs Maynard which fights do you have going 10-10, or 10-8? I've never scored a fight 10-10. Normally one fighter will do something extra to win the round (knee, leg kicks, takedowns etc.)