I just submitted my instructor

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » I just submitted my instructor
postman
6/7/08 3:54:48PM
YES! I Earned my frist submission over my instructor today, I am so pumped. I also learned a great lesson today. Nothing is going to come to you make it happen don't wait around for others.

I wasn't able to go to class all week due to overtime at work so I was lookig forward to todays class. At the last miniute my wife got called into work and I was in a hurry to find a babysitter. After everyone telling me they had something to do my youngest sister ( Then one I never would ave figured had time. senior in high school) said she would help out.

When I got there no one showed so I was getting and 8 dollar private class! It was a really good class but it was time to wrap it up, luckily he asked if I wanted to go one more round. I said sure! I like to end class from mount and just try to escape without getting submitted he knows this so he really trys to push me in our last match.

As I said he had me mounted and actually pinned my arm down setting up strikes then was going to go for an armbar. I picked up on the pinned arm and got him off balance shot my knee in and hooked a ankle lock. I was stuned. I had no idea if he just gave it to me or what had happened. I looked at him, he smiled and said congrats you just earned your first sub over me.

So if i hadn't tryed to get that sitter and hadn't agreed to go one more round and probley if I would have took the easy way and took side controll i wouldn't be smiling right now! Sorry so long and thanks for reading!
The-Don
6/7/08 5:28:58PM
Congrats man it is an awesome feeling... Expect him next time though to pull out tricks you have never seen... Thats what my instructor did to me first time I caught him. It was months before i caught him again...
Guru
6/7/08 5:40:29PM

Posted by The-Don

Congrats man it is an awesome feeling... Expect him next time though to pull out tricks you have never seen... Thats what my instructor did to me first time I caught him. It was months before i caught him again...

I was gunna say the same thing. GRATS!
postman
6/9/08 9:29:06PM
Yep he came like a bat out of hell and got me with the same ankle lock. But hey it was nice to see the next level. You know nice to see he has another gear that until today I have never seen.
The-Don
6/10/08 2:25:28PM

Posted by postman

Yep he came like a bat out of hell and got me with the same ankle lock. But hey it was nice to see the next level. You know nice to see he has another gear that until today I have never seen.

Yea a good instructor is one who keeps learning himself so that he always has something new to teach you... I myslf am soon going to be working with a BJJ instructor and a muay thai instructor.. I have alot I still need to learn.
fullerene
6/10/08 4:30:57PM
A good instructor who rolls with his students should allow himself to get tapped from time to time IMO when a student performs the techniques to the best of his ability. If he keeps stuffing every technique then there is no way for you to know if you're doing things better or worse. My guess is that you were performing better than you ever had before, but that your instructor was allowing you to finish your move as a reward for this. .

I hope this doesn't throw cold water on your experience, but I'm going to warn you that there is a level of trust when you roll with people--not only for safety but also for "what happens on the mat stays on the mat". You have a respectful tone in this thread, but I'll be honest: I wouldn't want to read ""I just submitted my instructor" after letting a student get a submission on an MMA forum after it happened. And some martial arts instructors (of all styles) have egos a lot more sensitive than mine. This thread reads positively, but I'd suggest not being vocal about subbing this guy to other students at your gym...leave it to your instructor to sing your praises if it's warranted.
Omega
6/10/08 5:58:39PM
If my guys tap me I let them know what level I was going at to put things in perspective. If they can tap me when I'm rolling at a high level it's time for a final promotion.
casey64
6/10/08 6:35:13PM
Congrats.
The-Don
6/10/08 6:41:36PM

Posted by Omega

If my guys tap me I let them know what level I was going at to put things in perspective. If they can tap me when I'm rolling at a high level it's time for a final promotion.

Thats a good way to do it.. but I would guess that has to be hard some times to hold back.. any advice.. cause I have a couple of students I may be able to use something similar on.. one of them once caught me in a perfect guilitine... but because I did not tap right away he let go.. I mean I told him he had it locked in afterwards.. ... I mean I know I have a few moments before I would have had to tap.. he did not know that yet... I am guessing I should ease up on them abit ...
Omega
6/11/08 12:43:45PM

Posted by The-Don

Posted by Omega

Thats a good way to do it.. but I would guess that has to be hard some times to hold back.. any advice.. cause I have a couple of students I may be able to use something similar on.. one of them once caught me in a perfect guillotine... but because I did not tap right away he let go.. I mean I told him he had it locked in afterwards.. ... I mean I know I have a few moments before I would have had to tap.. he did not know that yet... I am guessing I should ease up on them abit ...

First I won't roll with complete beginners. They can abuse themselves on the ground. I used to roll with complete beginners but I kept getting hurt. When I finally roll with a beginner I run them through the ringer, usually tapping them out at will 4 or 5 times within 1 roll or just letting themselves get tired while having a conversation with somebody else on the mat.

After that I bring it down. Whenever I roll I use a simple question. Do you want to roll or do you want me to work with you. If you say roll then it's free rolling and I will grapple just above their respective level. If they ask for me to work with them I'll allow me to tap me as I guide them into submissions. If they crank a submission while I'm talking to them I probably run them through the ringer or not get on the mat with them for awhile until they learn some control.

In our gym there are two no no's you don't do to me:
A. Don't jump guard.
B. Don't go for a gogoplata.

I will make you pay every time.
Guru
6/11/08 1:57:19PM
I really like you system omega Good Job!
The-Don
6/11/08 5:10:46PM

Posted by Omega

Posted by The-Don

Posted by Omega

Thats a good way to do it.. but I would guess that has to be hard some times to hold back.. any advice.. cause I have a couple of students I may be able to use something similar on.. one of them once caught me in a perfect guillotine... but because I did not tap right away he let go.. I mean I told him he had it locked in afterwards.. ... I mean I know I have a few moments before I would have had to tap.. he did not know that yet... I am guessing I should ease up on them abit ...

First I won't roll with complete beginners. They can abuse themselves on the ground. I used to roll with complete beginners but I kept getting hurt. When I finally roll with a beginner I run them through the ringer, usually tapping them out at will 4 or 5 times within 1 roll or just letting themselves get tired while having a conversation with somebody else on the mat.

After that I bring it down. Whenever I roll I use a simple question. Do you want to roll or do you want me to work with you. If you say roll then it's free rolling and I will grapple just above their respective level. If they ask for me to work with them I'll allow me to tap me as I guide them into submissions. If they crank a submission while I'm talking to them I probably run them through the ringer or not get on the mat with them for awhile until they learn some control.

A. Don't jump guard.

I getcha... Mind if I message you privately for some further advice.. I am getting close to opening my school here in TN.. and I like to learn what I can from anyone I can.
postman
6/11/08 6:27:57PM

Posted by fullerene

A good instructor who rolls with his students should allow himself to get tapped from time to time IMO when a student performs the techniques to the best of his ability. If he keeps stuffing every technique then there is no way for you to know if you're doing things better or worse. My guess is that you were performing better than you ever had before, but that your instructor was allowing you to finish your move as a reward for this. .

I hope this doesn't throw cold water on your experience, but I'm going to warn you that there is a level of trust when you roll with people--not only for safety but also for "what happens on the mat stays on the mat". You have a respectful tone in this thread, but I'll be honest: I wouldn't want to read ""I just submitted my instructor" after letting a student get a submission on an MMA forum after it happened. And some martial arts instructors (of all styles) have egos a lot more sensitive than mine. This thread reads positively, but I'd suggest not being vocal about subbing this guy to other students at your gym...leave it to your instructor to sing your praises if it's warranted.

Oh I agree. I wouldn't have even made the post but I know he isn't on this site or any other for that matter. When I went to class on Monday I walked in and he had already told everyone even if he didn't I would have kept my mouth shut. Since he did tell everyone I joked when we were doing stand up that maybe I would knock him out but I know what kind of a guy he is and I knew he only took it as a joke.

He is a really good and very understanding guy he dosn' beat you up if you ask questions and I am very loyal to him. We have a very good relationship he actualy has invited me over for cook outs and things like that.
Omega
6/11/08 6:47:38PM
Anybody can PM as long as it's not spam or temper tantrums.
The_Notorious_ZIG
6/12/08 1:47:46PM
I'll just reiterate what some have already said. Congrats on your first sub. I have also subbed my instructor once......once !!! He on the other hand has subbed me dozens if not 100 times, so its good to keep it in perspective while celebrating your progress.

My instructor has no ego and sees me subbing him as an acheivement on his part for doing a good job teaching. Everytime we roll I feel him testing me, putting me in different situations and seeing how I react.....making me work....see if I'm learning and progressing....most of the time I know he could sub me at anytime....but that would do me no good. Afterwards, he comments on what I did right and what I could have done differently and always has time for questions. I'm pretty fortunate because I hear some instructors at other schools will just destroy students and miss out on teaching opportunities.

There are always those students who may need an ego check and get their ass handed to them before they can really start learning. A good instructor knows how to create that environment.
The-Don
6/12/08 2:40:53PM

Posted by The_Notorious_ZIG

I'll just reiterate what some have already said. Congrats on your first sub. I have also subbed my instructor once......once !!! He on the other hand has subbed me dozens if not 100 times, so its good to keep it in perspective while celebrating your progress.

My instructor has no ego and sees me subbing him as an acheivement on his part for doing a good job teaching. Everytime we roll I feel him testing me, putting me in different situations and seeing how I react.....making me work....see if I'm learning and progressing....most of the time I know he could sub me at anytime....but that would do me no good. Afterwards, he comments on what I did right and what I could have done differently and always has time for questions. I'm pretty fortunate because I hear some instructors at other schools will just destroy students and miss out on teaching opportunities.

There are always those students who may need an ego check and get their ass handed to them before they can really start learning. A good instructor knows how to create that environment.

Great advice..... between that and what omega has posted I already see my own teaching skills improving...
grapplersquest
6/12/08 4:41:32PM
nice
holt8081
6/15/08 3:26:28PM
Hell ya thats a big step congrats brotha
fedorwins1
6/19/08 3:26:34PM

Posted by Omega

A. Don't jump guard.

Why no guard jumps?
The-Don
6/19/08 6:15:25PM
I think its cause he is old : J/K I think its to avoid uneccassary injuy to himself... though it is a good question...
The_Notorious_ZIG
6/20/08 1:11:25PM
It might be because in some gyms jumping guard is considered the less aggressive way to get your opponent down to the ground. Some gyms like to go for the throw or take down and have a more aggressive approach to Jujitsu/Grappling.

As for the Gogo....since it is a rare submission he may consider it an insult to go for it against him.....or he has great counters for it.

Just speculating, but those are 2 things that popped in my head. Jumping guard is sometimes smart if you work well from your back and have a good guard ...or you are against an opponent that clearly has better throws or take downs.....it beats getting slammed or thrown on your head.