Submission of the Year 2008

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Submission of the Year 2008
RhythmAndStyle
1/7/09 3:49:29PM
ok so on Sherdog..they have the Submission of the Year goin to Dustin Huzelette armbar on Josh Burkman..to me i thought it should of been Shinya Aoki gogoplata on Katsuhiko Nagata..who do you guys thought it should of gone to...
EvenFlow
1/7/09 4:24:41PM
Daisuke Nakamura's 2 flying armbars.
aaa9erh8er
1/7/09 4:50:51PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Daisuke Nakamura's 2 flying armbars.

bojangalz
1/8/09 12:33:30AM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle
to me i thought it should of been Shinya Aoki gogoplata on Katsuhiko Nagata..

THe move itself was impressive. But given the context I don't think it deserves a nod. You can see that he was setting it up at least twice earlier in the match. It was clearly wiffle ball for him. He might as well have been sparring at that point. McLovin's armbars both came out of nowhere. His improvision is what makes him so fun to watch. I personally liked the reverse armbar on the Barn Cat more then the armbar from whizzer. Can't go wrong either way though
ncordless
1/8/09 1:26:29AM
I think the armbar was most impressive. Here is why:

1. The armbar was done as a counter to a whizzer which, to my knowledge, has not been done before in mma.

2. Aoki's gogo from mount was sweet but Nagata didn't really defend it at all.

3. The armbar IMO does more to advance the sport. The idea of applying bjj counters to wrestling techniques is one that can still be expanded upon in MMA. Aoki's gogo was very sweet but honestly there are more effective ways to dispatch an opponent who is mounted... especially that high up the torso.

Both were great but to me the armbar was the best.
Mayhem13
1/8/09 1:30:11AM
Hazelett over Burkman
Diamondback2
1/8/09 2:18:06AM
My top 3 were:

1: Hazzlett over Burkman:
Everyone else pretty much pointed out why this rocked. Just so cool and made me an instant Hazzlett fan. I already was but now I'm a hardcore one. Plus it was on Burkman, whom is no punk. Plus the kid's like what? 22? He's my age and right with Dan Lauzon and Chris H.

2: Diaz over Pellegrino
I don't give a damn that it was just a triangle. Because it wasn't. It was a really, really cool triangle!!!!

First of all Nate has such strong legs it took him a full 6 seconds to get Pellegrino in posistion and Pellegrino could not pull out. Then he gets it (also do not forget Pellegrino is a legit BJJ Black Belt under Franca) and locks it in so good that he was able to do the celebration. It was typical Diaz (which I like!) and the first time i think i've ever seen anything like that from a triangle. If you actually watch Kurt he at one point moves his hand like "uh oh, i can't do anything". If it was not for the celebration would not be here. It was officially cooler than high school!

3: Paul Harris over Salverry (sp?)
What an armbar set up!!! I got to admit when i got the UFC 84 dvd and could see the exact set up in great quality i was just like stunned. I had to re-watch it like 10 times. Crazy JJ.

I didn't put Aoki's in here as the guy he did it on was not a good grappler at all and i would bet had never ran into rubber guard b4, let alone a 10th planet Gogo..... If he had pulled on someone legit it would be #1 without a doubt.
State_Champ
1/8/09 11:07:45AM
Palhares vs Salaverry
Palhares armbar from back
prozacnation1978
1/8/09 12:07:49PM
hazlette's both subs over burkman and mccrory looked good
he is the sub king of 2008
and what does he win?? spokesman for subway!!!
jiujitsufreak74
1/8/09 2:25:05PM
i just want to say that people are calling Nagata a bad grappler...he won a silver medal at the 2000 Olympics for Wrestling. you can't call him a bad grappler with that kind of prestige. however, you can say he has bad JJ, but a bad grappler he is not.
Franklinfan47
1/8/09 4:12:19PM
I agree with Hazelett's armbar over Burkman. Simply amazing.
RhythmAndStyle
1/9/09 4:35:04PM
everyone sayin Hazelette armbar on Burkman was better than Aoki front gogoplata..the reason why i thought it should of been the sub of 08'..is because when are u gonna see that again..a front gogoplata...
DevonFoxy
1/9/09 10:20:45PM
no love for the Peruvian Necktie by CB Dollaway?

Cuz thats my pick.
Diamondback2
1/9/09 11:35:49PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i just want to say that people are calling Nagata a bad grappler...he won a silver medal at the 2000 Olympics for Wrestling. you can't call him a bad grappler with that kind of prestige. however, you can say he has bad JJ, but a bad grappler he is not.

I stand corrected if i called him a bad grappler. But wrestling never results in you being mounted and orked form there. Wrestlers are always shaky off thier backs so that does not have alot of bearing to me personally.

I might be bais against the 10th Plant Gogoplata (although it's the correct name ill admit that Aokiplata sounds cooler!) because of my extreme flexibility i use it on newbs (and wrestlers) in the gym all the time.
So that might be why to me it wasnt all that crazy. In years before this would have got it for sure but this year there was 4 crazy subs to pick from!

But in all fairness any of those 4 in my eye s could have been sub of the year, to me there is no wrong pick!
jawbreaker517
1/10/09 12:25:00AM
I think sumission of the year honors should go to Brian Cantwell's breakage of Al Hassan-Razak.
Diamondback2
1/10/09 1:12:49AM

Posted by jawbreaker517

I think sumission of the year honors should go to Brian Cantwell's breakage of Al Hassan-Razak.

Ehhh that was more Al than Steve. If he would have tapped he would have been fine. It's not like Steve locked it and broke it before Al could even tap. THAT would have got it in my mind, but Al had like 15 years to tap....

It is Steve Cantwell for future refrence
MMAcca
1/10/09 1:26:01AM

Posted by Franklinfan47

I agree with Hazelett's armbar over Burkman. Simply amazing.

bls1919
1/10/09 8:50:31PM
For me it was Nate Diaz subbing Pelligrino and throwing the double birds, After taking a brutal beating from Kurt(while in mount) in the first round. Diaz is the real deal and I wil never bet against him.