Submission or TKO

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Submission or TKO
Evilwig
4/16/08 11:54:42AM
I'm bored at work so I taught of asking you guys this question.

What's your favorite match ending TKO or Sub?

I'm asking this because when I first started watching MMA (year and a half ago) I was all about the big KO. But now not so much, I don't mind it but I really prefer a good ground war. To me, submission seems more surprising, exciting and skillful if I might say.

I'm under the impression that fighter who mastered submission worked more that just a striker with big KO power...

Also, I notice that some of my friend who a cusual MMA fan, find it boring when it goes on the ground, as oppose to me. These days I'm more excited for a BJ Penn or Frank Mir match rather than a Chuck Lidell match.
DCRage
4/16/08 12:10:32PM
TKO. Nothing against submissions except there seems to be less action when guys are trying to lock it in on the ground compared to when one guy's pounding away on the other.
tuvok500
4/16/08 12:52:49PM
A nice Rear Naked Choke with an extra 2 sec on it always make me happy !!
emfleek
4/16/08 1:07:18PM
I get just as excited about a sweet submission as I do about a KO.

It's the UD/SD's that bore the shit out of me more often than not.
Jackelope
4/16/08 1:25:46PM

Posted by Evilwig

I'm bored at work so I taught of asking you guys this question.

What's your favorite match ending TKO or Sub?

I'm asking this because when I first started watching MMA (year and a half ago) I was all about the big KO. But now not so much, I don't mind it but I really prefer a good ground war. To me, submission seems more surprising, exciting and skillful if I might say.

I'm under the impression that fighter who mastered submission worked more that just a striker with big KO power...

Also, I notice that some of my friend who a cusual MMA fan, find it boring when it goes on the ground, as oppose to me. These days I'm more excited for a BJ Penn or Frank Mir match rather than a Chuck Lidell match.

Slick groundwork makes a fight 10x more interesting for me. Guida/Griffin comes to mind. Awesome transition game with tons of reversals and some standup thrown in there.

I'm always stoked to see Mir match up against someone because he aggressively attempts submissions. It seems like a lot of guys just play out the patience game and wait for a submission. Mir seems to make them happen. I like that.
MMA_Alex
4/16/08 2:44:23PM
I like the submission game more myself. Nothing like a sweet RNC, Armbar or Triangle. Although, I like the BIG KO's as well (aka Johnson vs. Speer). TKO's are good, but not as good to me.
jiujitsufreak74
4/16/08 2:49:44PM
well with me...its all about submissions (hence the name)

i love it when a fighter gets pummeled and then pulls out the submission victory. this is why i love Big Nog and also am a fan of Drew Fickett.

also, submissions that come from nowhere are the most exciting for me. Sato's flying armbar, Chonan's flying scissor heel hook, Aoki's standing arm-lock, Aoki's flying triangle, and even Aurelio's recent armbar victory...it was beautiful.

I have to add...watching Aoki fight is just beautiful. he has such a wide array of weapons in the submission game and just pulls submissions out of nowhere. his Gogo on Hansen was just perfect and his flexibility and versatility is better then BJ Penn's imho
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/16/08 3:33:23PM
it depends on the fighter. but both give me a chubby
Tein_Lung
4/16/08 3:36:09PM
If it is a good fight i don't care what the outcome is... i hate fights like the Sylvia/Monson... where Sylvia ran away for 25 minutes and got a win... If its an exciting fight its cool no matter the outcome but boring fights make me want to turn off the event and watch something else or fast forward though it...

Not saying that lon fights are bad things like Forrest/Bonnor 1 was a great fight, Hamiil Bisbing was exciting even though Hamil got bent over and raped with a sand paper condom on the outcome but it was still a good fight
Pookie
4/16/08 3:39:10PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

well with me...its all about submissions (hence the name)

i love it when a fighter gets pummeled and then pulls out the submission victory. this is why i love Big Nog and also am a fan of Drew Fickett.

also, submissions that come from nowhere are the most exciting for me. Sato's flying armbar, Chonan's flying scissor heel hook, Aoki's standing arm-lock, Aoki's flying triangle, and even Aurelio's recent armbar victory...it was beautiful.

I have to add...watching Aoki fight is just beautiful. he has such a wide array of weapons in the submission game and just pulls submissions out of nowhere. his Gogo on Hansen was just perfect and his flexibility and versatility is better then BJ Penn's imho

The flexibility is a toss-up IMO who knows... But i agree that Aoki's submission game is a step ahead of Bj's.... Bj's best weapon(and alot of people dont realize this) is his transition game. He gets on your back... its just what he does.
Tein_Lung
4/16/08 4:59:25PM
I still think BJ is only half as good as he could be... he needs to stay at 155 though.. the best LWs in the world are not in the UFC he might be the best in the UFC but i'm sure there are some out there that will blow though him
skinnator
4/16/08 7:04:44PM
TKO. To see fighters punching each other in the dying seconds of the round is pretty exciting
JimiMak
4/16/08 9:18:46PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

I still think BJ is only half as good as he could be... he needs to stay at 155 though.. the best LWs in the world are not in the UFC he might be the best in the UFC but i'm sure there are some out there that will blow though him

Noone beats BJ @ 155, just ask Gomi....

on topic, I like fights w/ a high pace. The sub game is my fav, but I'd rather see an exciting match than a particular style. I like the rare occassion where a guy bangs/grapples for most of the match, then just when you think he's lacking in the other dept he pulls the other off.
Spyderman1074
4/16/08 9:26:36PM
i love a good ko and i love submissions like gogo's or omoplatas they are ******* great when theyre done right.

NatedawgThaM
4/16/08 9:28:28PM
TKO/KO. I'm a wrestler so I love that ground and pound. As homo as it might sound, when I see Diego, Fitch, and Randleman fight, it just gets me off
jiujitsufreak74
4/16/08 9:35:23PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

TKO/KO. I'm a wrestler so I love that ground and pound. As homo as it might sound, when I see Diego, Fitch, and Randleman fight, it just gets me off

yes that sounds quite homo

and on a side note i would love to see Aoki vs Penn...the potential ground game war that would happen or a stand up battle between the two gets me pumped...doesn't get me off like NateDawg...but it gets me pumped
Aaronno9
4/16/08 10:00:32PM
I prefer a good clean k.o. Like franklin vs quarry. I still appreciate a good sub though, and i like the ground game just as much as the stand up game, but when somebody gets cracked with a hook out of nowhere and crumples it always makes me jump out of my seat and shout something. The more it comes out of nothing the better.
Pookie
4/16/08 10:05:17PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by NatedawgThaM

yes that sounds quite homo

and on a side note i would love to see Aoki vs Penn...the potential ground game war that would happen or a stand up battle between the two gets me pumped...doesn't get me off like NateDawg...but it gets me pumped

Dont listen to him Nate, there is nothing wrong with getting off while watching two men grapple and pound each other into submission in order to establish dominance.