Is There a Name For This Submission?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Is There a Name For This Submission?
gsquat
8/4/08 1:25:16PM
K. Its just like a rear naked choke except from the front. And instead of placing your leverage hand on the back of the head you're moving it across their face and under their neck, tucking your hand into your armpit. I've searched and haven't been able to find anything. Anybody help me out?
wiggum
8/4/08 1:58:41PM
could be the anaconda choke....for highlights of this, check out noguiria vs herring in the 04' tournament ...or couture vs van arsdale from ufc 54
Nightmare27
8/4/08 2:11:54PM
The move is called an ezekial choke with a gi on. I have heard it called a couple of things without the kimono, but I am pretty sure thats what you are talking about. It is a very effective choke in BJJ.
Omega
8/4/08 2:26:38PM

Posted by Nightmare27

The move is called an ezekial choke with a gi on. I have heard it called a couple of things without the kimono, but I am pretty sure thats what you are talking about. It is a very effective choke in BJJ.

Ding ding ding...we have a winner.
wiggum
8/4/08 2:40:02PM
could you post a link on the ezekiel choke?...i noticed that the poster said "from the front" but all the clips of this choke that i could find are from the back
gsquat
8/4/08 2:47:24PM
Yeah. I think thats what it is. Def not an anaconda. The chokee's arm is not involved. Just neck. I can't help but to noticed its never been used or even attempted in recent MMA. Seem incredibly effective. I tried it on my friend and he tapped immediately.
bayonetxwork
8/4/08 2:48:52PM

Posted by wiggum

could you post a link on the ezekiel choke?...i noticed that the poster said "from the front" but all the clips of this choke that i could find are from the back

Here is the choke in action.
gsquat
8/4/08 2:51:48PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by wiggum

Here is the choke in action.

Yeah, That is actually what I'm talking about. The others weren't. Doesn't involve any sleeve grabbing. Not just a forearm across the neck either.
wiggum
8/4/08 3:04:30PM
ahhh thanks for posting that!....ive seen that a couple times....hideko yoshida used to advance in the 03 (i believe) pride lhw tournament...he was fighting a gi'd foe
Svartorm
8/4/08 4:41:33PM
I've always just called it a front choke, but thats kind of a vague term anyways. The main problem with it is that you have to shift your weight high on the shoulders to get it in most cases, and that makes it easier for the guy on bottom to escape mount. Its a good fight ender against unskilled opponents though because it allows you to maintain position.
Rush
8/4/08 5:04:08PM

Posted by Svartorm

I've always just called it a front choke, but thats kind of a vague term anyways.

Not that any other judo, jujutsu, aikido technique doesn't have a vague name.
bell9440
8/4/08 10:33:08PM
I always just called it a scissor choke.(no gi)
Jackelope
8/4/08 11:13:00PM
This is actually one of the first chokes you learn in Army combatives. Although I think they call it something like a front sleeve choke or some crazy shit.

I remember when I first learned it. When I got home from basic I choked my brother out with it and he thought it was the coolest thing ever Personally I like the cross collar better than this when wearing a gi, though.
Believe-in-judo81
8/12/08 11:03:36AM

Posted by Svartorm

I've always just called it a front choke, but thats kind of a vague term anyways. The main problem with it is that you have to shift your weight high on the shoulders to get it in most cases, and that makes it easier for the guy on bottom to escape mount. Its a good fight ender against unskilled opponents though because it allows you to maintain position.

Yeah, if you use the term front choke I think standing guilotine, because that's what I've always heard it referred to as outside of MMA, describes a few techniques well enough to bring up confusion though.