with the KO/Sub/and fight of the year, how bout rookie of the year

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » with the KO/Sub/and fight of the year, how bout rookie of the year
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
12/27/08 10:56:57AM
The stipulation of course is their 1st fight in the UFC has to be in 2008.

which the obvious Rookie of the Year is Brock Lesnar 2-1 with wins over Herring and Couture and his one loss to Frank Mir but he's a rookie with a title an interim one but one none the less

other fighters who should get praise in their first year in the octagon are:

Cain Velasquez-2-0 wins over Obrien and brad morris
Shane Carwin-2-0 wins over Wellisch and Neil Wein
Dong Hyun Kim-2-0 wins over Matt Brown and tan
Matt Brown-2-1 wins over arroyo & ryan thomas Loss to ^^KIm
Dan and Jim Miller both 2-0 Dan Miller defeated Kimmons and Horwich. Jim defeated wiman and david baron
Tim Boetch-2-1 wins over David Heath and Mike Patt loss to Hamil
Paul Kelly-1-1 win over Paul Taylor loss to Marcus D
Jason Day-1-1 win over Belcher loss to bisping
Rousimar Palharas-1-1 wins over salaverry loss to henderson
Kevin Burns-2-1(1-1 in my opinion) but either way an impressive win over Carneiro and the loss to johnson

then theres-Amir Sadollah/ Junior Dos Santos/ Steve Cantwell/
Ryan Bader/ Efrain Escudero/ Philipe Nover/ Eliot Marshall/ and Krystoff Soszynski

Jackelope
12/27/08 11:08:50AM
You really gotta give it up to those TUF guys. They had 6 fights this year, and 4 of them were in a real close time frame. Each guy went 6-0, so major props to each of them
postman
12/27/08 12:03:28PM
My Vote is for Cain. Props to Brock but he got beat pretty quickly by Mir Wrote Heath a letter telling him he was going to punch him in the face and Heath did nothing about it and He IMO was getting beat by Randy but slipped a good punch in behind Randys ear. His Skill set isn't near what Cains is.
Twenty20Dollars
12/27/08 1:47:24PM
Maia
higdon10
12/27/08 2:13:57PM
Has to be Maia
Jackelope
12/27/08 2:37:16PM

Posted by higdon10

Has to be Maia

He made his debut in 2007
Aether
12/27/08 2:37:25PM
I think Lesnar would have to be the most sensible pick for an award like that. Whether you love him or hate him, think he is undeserving of the fights he got or not, he still beat 2 top level competitors and nearly beat a third, as well as winning the belt from one. I don't think there are any rookies who can top that.
Wolfenstein
12/27/08 2:50:47PM
Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal. He TKO'd Travis Wiuff (a guy with over sixty MMA fights against some good competition) in his first fight in under two minutes. He then TKO' a tough Chute Boxe fighter in Fabio Silva.

He came in known as a dominant wrestler and proved he has striking to. The guy exudes charisma and by late 09' or early 2010, I expect him in the UFC where he'll make a big splash and become champion one day.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
GrandMaster313
12/27/08 3:15:11PM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

The stipulation of course is their 1st fight in the UFC has to be in 2008.

which the obvious Rookie of the Year is Brock Lesnar 2-1 with wins over Herring and Couture and his one loss to Frank Mir but he's a rookie with a title an interim one but one none the less

other fighters who should get praise in their first year in the octagon are:

Cain Velasquez-2-0 wins over Obrien and brad morris
Shane Carwin-2-0 wins over Wellisch and Neil Wein
Dong Hyun Kim-2-0 wins over Matt Brown and tan
Matt Brown-2-1 wins over arroyo & ryan thomas Loss to ^^KIm
Dan and Jim Miller both 2-0 Dan Miller defeated Kimmons and Horwich. Jim defeated wiman and david baron
Tim Boetch-2-1 wins over David Heath and Mike Patt loss to Hamil
Paul Kelly-1-1 win over Paul Taylor loss to Marcus D
Jason Day-1-1 win over Belcher loss to bisping
Rousimar Palharas-1-1 wins over salaverry loss to henderson
Kevin Burns-2-1(1-1 in my opinion) but either way an impressive win over Carneiro and the loss to johnson

then theres-Amir Sadollah/ Junior Dos Santos/ Steve Cantwell/
Ryan Bader/ Efrain Escudero/ Philipe Nover/ Eliot Marshall/ and Krystoff Soszynski

Your missing Junior Dos Santos KO when he fought Werdum!!!!!!!!
DJSyko
12/27/08 3:30:14PM
Tough one but i think you would have to with Brock with out a doubt because winning the HW title in your first year is a huge achievement, although i thought Carwin or Velasquez could of easily done the same but didnt get the chance.
TimW001
12/27/08 3:43:36PM
Lesnar
Twenty20Dollars
12/27/08 4:21:14PM
yeah but i still think of maia as a rookie.
Bowen50
12/27/08 4:40:40PM
how about Jim and Dan Miller. both are 2-0 with very impressive performances.