Anybody studied up on the Gaia hypothesis out there?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Anybody studied up on the Gaia hypothesis out there?
Jackelope
11/23/08 11:18:39PM
Just curious to see if anybody knows what Gaia is all about and they would like to have a discussion about it. It's a fascinating topic to me. Although I'll admit I know very little. Here's some questions I have-

1) Does the Gaia theory/hypothesis support God? And vice versa?

2) Supposing the theory/hypothesis is true, does that mean humans really are a virus?

The questions are limitless, but I'll leave them at that for now. I can't help but wonder certain things when I consider the concept of Gaia. I'm not sure whether I believe it or not. It seems to make so much sense, but I'm also a believer in Darwinism, so I tend to question the motivation of organisms working together on a grand scale. Then again, that leads me even farther down an intellectual road because that would suggest that perhaps there is actually a God out there controlling it all while the organisms go through their survival instincts oblivious to the fact that they're helping each other the whole time. So does that mean Gaia is God, or is God controlling Gaia? It's all very interesting and I'd certainly like to hear other people's take on all of this.
soundboy1
11/24/08 12:13:29AM
Gaia fits nicely into my belief system. I believe if there is a god and he did create us or is aware of us that he does not actively participate in our daily lives. But he could participate in the systems that effect us without our control.
I do think that humans are a form of virus and that if you observed us from far we would just seem like ants.

I think Gaia theory is just a name for the feeling that whenever something happens it's for a reason. I just heard about this and would like to learn more...
seanfu
11/24/08 2:19:30PM
I think you might be talking about a different one but Gaia as I've read about is the theory of an earthly consciousness.

There is scientific evidence toward a global pulse. I'm not read up on it but they measure sort of a pulse of the earth.

It doesn't support god in the image that christians and many other religions have. God as a being that is humanlike in appearence and all that.

Gaia, if you follow spiritualist of Hindu/other religions, however, does support god.

The theory that earth is conscious also has "cleansing theory". That means that the earth, sensing our threat and damage to the equilibrium of the planet, is changing to get rid of us to at least minumise the threat.

Between the heightened volcanic activity, occouring pole shift, and feircer storms, these are seen as protective mechanisms by Gaia beleivers.
Although most of these can be explained by science.

But if you are a beleiver in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or similar religions and you beleive in the god that is described in those pages then the theory would probably not move you either way.
Rush
11/24/08 4:12:20PM
The Gaia hypothesis that Jackelope described sound similar to the one on wikipedia. I've never read into it, but if I find the time I will. Sounds interesting.
Jackelope
11/24/08 10:24:52PM

Posted by Rush

The Gaia hypothesis that Jackelope described sound similar to the one on wikipedia. I've never read into it, but if I find the time I will. Sounds interesting.

That's the one I read up on. Like I said, I haven't studied much on it, but what I did read I found fascinating.

I think you might be talking about a different one but Gaia as I've read about is the theory of an earthly consciousness.

There is scientific evidence toward a global pulse. I'm not read up on it but they measure sort of a pulse of the earth.

It doesn't support god in the image that christians and many other religions have. God as a being that is humanlike in appearence and all that.

Gaia, if you follow spiritualist of Hindu/other religions, however, does support god.

The theory that earth is conscious also has "cleansing theory". That means that the earth, sensing our threat and damage to the equilibrium of the planet, is changing to get rid of us to at least minumise the threat.

Between the heightened volcanic activity, occouring pole shift, and feircer storms, these are seen as protective mechanisms by Gaia beleivers.

But if you are a beleiver in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or similar religions and you beleive in the god that is described in those pages then the theory would probably not move you either way.

From what I've read it would seem like the natural tendency of the Gaia planet would be to quell volcanic activity in order to maintain an equilibrium of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Unless the Gaia planet would purposely try to rid itself through poisoning us and the atmosphere. That doesn't seem to make much sense that it would do that, though because it would destroy its own plants, too.

Bare with me on this one. I'm about to go some place crazy-

If you think of the universe as a body, and the Gaia earth as a cell within that body, how much sense would it make to think that we're nothing more than an infected cell? At this point what does the universal body do? Does it get rid of that one cell? Does it cleanse the cell by attacking it with white blood cells? Or does it let the cell continue on with its affliction and possibly spread to other cells? Very interesting thoughts, although I'm not sure on the possibilities.

I know I sound like a pothead, but I swear I haven't touched the stuff. These are all musings I was having to myself last night. (amongst many others) I think once school is out this semester I'll pick up a book on Gaia and seek out some of these answers. I'm sure I'll only be left with more confusion though
Rush
11/24/08 10:42:32PM
I'm actually going to read some real journal articles on this thing, not the wiki insert.

Just reading a few abstracts tells me that a lot of this work is simulation based, but I will know better after reading some reveiws.
seanfu
11/24/08 11:07:11PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Rush

That's the one I read up on. Like I said, I haven't studied much on it, but what I did read I found fascinating.

From what I've read it would seem like the natural tendency of the Gaia planet would be to quell volcanic activity in order to maintain an equilibrium of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Unless the Gaia planet would purposely try to rid itself through poisoning us and the atmosphere. That doesn't seem to make much sense that it would do that, though because it would destroy its own plants, too.

Bare with me on this one. I'm about to go some place crazy-

If you think of the universe as a body, and the Gaia earth as a cell within that body, how much sense would it make to think that we're nothing more than an infected cell? At this point what does the universal body do? Does it get rid of that one cell? Does it cleanse the cell by attacking it with white blood cells? Or does it let the cell continue on with its affliction and possibly spread to other cells? Very interesting thoughts, although I'm not sure on the possibilities.

I know I sound like a pothead, but I swear I haven't touched the stuff. These are all musings I was having to myself last night. (amongst many others) I think once school is out this semester I'll pick up a book on Gaia and seek out some of these answers. I'm sure I'll only be left with more confusion though

Good point, at least you're trying to think for yourself. Personally though I think you are over simplifying it. The earth has a staggering complexity to maintaining an equilibrium or any of the earths processes, so to simplify it down to a cell would be overdone.

The stuff specifically that I mentioned only fits with cleansing theory, which is highly questionable in it'self. If you want actually decent and diverse info though, you're going to have to look on the internet beyond WIKI., and also find a site without religious bias.

If you typed something like "measuring earths pulse" you might get some good scientific base as well.
Jackelope
11/24/08 11:11:41PM

Posted by seanfu

Good point, at least you're trying to think for yourself. Personally though I think you are over simplifying it. The earth has a staggering complexity to maintaining an equilibrium or any of the earths processes, so to simplify it down to a cell would be overdone.

The stuff specifically that I mentioned only fits with cleansing theory, which is highly questionable in it'self. If you want actually decent and diverse info though, you're going to have to look on the internet beyond WIKI., and also find a site without religious bias.

If you typed something like "measuring earths pulse" you might get some good scientific base as well.

Yeah, I'm usually one to call Wiki out on being mostly b.s. but alas, it was the only thing I got a chance to read at this point.

Like I said- when school is out I am definitely going to read more into this. I know a little bit about the way the earth works from a darwinist point of view (I'll admit it- I'm a Richard Dawkins reader- so what I know is based on biology)

Good to see other people interested in the hypothesis/theory, though!
Rush
11/25/08 8:41:21PM

Posted by seanfu

so to simplify it down to a cell would be overdone.

Obviously your are not into cell biology. lol