Which will be the strongest MMA org this time next year?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Which will be the strongest MMA org this time next year?
POLL: Which league will finish 2008 the strongest?
IFL 2% (1)
WEC 37% (22)
EliteXC 34% (20)
HDNet 7% (4)
M-1 15% (9)
K-1 MMA 5% (3)
fullerene
12/26/07 1:35:18PM
I'm assuming the UFC is still #1. There are probably threads somewhere else if you want to dispute that. But who will be #2?

I'll make a poll--add someone else if I'm missing the org you're thinking of.
(I wanted to include Bodog in my poll, but didn't have room)

My thoughts are that K-1 or M-1 will probably have the biggest events but that they will be infrequent. I see EliteXC as being well-structured in the way they are buying multiple feeder leagues and broadcasting high quality shows through Showtime on a semi-regular basis.

tuvok500
12/26/07 1:42:42PM
I voted WEC .
the fact that they are under the control of the UFC tell me that they will be able to build up there line-up without having to compete with the UFC to keep some goods fighters.

Elite /XC is close third, but i really think that there champs are just there temporary and they will eventually be sighed by the UFC.

hotrodttt
12/26/07 1:52:31PM
I'm saying HDNet because they might be able to get Floyd Mayweather into MMA and that would be huge but they need to keep the fighters they have now like Meyhem, Trigg, and Liam Micarthy because they are beasts and they need to keep signing good free agents like Josh Barnett.

But I still think people will see the UFC the " Ultimate Proving Grounds " of all of MMA and it is. They have the best fighters and have the best production and have a tv station in Spike which is an easy channel to find and it gets way more exposure than all other organizations.
fullerene
12/26/07 2:41:15PM
I voted EliteXC myself. They followed the boxing model of getting an experienced promoter (Goosen) and fight promotion network (Showtime) and then use talent for particular events rather than trying to put all their marbles into one league.

I would hate to see it be K-1 or WEC, although they are likely candidates. K-1 because it means two big events per year and nothing else and WEC because it would mean that the UFC had solidified its position (nothing against them, but I think competition is good for fans and fighters).
loonytnt
12/26/07 4:13:20PM
EliteXC imo just because people i talk to dont know what m-1 is( you hear about M-1 gettin fedor? '' you mean K-1??'') dont really which wec,ifl but if they got showtime they are watchin it
12/26/07 9:21:40PM
IF(big if) M-1 can get Hunt, Barrnett, Rothwell, AA(if he leaves the UFC) and eventually Randy, on top of Fedor, they would have a great HW division, plus all of the LW's that are scheduled to be on the new years's card plus gomi and hellboy and all of the other pride LW's that are not signed with anyone. they have some decent guys beetween there, Arona, Akiyama, Bustamante. they are also working with HDnet who could be willing to lend out some decent fighters- Trigg, Edwards, Spratt.
Kpro
12/27/07 2:12:54AM
I voted HDNet, with Elite XC second, followed by M1.

Something along the lines of 'don't bet against a billionaire' swarmed my logic.
Mastodon2
12/27/07 2:46:39AM
I voted EliteXC. I've been watching some of their stuff on the extreme sports channel here in the UK, only shown at like 1am at night, but some of the fights are entertaining. They seem to be a pretty strong name in America, so I'll go with them.

As for HDnet and Mayweather, it will never happen. It's just marketting. Call me a cynic, but Unless Mayweather was offered a payday considerably bigger than his boxing purses (to cover the risk of embarressment should he lose) then he'd never get into an MMA fight. It's just talk, unfortunately.
cmill21
12/27/07 3:10:54AM

Posted by Mastodon2

I voted EliteXC. I've been watching some of their stuff on the extreme sports channel here in the UK, only shown at like 1am at night, but some of the fights are entertaining. They seem to be a pretty strong name in America, so I'll go with them.

As for HDnet and Mayweather, it will never happen. It's just marketting. Call me a cynic, but Unless Mayweather was offered a payday considerably bigger than his boxing purses (to cover the risk of embarressment should he lose) then he'd never get into an MMA fight. It's just talk, unfortunately.

I agree that that will not happen, Floyds hands + mma gloves = career disaster.
theman209
12/27/07 11:34:06AM
It was between EliteXC and WEC for me. I voted for WEC as I think Zuffa can invest a lot into the WEC and make it grow next year. EliteXC will be good too but I think WEC nicks it.
Kracker_Jap
12/28/07 12:37:06PM
The Wec shouldn't be on the list,its owned by Zuffa

But I voted for them anyway

2nd to them Elite Xc
mma75
12/31/07 3:34:42PM
how about strike force .They had some good show last year and rummor have it they are getting a t.v deal befor the march fight card. But out of the list i pick elite xc.
warglory
12/31/07 4:27:12PM
Elite XC will quickly rise to dominate the second tier orgs. I think that M-1 will peddle in obscurity as far as the U.S. market goes for the entire year, and K-1 can't even figure out how to sell their DVDs in the U.S. let alone putting on a profitable event.

Elite XC has the most publicly acknowledged women's division in the Western market, and it has a stable, financial backing that has the potential to be even bigger than the UFC. While M-1 is blowing their load on big names, Elite XC and even to a lesser degree Strikeforce are building up their ranks with a solid undercard that they can call their own instead of constantly having to import new talent.

Also, with the number of orgs owned and operated by Pro Elite, their flagship org will have no problem getting the talent they need when they need it.
tylerlee123
1/1/08 2:53:51PM
Elite XC and K-1 are putting on really good fights now and they are continuing to sign the best fighters if this keeps up UFC may not be #1 for ever
DoctorKilljoy
1/1/08 7:07:43PM
hard to decide when i cant watch almost any of them on tv for free, most peopel cant afford to buy HDnet or or PPV or whatever to get M-1 or K-1 elite xc isnt on tv, bodog and IFL are barely on tv, so it has to be the ufc until the other orgs get there act together
corey
1/1/08 7:45:48PM
i voted for wec i think already its becoming well established in the mma industry even though it is owned by zuffa they do have alot of well rounded fighters with a shit load of talent its fun and exciting to watch urijah faber is a beast id like to see him come over to the ufc and go against bjp or sherk that would be sweet
allrampage
1/11/08 4:41:59PM
I'd have to say EliteXC because of their fighters. I was about to go with HDNET but this delay in their next fight who knows whats going on.

As far as UFC grabbing eliteXC champs, i dont think that would be possible as anytime i see elitexc sign somebody its for a multi year and/or fight contract.

so not in 2008
Pitbull09
1/12/08 11:56:09PM
I voted Elite XC. I wouldnt mind WEC either but I hope M-1 burns. I dont want to have to pay for card that I only want to see Fedor in.
Daddyprimetime
1/13/08 7:36:21PM
I went with the WEC because they have Zuffa financing them and they have the television exposer on cable tv on the VS. channel. So they get the 1st spot behind the UFC.

The IFL is struggling because even though they have a couple of names people can regonize, they don't have the depth. I give them the 3rd spot for tv coverage on FSN.

EliteXC has some very good fighters, such as Diaz, Noons, Rua, Shields, and Lawler, but I just don't see some of these guys staying with the org. I would give the 2nd spot to them.

HDNet doesn't have the exposure or the fighters, though they do have a few, to make a big impact. They come in the 5th spot in my book.

M-1 doesn't stand a chance in my mind because they don't have the big names to bring in a big fan base and they are only centered around Fedor. They get the 4th spot because of the Fedor train.

K-1 is more looked upon as kick boxing and their MMA side just hasn't ever exploded so I don't see that changing in 2008. K-1 comes in 6th because I just don't see anything changing about them.

Overall I see it as:
1. UFC
2. WEC
3. IFL
4. EliteXC
5. M-1
6. HDNet Fights
7. K-1 MMA

Just my thoughts on the orgs in the following year.