Should the UFC strip Serra of the title if he isn't ready by April? Over a year wait?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should the UFC strip Serra of the title if he isn't ready by April? Over a year wait?
POLL: Should Serra get stripped if he can't defend by April?
Yes he should lose the title 57% (29)
No everyone in the WW division can wait 43% (22)
Tailgunner
1/1/08 5:18:17PM
Should Serra get stripped if he can't defend within a year?
juanez13
1/1/08 5:35:06PM
i dont think they will, the year wait isnt really his fault, ti was because of TUF, so his injury wasnt what made the major part of the time delay.......and also GSPis also a champ right now, so if neccesary he can defend the interm title.....but all in all i think serra will be able to fight, and everything will be solved
bullettdodger
1/1/08 5:35:22PM
This is a tough one, cause the division has been "on hold" for such a long time already... but thats not totally serra's fault cause Dana loves his "reality" tv. Serra has only been injured fairly recently. Hopefully he'll get better soon so GSP can mess him up with ruthless abandon... but i guess that is just one bridge dana will have to cross when we all get there.

EDIT: my post is exactly the same as the one above mine... didn't see it when i tried to post. Good to know someone else is on the same page
BTizzle
1/1/08 6:34:49PM
I don't see a problem with being stripped. I mean so he'll lose the belt but he'd also be first in line for a shot when he comes back.
JuggaloWarrior878
1/1/08 7:44:16PM
no cause he wasnt injured the whole year they had him do tuf and that takes a while if he wasnt one of the coaches he would have fought already.
Franklinfan47
1/1/08 8:20:23PM
Exactly. Its the ufc's own fault for putting him on the tuf show right after winning the title. So to strip him would be pretty unfair imo.
TimW001
1/1/08 8:28:43PM
It doesn't matter if he gets stripped or not. GSP will still need to beat him at one point.
bls1919
1/1/08 10:42:07PM
I think this is a non issue. The man is severly hurt. How do you penilize him for that. That is why the make an "interm" belt. so that the guys fighting can still proceed with their route to a championship
loonytnt
1/1/08 11:07:43PM
no, they got a belt out there atm so theres no way they are going to do that

GSP got the belt that will be fought for tell serra can fight
Tailgunner
1/1/08 11:20:10PM
Interim belts are bullsh*t IMO.

No matter the reason you can't put an entire division on hold for over a year period and some bogus interim belt doesn't cut it!!!
juanez13
1/1/08 11:55:31PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Interim belts are bullsh*t IMO.

No matter the reason you can't put an entire division on hold for over a year period and some bogus interim belt doesn't cut it!!!

its your opinion that the interm title is bull....but really it isnt because it keeps the division rolling, there is no hold anymore, and if for some reason serra cant fight in time for ufc 83 or whenever he is due to fight, there is still another champ (GSP) who can fight the top contender......just look at this way, the interm title is LIKE being the pride champ, and serra is the UFC champ, so if for some reason serra cant fight, GSP will defend his pride title, and when serra is ready they will unify the Belts...
ufcboss
1/1/08 11:56:32PM
I say, If by the Canada show Serra is not able to fight, Strip him and GSP, Then set up GSP V Fitch for the title.
HeadhunterRed
1/2/08 12:11:42AM
yes...i said the same thing about rampage too, these waits are b/s you should be fighting 3-4 times a year with the title
hippysmacker
1/2/08 1:27:57AM

Posted by juanez13

i dont think they will, the year wait isnt really his fault, ti was because of TUF, so his injury wasnt what made the major part of the time delay.......and also GSPis also a champ right now, so if neccesary he can defend the interm title.....but all in all i think serra will be able to fight, and everything will be solved

Exactly. The UFC brass were the ones who delayed the title shot for the last TUF, so I see no reason to punish Serra for it so quickly. I say give him till June.
telnights
1/2/08 3:36:17AM
April is a little to soon. It isn't his fault for the down to for TUF. But I bet they do strip him if he doesn't make it back by June. There isn't much info coming out of his camp as to how bad his back is or what the doctors think his return date might be. That is a really bad sign at this point.

seanfu
1/2/08 3:06:55PM
he shou;t get first dibbs to the title fight after recovery though.