Striking vs Grappling

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Striking vs Grappling
POLL: Do you enjoy the grappling or striking of MMA more?
Striki?ng 50% (13)
Grappling 50% (13)
xthe_scottx
2/20/07 9:19:18PM
Do you enjoy the grappling or striking of MMA more? I personally enjoy the grappling aspect of MMA more. What got me into MMA was the skill of the very talented submission grapplers in the sport. Your Thoughts?
OB_Juan
2/20/07 9:43:49PM
Both? I like either one if it's a skilled fighter in there. KO or sub, I don't care if the fight gets stopped.
hippysmacker
2/20/07 10:02:54PM
I don't care as long as it's exciting. Recently Sanchez/Diaz is still one of my favorite fight's and it was mostly on the ground. I loved the domination of Randy/Tito , but I think a lot of newer fans appreciate standup more, because they still don't understand some of what they are seeing on the ground. The best fight's have a lot of both to me. While a lot of people would prefer a Griffin/Bonnar 1 which is a great standup war. I'll take Bog Nog/ Barnett , Shogun / Lil Nog , Sanchez/Karo , Hughes/Penn2,Crusher/ Melendez ,Grove/Herman all in the last couple of years for their back and forth everywhere.
xthe_scottx
2/20/07 10:12:20PM

Posted by OB_Juan

Both? I like either one if it's a skilled fighter in there. KO or sub, I don't care if the fight gets stopped.

I totally agree. I don't just watch MMA for the ground game but I do prefer a Submission over a KO.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/20/07 10:27:14PM
I enjoy striking more than grappling, but I gotta agree with Hippysmacker that just as long as both guys are keeping busy.

I myself have a lot more fun at kickboxing sparring than rolling with someone but both are fun
ac_gi
2/21/07 1:20:09AM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

I enjoy striking more than grappling, but I gotta agree with Hippysmacker that just as long as both guys are keeping busy.

I myself have a lot more fun at kickboxing sparring than rolling with someone but both are fun

I agree with you about sparring. It's more fun for me to throw strikes than roll.

Watching... I like it all. I will enjoy a ground battle as well as a stand up one.
Svartorm
2/21/07 2:43:23AM
Watching, I like both pretty much equally. Stand up fighting is more exciting I think, but really good grappling is more "artistic" for lack of a better word. Its just cool to watch, like Saku/Newton for instance.

For fighting, I'd rather roll with someone than stand-up fight. I feel more at home on the ground.
Ultimate_fighter
3/3/07 4:54:07PM
Nothing beats grappling, you can take ur opponent down and beat there ass or make em' quit from the tapout. It don't get better than that. Submissions mean that you pulled off total dominence on ur opponent.
JimiMak
3/3/07 5:39:36PM
I like both, but it's the artistry of grappling that made me an MMA addict.

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

Submissions mean that you pulled off total dominence on ur opponent.

Have to disagree... I've seen a lot of submissions where total dominance wasn't the factor. I've seen a few where someone is getting pwnd until the pull something out of their ***.
Snacks
3/3/07 5:44:47PM
What's Striki?ng?
Trapt1nw0nder
3/3/07 6:15:14PM
a mixture of both is the best.....Ex. Penn/Hughes,Edgar/Griffin,

the most over-rated fight IMO was Bonnar/Griffin 1.....that was one of the lamest fights i have seen....i dont think it was entertaining
JimiMak
3/3/07 7:26:45PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

the most over-rated fight IMO was Bonnar/Griffin 1.....that was one of the lamest fights i have seen....i dont think it was entertaining

That wasn't entertaining? I'm not saying it was the best fight, but everyone I know wether they watch MMA or not, liked it. I know several ppl who said if all fights were like that they would watch it. Action from bell to bell is important, not just clean technique.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/3/07 7:32:13PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

That wasn't entertaining? I'm not saying it was the best fight, but everyone I know wether they watch MMA or not, liked it. I know several ppl who said if all fights were like that they would watch it. Action from bell to bell is important, not just clean technique.

naw man..i didnt like it.......you can pay bums $5 a pop and make them throw down and im sure you will be just as entertained then......again..thats just my opinion,i know alot of people loved it,but thats why i say its over-rated

technique is much more entertaining for me....
JimiMak
3/4/07 3:34:38AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

naw man..i didnt like it.......you can pay bums $5 a pop and make them throw down and im sure you will be just as entertained then......again..thats just my opinion,i know alot of people loved it,but thats why i say its over-rated

I agree that technique is better, but you have to realise that we are a small portion of their audience (and an even smaller portion fo their potential audience) And I'm not about to argue talent because we all know the answer there but if you don't think that match was better than... idk, say... most Ricardo Arona matches, then idk what to say. You can have all the talent in the world and not be fun to watch. I love technique, but there also has to be movement. It's a fine line. Some ppl, I think, use great technique to stall and that's not fun

.And I definitely think you shouldn't be comparing Griffen/ Bonnar to two bums who don't know how to get in and bang.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/4/07 6:50:45AM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

I agree that technique is better, but you have to realise that we are a small portion of their audience (and an even smaller portion fo their potential audience) And I'm not about to argue talent because we all know the answer there but if you don't think that match was better than... idk, say... most Ricardo Arona matches, then idk what to say. You can have all the talent in the world and not be fun to watch. I love technique, but there also has to be movement. It's a fine line. Some ppl, I think, use great technique to stall and that's not fun

.And I definitely think you shouldn't be comparing Griffen/ Bonnar to two bums who don't know how to get in and bang.

well....im not gonna type up a storm just to prove a point so i will just say this....

I didnt like it..
migo
3/4/07 6:55:50PM

Posted by Snacks

What's Striki?ng?

The ? is a glottal stop. Imagine hiccuping right before the ng.
chris_armour
7/25/07 6:25:34PM
Personally I enjoy grappling a more and think it is a little or dominant than striking. You can hit the hell out of somebody and not even damage them, but when you are about to break their arm or choking them out and they submit, there is no " it was a lucky shot" you simply got the better of them and made them ask you to stop.

Don't get me wrong though the feeling after a KO is great too.
Mastodon2
7/25/07 7:08:50PM
I prefer the stand up, Im a striker at heart!

That said, I love the grappling too, I love them both, thats why I watch MMA and not just K-1 exclusively. They are both beautiful arts, and nothing better than seeing them being skilfully combined.
The-Don
6/29/08 6:11:05PM
well I tied it up with GRappling... I enjoy a good strike now and then.. but I just love the chess match two good grappelrs can put on...