ufc/strikforce merge?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » ufc/strikforce merge?
1daveufc
3/14/11 3:46:38PM
Am just wondering if anyone else thinks once the contract with showtime is up in 2 years time we will see a merge between the ufc and strikeforce the same way the wec merged.
emfleek
3/14/11 3:51:00PM

Lorenzo says Showtime deal goes into 2014, not into 2012 as has been reported.

But to answer your question...yes. A merge is inevitable.
prozacnation1978
3/14/11 3:55:47PM
Not necessarly

As fight contracts are up in next two years. People like hendo and mayhem will jump to ufc.
But yes in two years. No more strikeforce for sure
grappler0000
3/14/11 3:56:46PM
I say that's the most likely scenario. If the logistics make sense for them to keep SF around as a feeder league when the time comes, then they may do that, but I'd say that's not likely.
Budgellism
3/14/11 5:52:50PM

Posted by grappler0000

I say that's the most likely scenario. If the logistics make sense for them to keep SF around as a feeder league when the time comes, then they may do that, but I'd say that's not likely.

As much as I would love for that and as much as it does make sense, it won't happen. They're going to eventually pick the bones and leave the rest behind so to speak. The ufc is going to eventually rule the world whether we like it or not.
grappler0000
3/14/11 6:19:09PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by grappler0000

As much as I would love for that and as much as it does make sense, it won't happen. They're going to eventually pick the bones and leave the rest behind so to speak. The ufc is going to eventually rule the world whether we like it or not.

That's pretty much why I said "if". It will only happen if it makes sense. Things can change in a few years, just as they did since the purchase of Pride. It's not a likely scenario, but only time will tell.
postman
3/14/11 8:28:20PM
I would love for there to still be a high profile place for me to catch fighters like Brandon Vera Rich Clemente Ellioit Marshal or Cane to fight when there isn't room in the UFC. Coker knows how to run a show and picking up UFC scraps could still be profitable for Zuffa. Not to mention new talent who can come in and get a real test.
MMAOvertime
3/14/11 10:33:10PM
I think UFC would probably make more money keeping them separated. Having champions in both company can generate more hyped up events thus making more money. Even though some of strikeforce's fight my not be PPV worthy they could still draw revenues from premier channels like showtime and hbo..
State_Champ
3/16/11 12:22:01PM
Maybe now that Zuffa owns SF we can see the SF fighters in the UFC.
I am hoping to see BJ Penn vs Nick DIaz.