UFC/Strikforce deal good or bad?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC/Strikforce deal good or bad?
POLL: Is the UFC's purchase of Strikeforce a good thing for MMA?
Yes 59% (16)
No 15% (4)
I'm not sure, only time will tell. 26% (7)
Budgellism
3/12/11 4:18:39PM
The ufc purchased Strikeforce today and I've heard a lot of opinions on the matter. I want to know what the Playground thinks. Is the UFC's purchase of Strikeforce a good thing for mma?
TS92turbo
3/12/11 5:00:59PM
Good Deal on Dana's part. Until they co promote or merge, I simply do not care.
VILLIN
3/12/11 5:28:08PM
Excellent news for fans, fighters and the sport as a whole.

Clearly SF was in some difficulty or they would not have sold. The state of mma in Japan is grim and only getting worse. The various other mma organizations around the world are strictly small time and can't hope to pay big name fighters what they are accustomed to earning.

Zuffa operating SF as a separate entity from the UFC guarantees more events, more crossover between organizations and more fighters staying under a contract with Zuffa. Consider that SF is very weak in every division apart from HW, now consider how much those divisions will improve with an influx of fighters who were maybe a little out of step with the elite in the UFC. Guys like Chris Lytle, Joe Stevenson, Dustin Hazelett, Martin Kampmann, Brandon Vera and Jon Fitch can all find new life challenging for a SF title even though they have little hope of such in the UFC. We will also get to see super fights between UFC and SF champions now that they are both under the Zuffa umbrella.

This also means fighters being released will be more justified now that there are more spots on the rosters to fill. Guys won't be getting cut for having a slump, simply jump to the other organization for a change of scenery and competition.

If anything, this only stabilizes and strengthens mma in my opinion.
Budgellism
3/12/11 5:49:54PM

Posted by VILLIN

Excellent news for fans, fighters and the sport as a whole.

Clearly SF was in some difficulty or they would not have sold. The state of mma in Japan is grim and only getting worse. The various other mma organizations around the world are strictly small time and can't hope to pay big name fighters what they are accustomed to earning.

Zuffa operating SF as a separate entity from the UFC guarantees more events, more crossover between organizations and more fighters staying under a contract with Zuffa. Consider that SF is very weak in every division apart from HW, now consider how much those divisions will improve with an influx of fighters who were maybe a little out of step with the elite in the UFC. Guys like Chris Lytle, Joe Stevenson, Dustin Hazelett, Martin Kampmann, Brandon Vera and Jon Fitch can all find new life challenging for a SF title even though they have little hope of such in the UFC. We will also get to see super fights between UFC and SF champions now that they are both under the Zuffa umbrella.

This also means fighters being released will be more justified now that there are more spots on the rosters to fill. Guys won't be getting cut for having a slump, simply jump to the other organization for a change of scenery and competition.

If anything, this only stabilizes and strengthens mma in my opinion.

It seems like you've got your head on straight my friend. I agree with everything you said.
Chael_Sonnen
3/12/11 9:51:07PM
Great deal.
Patchedup15
7/1/11 11:07:11PM
Amazing deal.. especially with Shields, and Diaz being brought over... Can you say talent development league??