Strikeforce Won't Be Risking Bobby Lashley Against Shane del Rosario

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce Won't Be Risking Bobby Lashley Against Shane del Rosario
ThaAxeMurderer7
1/7/10 10:25:09PM
Zach Krantz is disappointed that Bobby Lashley won't be making his Strikeforce debut against up and comer Shane del Rosario:

When this fight was first reported I credited Strikeforce for putting together solid fight where they had a lot to gain and something to lose as well. It was a risky endeavor as they were facing off a marketing tool (Lashley) against a legitimate opponent. If it is Strikeforce that pulled this fight off the table then it perpetuates what many people already believe. The common critique of Strikeforce and many of their shows is they cake walk their top fighters with weak competition and the reason fans are provided with exciting finishes is due to lack of competitiveness if the cage.

The other possibility is Lashley's camp agreed to the fight not knowing who Rosario was and after further insight they realized it might be too risky for Bobby at this point in his career.

Link
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
1/7/10 11:25:21PM
hope he still fights someone, I think he woulda took del rosario anyways..
grappler0000
1/8/10 12:05:51AM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

hope he still fights someone, I think he woulda took del rosario anyways..

I think scrapping the fight was in Lashley's best interest. I have no doubt he can be a force in the future, but all it takes is watching his fight with Guida to tell me he'd probably be outclassed here.
Giant_Ochai
1/8/10 1:47:52AM
No more Mike Cooks. No more chubby middleweights. Lashley SHOULD BE fighting someone like del Rosario at this point. I don't know what happened to the guy, but Strikeforce should do Lashley against Daniel Puder.
EliasG
1/8/10 2:20:56AM
Not sure myself. I need to see him i against middle SF talent to see where his skills are. Then I want to see him against upper talent....you have to build a guy like him. I think over time he could bring a lot...we'll see.
IriShame
1/8/10 5:29:03AM
I agree he should be built up but he's had his requisite gimme's and now it's time to give him a legitmate mid-level opponent. Rosario fits the bill in that respect and honestly a defeat at this point in Lashley's career isn't that big of a deal.

That's kind of how it works in MMA, you fight chumps to start off, then you fight mid-level guys, then top guys. If at any point you lose you get bumped back and start over. So what?

Lashley is what people are paying to see so from a marketing stand point what does it matter if it's a can or a legit guy? But from a career development standpoint he needs to start moving up the competition ladder.

If you baby this guy for too long he might get stuck in a state of arrested development and cease to improve as a mixed martial artist. For Lashleys sake he needs some better competition if he wants to truly test his potential in MMA.
warglory
1/8/10 7:30:10AM
Scott Coker should check out the Elite XC way of doing things, and do the EXACT opposite, which would mean putting Lashley against legit opponents.
emfleek
1/8/10 8:36:08AM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

No more Mike Cooks. No more chubby middleweights. Lashley SHOULD BE fighting someone like del Rosario at this point.

Agreed. Time to take a step up in competition. This is Strikeforce...not the Roast Beef Sandwich Fighting League.
emfleek
1/8/10 8:37:34AM

Posted by warglory

Scott Coker should check out the Elite XC way of doing things, and do the EXACT opposite, which would mean putting Lashley against legit opponents.

Agreed. Just wait until one of these mid/lower-card guys wreck Lashley.

Freight train = derailed

With that being said, it still won't be anything like what happened with EliteXC and Kimbo.
Wolfenstein
1/8/10 9:08:05AM
If he's not ready for a fighter like Rosario--then I'm not sure why he's in StrikeForce. There's definetely something to be said for building up a fighter--but I think he'll learn more about himself in competetive matchup than he will pwning a nub in the first RD. If he loses...oh well, back to the drawing board, and come back better.
hate4thestate
1/8/10 9:31:08AM
i bet lashley just had a big sidh of relief after hearing this. rosario very well could have destroyed him.
jae_1833
1/9/10 2:11:50PM
This is the exact thing I hate hearing about. It cheapens the sport....no more Don King dealings in MMA!