Can Strikeforce survive without CBS?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Can Strikeforce survive without CBS?
POLL: Can they survive without CBS?
Yes 73% (16)
No 27% (6)
SmileR
5/14/10 10:01:40AM
I just read that CBS haven't contacted Strikeforce about renewing their TV deal. This got me wondering, with guys like Fedor, Arlovski, Overeem, Shields (if he returns) and Diaz all pulling in large amount of cash for their fights can Strikeforce stay afloat with out their backing?

I'm leaning towards no, with M1 taking a slice of the ticket money as well as Fedors salary and any possible PPV cash while only taking care of one fighter that leaves a hell of a lot of cash needed for pay, rent of the stadium, crew and more.

I honestly think the brawl at the end of the last event might have sunk Strikeforce.
What do you guys think?
AchillesHeel
5/14/10 10:10:39AM
I think they certainly can. It's possible that the CBS deal accounted for a significant portion of their revenue, but I don't think that's a given (I have no information on that, maybe you know something I don't). They still, I presume, have relationships with Showtime and Dream, and the deal with M-1, if it's really so bad, must have an expiration date too. And I think there are plenty of "B-grade" fighters for whom Strikeforce would be a good option. I don't know why they couldn't reach an agreement with Karo Parisyan, for example, but I think he's going to regret it more than they will.
DCRage
5/14/10 10:18:58AM
Yes. Showtime may not be in as many households as CBS or even Spike, but the important thing is they have that TV partner, they have PPV (even for the Showtime events for those who don't have SHO or want more, and it's at a reasonable price), and they also have what UFC really doesn't-a developmental system (Challengers). The one thing they need to be careful not to do is overpay for talent like they probably did for Hendo. And let's not forget they now have a very marketable champion in Muhammad Lawal-love him or hate him, there's no doubt he has the charisma and the gimmick to bring in a lot of attention.
SmileR
5/14/10 10:20:11AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I think they certainly can. It's possible that the CBS deal accounted for a significant portion of their revenue, but I don't think that's a given (I have no information on that, maybe you know something I don't). They still, I presume, have relationships with Showtime and Dream, and the deal with M-1, if it's really so bad, must have an expiration date too. And I think there are plenty of "B-grade" fighters for whom Strikeforce would be a good option. I don't know why they couldn't reach an agreement with Karo Parisyan, for example, but I think he's going to regret it more than they will.

I completely forgot about their cross promotions with Dream! I hoe they do stick around I like the fact that the UFC has some competition to motivate them.
I agree 100% with you about Karo though, I think he'll regret not signing with them and getting back on the main stage.
postman
5/14/10 11:19:43AM
You can't tell me the Hendo signing and Fedor signing had nothing to do with the CBS deal. I really wonder how this will play out if CBS pulls the plug. The relationship with Dream worries me as it seems Japanese MMA is a bit of a bust right now. I think onse agian if Strikeforce falls the brwal certinly hurt but bigger then value contracts will be the problem.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/14/10 5:48:48PM
I think that it's contingent upon two things, really. If they have placed all their eggs in the basket of Fedor and Henderson, then no. To my knowledge nobody knows what sort of deals those two signed with the promotion.

That being said, I feel the second factor is their ability to control the product they promote. They need to reign in their fighters and let them know that actions like Strikeforce: Nashville will not be tolerated. The one thing that Dana does better than any promoter I have seen is rule with an iron fist. Coker seems to be content allowing his fighters to run the show. In all the interviews I have seen with him, post fight, he hasn't once mentioned sanctions or punishments. This simply will not do. You must act like a general manager. If your employees step out of line, corrective action must be present or detrimental behavior will continue. What incentive do these fighters have to not act like that again if Coker doesn't do something about it?
mrsmiley
5/14/10 6:53:48PM
Does anyone know what's up with the SF website?
Its been suspended?
deezyo
5/17/10 10:33:13PM
if they start putting out ppvs they can
BustedKnuckle
5/18/10 6:53:05PM
They need to focus on building a solid stable of fighters, and quit overpaying for one fighter.
noahgenda
5/19/10 12:21:49AM
to my knowledge showtime is owned by cbs and strikeforce still has a contract with them. i dont even know if strikeforce itself actually makes any more money when cbs decides to pull their events off showtime and put them on cbs
Wolfgang666
5/20/10 12:20:25PM
Other than the NBA a few years ago when players starting slugging fans in giant riots, when has a brawl hurt any sport? Much less a fighting sport.

I doubt there are more than 7 people on the planet Earth who would like and support cagefighting until the combatants got into a shoving contest after a bout.

Strikeforce made money before the CBS deal and while they gambled on Dan Henderson with a big contract, they'd make money without one as long as they had Showtime. Strikeforce has also turned down contracts with Huerta, Kimbo and Parisyan that didn't make sense.