where does strikeforce stand?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » where does strikeforce stand?
BeeR
2/13/11 7:50:00AM
Where do you see strikeforce headed in the next year?

with the potential loss of their biggest name, and 2 extremely mediocre events in a row do you see strkieforce hanging around?

I know they have the names to put on great fights, but do they have the fan base to keep paying these guys?

yesterdays production was horrible, gus mauro and frank make me want to put a bullet in my head, they kept going to extended crowd shots, the interviews were junk, and the fans weren't in it at all. it almost reminded me of the dying days of Elite.

can anyone compete with the UFC and survive?

It would be sad to see strikeforce fold because the UFC needs competition, all these great fighters need somewhere to fight if they cant fight in the UFC.

Its sad to say, but strikeforce needs someone to replace Coker, someone with the knowledge and brains to seriously give UFC a run for their money, the only person I could see doing this, sadly, is Vince McMahon.

Im hoping Strikeforce can turn it around and put on some quality shows, otherwise I dont see it looking too good for them
warglory
2/13/11 9:52:01AM
I don't really agree. I think Strikeforce's last few events have been very exciting with a ton of finishes. The only drawback is their commentating team which is absolutely horrendous.
Twenty20Dollars
2/13/11 10:36:29AM
Yeah I think they have been pretty good cards lately. I think they are fine.
cowcatcher
2/13/11 10:50:32AM
Mauro just talks about himself the whole time lately, Gus gets overly excited and asks the stupidest post fight question anyone ever has, and Frank makes the people that pay attention to hjm dumber for doing so.

That pretty much covers the problems SF has as far as I'm concerned. I'm fine with everything else.
tcunningham
2/13/11 12:44:36PM
i think their in good shape. the last few cards have been great and with the HW toourney happening their guaranteed to get views. and with hendo getting a title shot at LHW the next card should be great too. i dont think losing fedor will hurt them cause kharitonov getting a big KO theres still something for all the russian fans out there. they could use some work on their production of the events. with sound problems, timing problems, and bad commentary, thats the first problem they need to address.
Franklinfan47
2/13/11 12:49:20PM
Ya, I dont agree either. IMO, Strikeforce has never looked better than it does now.
ncordless
2/13/11 1:53:08PM
The last few events have been great. They have finally been putting interesting fighters together in fairly well-matched fights with exciting finishes.

I also don't think that losing Fedor would hurt them that much. It might not let them travel as well as with him, but they will always be able to run 3-4 shows a year in San Jose, and that gives them a good base.

The TV thing is interesting, it is obvious that even though Coker said that CBS was still a possibility that the powers that be want nothing to do with it at this point. They still have the showtime deal (or rather their deal still works for showtime). It actually might be a good thing for Strikeforce to lose Fedor in that it gets m-1's finger out of their pie.
FastKnockout
2/13/11 2:53:31PM
Strikeforce commentators lost all my respect at the end of the Chad Griggs fight.

"Wow! Who would of thought that Chad Griggs would stand and strike, when he clearly had the advantage on the ground!"

I mean, come on, really? The only submission win on his record was due to strikes. How did they figure he would want to take the fight to the ground?

Oh, and the "what the fighter must do to win" segment before each fight is a joke. I don't think "bring it" is a serious gameplan.
Twenty20Dollars
2/13/11 4:04:48PM
I usually have SF on mute untill the fight starts and then I unmute and still have the volume low.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/13/11 5:56:33PM

Posted by FastKnockout
Oh, and the "what the fighter must do to win" segment before each fight is a joke. I don't think "bring it" is a serious gameplan.

If you have a problem with that segment, I have a problem with you...so BRING IT!!!

In all seriousness, I thought their past couple events have been pretty exciting. I do agree that their commenting team sucks and they could easily find someone who might be a better "promoter" than Coker. He does a pretty bad job on the whole.

Most casual fans aren't really aware of his events. Hell, I have several friends who actually love MMA and didn't even know the first leg of the GP was last night until I posted it on Facebook.

I am curious about this comment, though, BeeR.

Its sad to say, but strikeforce needs someone to replace Coker, someone with the knowledge and brains to seriously give UFC a run for their money, the only person I could see doing this, sadly, is Vince McMahon

I don't think there's much sad about Vince McMahon. He's smart enough to realize that MMA and WWE are two separate entities and that he couldn't incorporate the fake storylines into MMA and have a product that fans will watch.

People may hate the WWE, but there's no denying that Vince McMahon is one of the greatest business men in sports entertainment. Dana White hasn't even accomplished what Vince has done. Vince eliminated every major competition for himself in the United States. He acquired all of their talent and basically forces wrestling fans to watch his product if they wish to see any big name talent. Sure, there's TNA, but most of their stars lost their appeal around the nineties.

I personally wish the McMahon's would get involved in MMA. They have the production knowledge and business experience to produce a solid product that could rival the UFC. Competition is good for business. If Dana had to worry about someone like Vince poaching his talent, you can bet your ass he'd put the very best product on PPV every single time. Fans would get the match-ups they wanted to see.

Vince has the bankroll, the support, and ability to bring his product just about anywhere by virtue of his name. The man built an empire that is worth billions. Vince has Dana's respect which is something that few people do. Dana wants to BE Vince.
mrsmiley
2/13/11 7:43:14PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by FastKnockout

If you have a problem with that segment, I have a problem with you...so BRING IT!!!

In all seriousness, I thought their past couple events have been pretty exciting. I do agree that their commenting team sucks and they could easily find someone who might be a better "promoter" than Coker. He does a pretty bad job on the whole.

Most casual fans aren't really aware of his events. Hell, I have several friends who actually love MMA and didn't even know the first leg of the GP was last night until I posted it on Facebook.

I am curious about this comment, though, BeeR.

Its sad to say, but strikeforce needs someone to replace Coker, someone with the knowledge and brains to seriously give UFC a run for their money, the only person I could see doing this, sadly, is Vince McMahon

I don't think there's much sad about Vince McMahon. He's smart enough to realize that MMA and WWE are two separate entities and that he couldn't incorporate the fake storylines into MMA and have a product that fans will watch.

People may hate the WWE, but there's no denying that Vince McMahon is one of the greatest business men in sports entertainment. Dana White hasn't even accomplished what Vince has done. Vince eliminated every major competition for himself in the United States. He acquired all of their talent and basically forces wrestling fans to watch his product if they wish to see any big name talent. Sure, there's TNA, but most of their stars lost their appeal around the nineties.

I personally wish the McMahon's would get involved in MMA. They have the production knowledge and business experience to produce a solid product that could rival the UFC. Competition is good for business. If Dana had to worry about someone like Vince poaching his talent, you can bet your ass he'd put the very best product on PPV every single time. Fans would get the match-ups they wanted to see.

Vince has the bankroll, the support, and ability to bring his product just about anywhere by virtue of his name. The man built an empire that is worth billions. Vince has Dana's respect which is something that few people do. Dana wants to BE Vince.

True.

I wonder what would have happened if the WWE would have kept up with worked mma style matches like this:

lions den match
BeeR
2/14/11 2:47:48PM
BlueSkies- I say "sadly" because if Vinny Mac started an Org, damn near everyone would jump up and say MMA is fake because they would instantly associate WWE and wrestling with MMA and we would never hear the end of it.

personally, I grew up with wrestling and I think Vince is a genius, he created more then an empire and has accomplished 1000 times more then Dana has and probably ever will. And if he DID start an MMA org I have no doubt it would be stiff competition for the UFC, and you would see the UFC's dominance drop drastically.

"sadly" was the wrong word I guess, I was just thinking of all the arguments I have been involved in about wrestling, and "sports entertainment", WWE etc, and all the bullshit people would come up with if this scenario were to happen.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/14/11 3:39:45PM

Posted by BeeR

BlueSkies- I say "sadly" because if Vinny Mac started an Org, damn near everyone would jump up and say MMA is fake because they would instantly associate WWE and wrestling with MMA and we would never hear the end of it.

personally, I grew up with wrestling and I think Vince is a genius, he created more then an empire and has accomplished 1000 times more then Dana has and probably ever will. And if he DID start an MMA org I have no doubt it would be stiff competition for the UFC, and you would see the UFC's dominance drop drastically.

"sadly" was the wrong word I guess, I was just thinking of all the arguments I have been involved in about wrestling, and "sports entertainment", WWE etc, and all the bullshit people would come up with if this scenario were to happen.

I see where you're coming from. I would hope, though, that after all this time, people would realize that MMA is real and Vince just wanted to have his own organization. I mean MMA has their own show on ESPN, fights are featured in SportsCenter's top ten, they interview fighters on SportsNation (f*ck Michelle Beadle), etc...

I think there's enough legitimacy to MMA that Vince joining wouldn't start that speculation.
Turk
2/20/11 10:52:36PM
Hopefully staying the course, booking good cards, I would like to see production improved however...
pmoney
2/20/11 11:25:47PM
Strikeforce, Strikeforce, Strikeforce... In my opinion their promotion sucks.

The Challengers series I find dissapointing. Their prospects, in my opinion, wouldn't win their first fight to get in the house on The Ultimate Fighter. Dana White said the same thing of Kimbo Slice and was right.

Their other cards as of late have been entertaining. Not good MMA, I feel, but entertaining. Look at the December 2010 Hendo/Babalu 2, Lawler/Lindland card. Almost every fight on that card ended in a finish, due to what I believe were incredible mismatches.

Look further back to 2010 when they had Hendo/Shields, and Aoki/Melendez, and Herschel Walker's MMA debut. That card on CBS had three title fights, and that was the whackest sh!t I ever saw. All the title fights were five round wrestling matches that went to a decision. If I bought a UFC and watched 75 minutes wrestling, I'd be livid.

If you like watching people get beat the fu@k up in non-competitive matches, that's great. Strikeforce is where it's at if that's what you want. UFC is top tier MMA, and I put Bellator in front of Strikeforce as far as promotional rankings.

The best part of Strikeforce is they have Nick Diaz