Strikeforce this Saturday has Some Prospective Greats

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Strikeforce this Saturday has Some Prospective Greats
ncordless
9/9/11 4:51:10PM
Lost in the storyline of the HW GP debacle, the card this saturday has several fighters who have a legit chance of being top ten in their division some day. None of these guys is a lock, but each one has the talent to be top 10 in their division.

Mo Lawal- King Mo is pretty well-known at this point, and has been the SF champ so he hardly qualifies as a prospect. But Mo has been out for a while since getting exposed by Feijao. He has been working with AKA and Tyrone Sprong to correct his flaws, and his fight with Roger Gracie could give us an idea of how far he can go.

Roger Gracie- Roger Gracie is the greatest submission grappler on the planet. This is a tough match up for him, but if he is able to get Mo Lawal to the ground, he could be a better Maia at LHW.

Jacare- If Roger is the greatest grappler, Jacare is the guy that beat the greatest grappler. Jacare has also dedicated himself to MMA and has picked up a good boxing game. He's the MW champ in SF, but if he continues to improve, he could be in the UFC MW title picture some day soon.

Luke Rockhold- Luke is a super-talented and well-rounded fighter who, if he can keep out of injuries, could be the next AKA guy to make waves. To give an idea of how good Luke is, he gives Cain Velasquez trouble in sparring.

Maximo Blanco- A great physical talent who has international wrestling experience. His psycho-killer persona in fights could be his best asset or his undoing, as he needs to be a little more composed to make it to the next level at WW.

Yoel Romero- speaking of great physical talents, there is not a single greater physical talent than Yoel Romero. At age 34, he has some catching up to do. But the guy is an Olympic silver medalist in greco-roman wrestling, and olympic semi-finalist in freestyle (he lost to Cael Sanderson 3-2), and has trained boxing with his world champion brother his whole life. He has little experience and is not getting good mma training right now, but if he gets serious, could easily be a champ someday. He has the size, speed, and wrestling ability to straight donkey kong anyone.

Pezao- The latest in a long line of Brazilian kicboxing LHWs, Pezao has been picking up the MMA game quicly and could easily be in that Cane/Silva/Feijao mold someday soon.

Daniel Cormier- He looks like a little fat kid at HW, but this guy is the head wrestling trainer at AKA, and has some power in his hands. I think if he wants to be a top fighter, his future lies at LHW, but this guy is a top talent and has a decent shot of taking the whole GP against much more experienced fighters.

Watch this card folks. When these guys are fighting for titles in the UFC someday you will be able to say you saw them when. Prelims are on HDNET, main card is on Showtime.
pmoney
9/9/11 5:03:45PM
Great write up, ncordless. This card will be a good one for sure. As you pointed out, there are going to be a lot of great talents on display, and lots of competitive match-ups.

Saturday as a whole will be off the hook! SF prelims on HDNet, main card on showtime, Bellator prelims on spike.com, main card on MTV 2 and Bamma free on facebook. Sweet jesus!

prophecy033
9/9/11 5:13:06PM
I don't know why I decided to cancel my cable but I did and now I'm trying to find one of my friends that has Showtime so I can watch these fights. I'm more excited for these fights because the GP has a Pride feel to it
FastKnockout
9/9/11 5:15:23PM
I'm VERY excited to see Gracie.
Budgellism
9/9/11 5:29:24PM

Posted by pmoney

Great write up, ncordless. This card will be a good one for sure. As you pointed out, there are going to be a lot of great talents on display, and lots of competitive match-ups.

Saturday as a whole will be off the hook! SF prelims on HDNet, main card on showtime, Bellator prelims on spike.com, main card on MTV 2 and Bamma free on facebook. Sweet jesus!

Tons of mma. What time do all these start? I'll probably record Bellator and the SF prelims. I'm definitely watching the SF grand prix but I do want to see Bamma.
Wallass
9/9/11 5:29:33PM
No Love for Jordan Mein? Dude's going to finish Cybprg quick and should be able to mix things up in Strikeforce's welterweight division.
pmoney
9/10/11 1:15:59AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by pmoney

Tons of mma. What time do all these start? I'll probably record Bellator and the SF prelims. I'm definitely watching the SF grand prix but I do want to see Bamma.

Hey Budge, sorry for the late answer. Just got off work! I know Bellator usually starts at 6PM pacific time. As for BAMMA I forgot what time they start. I'd check their Facebook page; be sure to "like" it so you can watch the fights tomorrow! I wish I were not working tomorrow!!!!!