Strikeforce Releases Shields; Shields Wants Shot at Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce Releases Shields; Shields Wants Shot at Anderson Silva
hate4thestate
7/1/10 3:31:46AM
Strikeforce released its middleweight champion, Jake Shields, from his contract with the organization on Wednesday, according to an industry source with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

The 31-year-old Shields had been in a final-phase “matching period” of his recently completed contract with the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion, which allowed him to receive bids from other organizations, including the UFC, that Strikeforce could review and match in order to keep his services. However, the source said Strikeforce waived that contractual right in its final 2-3 weeks and opted to release the Cesar Gracie fighter altogether before the period expired.

LINK

Also, Ive really come to enjoy this site.
Middle Easy
BlueSkiesBurn
7/1/10 4:45:51AM
They figured he was gonna wait it out anyhow. Smart move on Coker's behalf. Why drag this out LeBron style? Just let the man do what we all know he's gonna do anyhow.
Shawn91111
7/1/10 7:09:41AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

They figured he was gonna wait it out anyhow. Smart move on Coker's behalf. Why drag this out LeBron style? Just let the man do what we all know he's gonna do anyhow.

Not sure how Lebron is dragging it out.
prozacnation1978
7/1/10 9:34:49AM
Shields will sign with ufc by end of the month
He should fight at welterweight. Could fight in oct 120 against hathaway or kammpman
I don't think he should fight at middleweight
mshalosky
7/1/10 10:43:19AM
Shields is definetely a more natural welterweight. But, I think he would fair much better in the middleweight division. The UFC welterweight division is stacked with wrestlers with the best one being the champ. Now the Middleweight division outside of Sonnen has mainly mediocre wrestlers. So IMO even tho the guys will be bigger he has a much better chance of success in the Middleweight division.
tallica62
7/1/10 11:26:00AM
cant wait for the UFC fighters to gobble him up
seanfu
7/1/10 12:22:04PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Shields will sign with ufc by end of the month
He should fight at welterweight. Could fight in oct 120 against hathaway or kammpman
I don't think he should fight at middleweight

A fight between him and Anderson would probably be like another maia or leitas.
jlock003
7/1/10 12:24:04PM

Posted by mshalosky

Shields is definetely a more natural welterweight. But, I think he would fair much better in the middleweight division. The UFC welterweight division is stacked with wrestlers with the best one being the champ. Now the Middleweight division outside of Sonnen has mainly mediocre wrestlers. So IMO even tho the guys will be bigger he has a much better chance of success in the Middleweight division.

Shields just dominated a stud of a wrestler in Hendo I don't think the wrestling would be a problem. No way he walks into middleweight and fight Silva. Belfrot should have that shot long before Shields, or let Shields fight Vitor and the winner get the shot. Either way it's an ugly outcome for Shields. That being said I didn't give the guy a prayer against Henderson so he could surprise me.
brutalbones
7/1/10 1:39:56PM
I don't see him winning very many fights @ MW.
RhythmAndStyle
7/1/10 2:08:06PM
this is a good move from SF..now they can hold their MW tourney and hope that someone out of that group shines..they need excitin fighters to help build em up and get more ppl to watch..and Shield's wasn't cuttin the cake..nobody wants to spend money to see leg humpin for 5 rounds..
BlueSkiesBurn
7/1/10 3:10:48PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I do hope this was sarcasm Would Favre have been better?
jiujitsufreak74
7/1/10 3:13:17PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I do hope this was sarcasm Would Favre have been better?

i think he means that it was impossible for Lebron to drag it out since he wasn't even allowed to talk to teams until 12:01 this morning. it has just been the media making a big deal out of something that couldn't even start until today.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/1/10 3:39:04PM
Yes, well, the same rumors that haven't been in play since about two weeks ago, are still the rumors that are running rampant now. Not much has changed. That's why I say it's being dragged out. Nothing has changed in terms of where LeBron will end up.
Styles
7/1/10 6:10:39PM
Now all we need is Nick and maybe Gilbert in the UFC as well. Despite Nick's horrible attitude, I love watching him fight.Sheilds and Nick could fight either 170/185, Gilbert could fight 155, nate can seems pretty intent with staying 170. This woudl def. excite things a bit in those 3 divisions.
BustedKnuckle
7/1/10 11:00:47PM
IMO Shields will definatly sign soon, but I dont think he SF belt gives him the credit to step into a fight right away with Silva. Give him a top guy and see where he goes. Also I agree that he should fight at 170
BlueSkiesBurn
7/1/10 11:16:34PM
Apparently having the SF MW belt makes you the 8th best P4P fighter in the world. We are clearly underestimating the value of these SF belts.
bjj1605
7/2/10 12:41:34AM
Shields could easily be a champ. I would give him a great shot against Anderson or GSP. People are greatly underestimating him.
Drudinh
7/2/10 3:50:54AM
If he signs with the ufc I want to see him fight Rumble. Good match IMO