Strikeforce nears deal for launch of live fights on NBC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce nears deal for launch of live fights on NBC
MMAcca
10/13/08 1:23:39PM
Strikeforce is in advanced discussions with NBC to bring live fights to the Peacock Network.

The popular West Coast promotion struck a paid programming deal with NBC earlier this year, featuring 30-minute, weekly shows with fights from past Strikeforce events. Extending that agreement to live, primetime shows would be a major boast for Strikeforce as it looks to generate additional exposure for its brand and expand nationally.

"It's been signed off on at many levels (at NBC) already, and I think we're at the final stages," Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "By the first quarter of '09, we'll probably have some fights going on. We would need that time frame any way to book the right fights and do it properly."

Serious talks between Strikeforce and the network have been ongoing for the past couple of months, and Coker says the dialogue is continuing. Approval at the senior most programming levels at NBC is the only hurdle left to clear to bring live MMA to a second U.S. broadcast network.

LINK
bojangalz
10/13/08 2:02:20PM
I really hope they can get this done. It'd be a big boost to the sport to have a legtiament promotion in a primetime spot. They may not have the stable of fighters that Elite XC has, but they've got their share of stars. They've also got great working relationships with several other promotions, so I think they could pull from a few resources to put their NBC cards together. I sure hope this gets done.
EliasG
10/13/08 5:46:37PM
The strikeforce promotion is a good one. They seem to have solid revenue and earning/drawing power. The fighters are solid and the matchmaking is solid, making for good shows. They don't have the "promotional apparatus" outside of CA to really bring this to a big time head, but it is wonderful for fighters.

This is just another avenue to get more exposure and be known to more fans than they are currently known.
Solidus
10/13/08 6:16:28PM
arent they owned by Pro-Elite?
prozacnation1978
10/13/08 6:24:12PM
just another one to bite the dust
bojangalz
10/13/08 7:03:09PM

Posted by Solidus

Nope- the Pro Elite family includes the likes of Cage Rage, ICON Sport, Sho XC, Elite XC, King of the Cage, and Rumble on the Rock. Strikeforce is a completely different company all together. i think they may have copromoted with ShoXC at one point though. Maybe thats where you're getting them confused.

Posted by prozacnation1978

Probably not. Of all the mid-level MMA promotions running right now, Strikeforce is just about the only one with numbers well into the Black. It'll be interesting to see how the deal plays out though. If they have stakeholder's percentage structured like the Elite XC deal, then yeah- This would be a bad idea. But otherwise, I see this being a strong move.

I'm not sure they'll be getting anymore compliments from Dana after this (up until this point he's spoken kindly of them in interviews). I also think the Strikeforce top end talent is actually deeper then Elite XC as well. If I'm not mistaken, they still have Alistair Overeem as HW champ. They've got Gina verson 2.0 with that "Karate Hottie" chick. They've got Cung Lee as a champ. Babalu is the soon-to-be LHW Champ. And others including Gilbert Melendez, Joe Riggs, Josh Thomson, and if I'm not mistaken, they actually may have Bob Sapp too (I know, but this is about ratings). Oh yeah, Trigg was on the last card, though I'm not sure if he's got a full contract with them or not. And you can't discount the recent addition of Kazuo Misaki for a little globalization.

They've got a good thing going here. A network deal only makes them stronger. Serious props to Strikeforce if you ask me!
jgtribbett
10/14/08 12:49:06AM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by Solidus

Nope- the Pro Elite family includes the likes of Cage Rage, ICON Sport, Sho XC, Elite XC, King of the Cage, and Rumble on the Rock. Strikeforce is a completely different company all together. i think they may have copromoted with ShoXC at one point though. Maybe thats where you're getting them confused.

Posted by prozacnation1978

Probably not. Of all the mid-level MMA promotions running right now, Strikeforce is just about the only one with numbers well into the Black. It'll be interesting to see how the deal plays out though. If they have stakeholder's percentage structured like the Elite XC deal, then yeah- This would be a bad idea. But otherwise, I see this being a strong move.

I'm not sure they'll be getting anymore compliments from Dana after this (up until this point he's spoken kindly of them in interviews). I also think the Strikeforce top end talent is actually deeper then Elite XC as well. If I'm not mistaken, they still have Alistair Overeem as HW champ. They've got Gina verson 2.0 with that "Karate Hottie" chick. They've got Cung Lee as a champ. Babalu is the soon-to-be LHW Champ. And others including Gilbert Melendez, Joe Riggs, Josh Thomson, and if I'm not mistaken, they actually may have Bob Sapp too (I know, but this is about ratings). Oh yeah, Trigg was on the last card, though I'm not sure if he's got a full contract with them or not. And you can't discount the recent addition of Kazuo Misaki for a little globalization.

They've got a good thing going here. A network deal only makes them stronger. Serious props to Strikeforce if you ask me!

wow, you should be a lobbiest, you have me sold.
EliasG
10/14/08 10:42:11AM
truthfully, if Proelite hadn't bought up so many companies, they wouldn't be in the red either.
Branwest
10/14/08 10:58:54AM
They have done some co-promotions.
Hopefully this'll help them draw some better fighters, more fighters.
I'd really like to see this deal get done. The more free mma the better.
The-Don
10/14/08 11:44:06AM
yea a deal like this would draw more fighters to them. whihc will help plus yea from what i understand they are making money.. this should only further that.. if they do it right... they just need to keep putting on good shows and slowly draw talent to them instead of going out and spending millions on just a few fighters.. build up thier own people and make it so others want to fight for them.. it will give them more leverage at the table.