Strikeforce Nashville Results/Discussion (Spoilers)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » Strikeforce Nashville Results/Discussion (Spoilers)
« Previous Page
postman
4/18/10 12:08:31AM

Posted by george112

Posted by Kpro

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

i enjoyed the fight to an extent but when a fighter has imposed his will but can do nothing more than batter an opponent it speaks nothing more than to the dominant fighters inability to finish a fight. Shields did decent bit he did not impress is my point i guess

I don't understand the theory behind going for an armbar halfway through the round for instance and risking giving up position, possibly changing the course of the fight, versus knowing your strengths and maintaining the mount throughout the round landing shots and looking for your opponent to work themselves into a sub. You have to play to your strengths, and if your opponent doesn't give you a solid opening for a submission, there's zero point as far as risk/reward to try and get what's not there.

Dan did a solid job of not giving up his back and keeping his arms in tight; for Jake to go for a sub just to go for a sub and risk losing position would've been a huge huge mistake. And it was obvious he was looking for an opening the entire time.

Credit Dan for the fight going 5.

i agree with the submission point you hold.

but you didnt address the TOTAL lack of effort to finish the fight.

he mounted him with ease multiple times and didnt do anything with it.why couldnt he go all out??

i mean seriously this is what he was doing

*gets mount
*lands a punch
*looks at dan
*lands a punch
*looks at dan.....

DUDE FINISH HIM!!! theres a reason people were booing you..

Dude your giving dan credit for not being hard to finish
telnights
4/18/10 12:12:23AM

Posted by Kpro
I don't understand the theory behind going for an armbar halfway through the round for instance and risking giving up position, possibly changing the course of the fight, versus knowing your strengths and maintaining the mount throughout the round landing shots and looking for your opponent to work themselves into a sub. You have to play to your strengths, and if your opponent doesn't give you a solid opening for a submission, there's zero point as far as risk/reward to try and get what's not there.

Dan did a solid job of not giving up his back and keeping his arms in tight; for Jake to go for a sub just to go for a sub and risk losing position would've been a huge huge mistake. And it was obvious he was looking for an opening the entire time.

Well when even your punches lack effort that says something. He could have put a lot more effort in to finishing or getting Dan to roll. But he didn't he was content riding on Dan in mount basically slapping Dan. It reminded me of an older brother picking on his younger brother.
george112
4/18/10 12:12:42AM

Posted by postman

Posted by george112

Posted by Kpro

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

i enjoyed the fight to an extent but when a fighter has imposed his will but can do nothing more than batter an opponent it speaks nothing more than to the dominant fighters inability to finish a fight. Shields did decent bit he did not impress is my point i guess

i agree with the submission point you hold.

but you didnt address the TOTAL lack of effort to finish the fight.

he mounted him with ease multiple times and didnt do anything with it.why couldnt he go all out??

i mean seriously this is what he was doing

*gets mount
*lands a punch
*looks at dan
*lands a punch
*looks at dan.....

DUDE FINISH HIM!!! theres a reason people were booing you..

Dude your giving dan credit for not being hard to finish

i know that dan is hard to finish.believe me

i was more getting at the point that shields virtually NEVER tried to finish the fight while he was in the mount.he was even landing punches!!! the only thing is those punches were just thrown to keep the ref from standing the fight back up...
george112
4/18/10 12:14:01AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by Kpro

Well when even your punches lack effort that says something. He could have put a lot more effort in to finishing or getting Dan to roll. But he didn't he was content riding on Dan in mount basically slapping Dan. It remind of an older brother picking on his younger brother.

^^^^^ This
Kpro
4/18/10 12:14:40AM
An armbar attempt, multiple straight armbar attempts, a kneebar attempt, a heelhook attempt, multiple side choke attempts. It's Dan Henderson dude. If you missed all those sub attempts I don't know what to tell you.
telnights
4/18/10 12:27:29AM

Posted by Kpro

An armbar attempt, multiple straight armbar attempts, a kneebar attempt, a heelhook attempt, multiple side choke attempts. It's Dan Henderson dude. If you missed all those sub attempts I don't know what to tell you.

Was he really attempting to finish or just doing so to hold position. I would say that its the 2nd choice. I'm not saying Shield's didn't do great with his top control but the only time he really went for a sub was always when he knew the end of the round was seconds away. He also didn't put much effort any to any of those sub attempts or any of his punches.
george112
4/18/10 12:29:51AM

Posted by Kpro

but you speak as if he was going from sub to sub..he wasnt

a few of those attempts came at the end of the round..that to me just makes it look like he was putting on a show JUST for the judges
george112
4/18/10 12:31:01AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by Kpro

Was he really attempting to finish or just doing so to hold position. I would say the its the 2nd choice. I'm not saying Shield's didn't do great with his top control but the only time he really went for a sub was always when he knew the end of the round was seconds away. He also didn't put much effort any to any of those sub attempts or any of his punches.

haha your always beating me to it
postman
4/18/10 12:38:38AM
You hear it all the time.....Position over submission. To hold mount for over 3 min in a fight is amazing you start pounding away you lose balance and could lose mount Jake is a real good sub player he was looking for the right time to commit and very few came up I realize you have the right to dislike it or think it is boring b ut its like that baseball game tonight that went 20 innnings and ended 2-1.
BeeR
4/18/10 7:24:17AM
my thoughts on the night -

that was a snoozer card, i cant believe 3 title fights went to decision that shouldnt have, Miller should have waitedto go in the ring after the main event, but Im sure he was told too, I dont blame him it was the Diaz brothers and gilbert who started throwing punches.

Very dissappointed with Gegarg

oh, and Gus Johnson is THE whitest black guy in the world lol.
postman
4/18/10 12:30:42PM
You know I was thinking about it and not allowing Elbows on the ground really hurt Jakes chances to finish as well.
Caesarrrr
4/18/10 3:07:54PM
I agree about the elbows hurting his chances of finishing due to strikes.

As to the card, I'm terribly disappointed. I felt like some of the fighters didn't show up in top form, including hendo, and I felt like this actually pushes MMA back in the eyes of the media. Not only were there lackluster fights, with strikeforce constantly mentioning how their fighters are ranked at the top in MMA, but the brawl at the end made this seem like some WWE/Street fighting mix. It was embarrassing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]