Strikeforce's Melendez not comfortable waiting on Thomson for return

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce's Melendez not comfortable waiting on Thomson for return
sclasclemski
4/15/09 4:59:52PM
The main card of this past Saturday's "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" took a major hit when lightweight champ Josh Thomson was a late scratch.

Gilbert Melendez (15-2) saved the show with a stunning knockout of Thomson's replacement, Rodrigo Damm, earning the organization's interim lightweight title in the process.

But like so many interim title holders before him, Melendez, recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) there's still work to be done before he'll truly feel like a title holder.

Link

I think its great Gilbert feels the way he does and doesn't want to just sit around and wait for Josh to get healed up...he has the attitude of a champion
prozacnation1978
4/15/09 10:51:36PM
i don't blame him
watch as strikeforce gives jorge gurcel a shot at the belt next

they need to sign k j noons already and have those two go at it
duggy
4/16/09 9:49:57AM
...(closes eyes and crosses fingers hoping that strikeforce lets gil put a beating on jorge gurgel)....

seriously though strikeforce can put some match ups together at 155...

gil, thomson, gurgel, ishida

they have an outlet to japan with dream... so they could theoretically swap talent and put together some fighhts with the likes of jz, aoki, hansen, kawajiri, etc...

i know that eddie alvarez is under contract with them and has two fights once bellator is over...

alvarez vs thomson
jz vs gil
aoki vs thomson

they could make some nice fights happen...