Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields Results/Discussion (Spoilers)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields Results/Discussion (Spoilers)
Next Page »
DCRage
6/6/09 5:32:28PM
We're underway!
Prelim matches (non-televised):
Pat Benson beat Dave Cochran by submission (triangle) at 2:18 of round 1.
Lucas Lopes beat Scott Ventimiglia by DQ (illegal knee) at 3:26 of round 1.
Booker DeRousse beat James Wade by TKO (strikes) at 4:06 of round 1.
Mike Kyle beat Rafael Cavalcante (Feijao) by TKO (strikes) at 4:05 of round 2.
Tyron Woodley beat Sal Woods by submission (north-south choke) at 4:20 of round 1.
Jesse Finney beat Josh Bumgarner by submission (kimura) at 1:55 of round 1.

TV fights:
Mike Whitehead beat Kevin Randleman by unanimous decision, 3 29-28s.
Joe Riggs beat Phil Baroni by unanimous decision, 3 30-27s.
Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith. Catch weight fight at 180
Andrei Arlovski vs. Brett Rogers
Main Event: Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields. Catch weight fight at 182

Main card airs live on Showtime and via enhanced online PPV (cost is roughly $30, you'll get more camera angles and other extra features-I think there will be a "ref cam" as well). I won't be getting the online PPV, thought about it but since I've committed to UFC 99 next week I'm passing on this one.
Aaronno9
6/6/09 5:57:00PM
Main card is pretty sweet. Hope I can stay awake and find a stream.
bustin_mma
6/6/09 6:21:51PM
whats the countdown?
lohmann
6/6/09 6:36:04PM
The only misstep Strikeforce made in putting this card together is denying watchers Cavalcante vs. Kyle in lieu of what should be a pretty ho-hum Whitehead vs. Randleman.

Otherwise, the fireworks should be in full display. Can't wait to see Diaz vs. Smith and Arlovski vs. Rogers.

June's got a lot of big knockout-friendly cards. Baroni, Riggs, Arlovski, Rogers, Diaz, Smith, Lawler, Brown, Faber, Aldo, Swanson, Grispi, Pulver, Franklin, Silva, CroCop, Swick, Saunders, Hardy, Davis, Velasquez, Kongo, Fisher - gonna be a bloody month.
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/6/09 7:02:04PM

Posted by lohmann

The only misstep Strikeforce made in putting this card together is denying watchers Cavalcante vs. Kyle in lieu of what should be a pretty ho-hum Whitehead vs. Randleman.

Otherwise, the fireworks should be in full display. Can't wait to see Diaz vs. Smith and Arlovski vs. Rogers.

June's got a lot of big knockout-friendly cards. Baroni, Riggs, Arlovski, Rogers, Diaz, Smith, Lawler, Brown, Faber, Aldo, Swanson, Grispi, Pulver, Franklin, Silva, CroCop, Swick, Saunders, Hardy, Davis, Velasquez, Kongo, Fisher - gonna be a bloody month.

Agreed 100%
DCRage
6/6/09 7:28:17PM
I'm feeling good about a couple of my upset picks tonight. Smith should be getting more respect against Diaz for his KO power, and although it's more risky I like Rogers as a sneaky sleeper against AA.
kopower
6/6/09 7:34:46PM

Posted by DCRage

I'm feeling good about a couple of my upset picks tonight. Smith should be getting more respect against Diaz for his KO power, and although it's more risky I like Rogers as a sneaky sleeper against AA.

A stiff breeze could potentially ko Arlovski j/k
Rogers does have a decent chance
EvenFlow
6/6/09 7:51:53PM

Posted by DCRage

I never feel good about your picks
DCRage
6/6/09 7:57:01PM
Anyway...the first fight is in the books. Pat Benson beats Dave Cochran with a triangle at 2:18 of the first round. This was, I believe, one of the fights not included in the picks.
DCRage
6/6/09 8:06:50PM
Uh oh...might have a DQ or NC coming. Lopes vs. Ventigmilia has been stopped in round 1. Lopes got Ventigmilia with an illegal knee to the head of a downed opponent.

Correction, it's other way around. Lopes wins by DQ.
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/6/09 8:16:19PM
Shiaaaat!!! had lopes as my upset as part of my parlay
lohmann
6/6/09 8:22:20PM

Posted by DCRage

Anyway...the first fight is in the books. Pat Benson beats Dave Cochran with a triangle at 2:18 of the first round. This was, I believe, one of the fights not included in the picks.

For good reason too. If one of the eight best fights on any card is a matchup between a 16-19 fighter and a 3-5 fighter, the card probably shouldn't even be play at all.

Sounds like Ventimiglia landed the illegal knee on Lopes in the scramble up, not the other way around.
DCRage
6/6/09 8:25:52PM
Yeah, I either misread the update about it or Junkie changed it. Anyway, since it's a DQ that means the fight is thrown out for picks & wagers.
Shawn91111
6/6/09 8:46:47PM
Ugh..I should have gone with my gut and picked Kyle
grappler0000
6/6/09 8:50:54PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Yeah, but it's tough when you want so badly for Kyle to lose.
DCRage
6/6/09 8:51:24PM
DeRousse TKOs Wade in 4:06, Kyle beat Feijao late in R2. This funny quip from Junkie: "Cavalcante just misses with a looping right as Kyle's wife or girlfriend screams my ear off from a row behind me."
SmileR
6/6/09 9:08:04PM
If anyone is looking for a clear stream this is without doubt the best I'v had.
Starts in about half a hour.

http://ls3-tv.webs.com/livestreams.htm
Shawn91111
6/6/09 9:08:09PM
lol wow...I recieved some bad info from a few publications on Bumgarner..there goes my pick..parlay and another bet on him
EvenFlow
6/6/09 9:09:42PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Shawn91111

I didnt think in a million fights (sarcasm) that Kyle would beat Feijao, and I doubt you two did either

EDIT: on a more positive note, 1-1 with 11pts
DCRage
6/6/09 9:11:53PM
Finney subs Bumgarner in 1:55. That's it for the prelims. Time for a 60-minute coffee break. Smoke if you got 'em.
grappler0000
6/6/09 9:17:00PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Shawn91111

I didnt think in a million fights (sarcasm) that Kyle would beat Feijao, and I doubt you two did either

Feijao is more technical, but I saw it as a real possibility. Why wouldn't I? He hits hard. He stopped Irvin back in the day...and while Anderson made it look easy, nobody else has stopped Irvin in that fashion except for Kyle.
EvenFlow
6/6/09 9:19:13PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Shawn91111

Feijao is more technical, but I saw it as a real possibility. Why wouldn't I? He hits hard. He stopped Irvin back in the day...and while Anderson made it look easy, nobody else has stopped Irvin in that fashion except for Kyle.

No need to get offended, I just dont buy it if you picked Feijao, Irvin isnt Feijao anyway, this was a huge upset.

EDIT: the ANderson stoppage was more brutal imo, and Feijao is a close image to Anderson
Shawn91111
6/6/09 9:27:03PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Shawn91111

No need to get offended, I just dont buy it if you picked Feijao, Irvin isnt Feijao anyway, this was a huge upset.

EDIT: the ANderson stoppage was more brutal imo, and Feijao is a close image to Anderson

Watch it this thread might be deleted as well
TNPanther78
6/6/09 9:27:11PM
Not doing to good in my whole secondary league, went 2-6, last time, and now i am currently going 1-2 tonight. I hope I can pull off a good main card.
lohmann
6/6/09 9:32:26PM

Posted by TNPanther78

Not doing to good in my whole secondary league, went 2-6, last time, and now i am currently going 1-2 tonight. I hope I can pull off a good main card.

There's only been two fights that count tonight, since the Lopes/Ventimiglia fight ended in a disqualification.

EvenFlow will probably beat me in the secondary grand prix; Baumgartner vs. Finney was our only significant difference.

0-2, 0 points. -$150 so far.
Shawn91111
6/6/09 9:32:27PM

Posted by TNPanther78

The Ventimiglia vs Lopes fight doesnt count
TNPanther78
6/6/09 9:35:58PM
Ah thats good then, means I'm 1-1.
TNPanther78
6/6/09 9:40:50PM
I hate these long arse intermissions, or when they start the prelims way earlier than the main fight card, I wanna see some action!!!!lol
grappler0000
6/6/09 9:46:21PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by grappler0000

I never said that I thought Kyle would win, but I did think it was a tough pick. Personal feelings about Kyle ultimately helped sway my decision. It's not the best way to make picks, but we've all done it. Sure Kyle was an underdog in this fight, but that's mainly because we haven't heard from Kyle in a while and most people assume Strikeforce is preparing Feijao to be their guy at 205.
Shawn91111
6/6/09 9:51:27PM

Posted by TNPanther78

I hate these long arse intermissions, or when they start the prelims way earlier than the main fight card, I wanna see some action!!!!lol

Well if you cant wait and wanna see some action..grab a mirror and a bottle of lotion
Pages: [1] 2 3