Strikeforce's 'King Mo' Lawal tests positive for anabolic steroid, fighter denies use

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce's 'King Mo' Lawal tests positive for anabolic steroid, fighter denies use
Next Page »
BuffaloDave
1/17/12 12:34:01PM
Former Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal tested positive for the anabolic steroid Drostanolone at the Jan. 7 "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine" event.

That's according to Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer, who today emailed the event's drug-testing results to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

When today contacted by MMAjunkie.com, Lawal denied using any banned substances.

Drostanolone (also known as Drolban or Masteron) often is used as a diuretic among weight-cutting athletes, according to various online sources.

LINK
BuffaloDave
1/17/12 12:39:56PM
So much for Mo getting that title shot, at least for the time being.

Hopefully they'll have him fight Rampage in his welcome back fight.
emfleek
1/17/12 12:44:12PM
Yet another reason to dislike him.

Man, NSAC really needs to upgrade the test kits they use. They *always* seem return false positives.

tallica62
1/17/12 12:44:40PM
has anyone ever admitted it and been like "yup..you got me"?
emfleek
1/17/12 12:46:11PM

Posted by tallica62

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Leben denied it when he got popped.
Kpro
1/17/12 12:48:31PM

Posted by tallica62

Hermes Franca did, because he got injured before his title fight against Sherk, and admitted without them his injury wouldn't have healed quick enough and he knew if he pulled out of the title fight, he probably wouldn't get one again. Funnily enough, the same fight that Sherk got popped and denied usage.
Lesnar1
1/17/12 1:01:46PM
This will give Rampage a whole bunch of new material on Mo.
Twenty20Dollars
1/17/12 1:11:50PM
He was framed.
jay98107
1/17/12 1:16:43PM
He's certainly a trash talking sonofabitch for somebody who cheats.
Kpro
1/17/12 1:17:04PM
It's probably happened to everyone. You're just out shopping at the mall and BAM someone runs by and injects you with steroids. No way to stop it from happening imo.
Sir_Karl
1/17/12 1:18:19PM
I am so sick and tired of all of the steroid and PED usage in MMA and other sports. Apparently fairness and integrity are far beyond the comprehension of many of today's athletes. If you can't compete without steroids maybe you shouldn't be competing. I say make the penalties super stiff and you will see the use of steroids disappear. It is simple....you get caught using roids and you are blackballed for 5 years. That would make most of them change their minds about cheating.
jay98107
1/17/12 1:18:41PM

Posted by Kpro

It's probably happened to everyone. You're just out shopping at the mall and BAM someone runs by and injects you with steroids. No way to stop it from happening imo.

It happened to me at Bed, Bath and Beyond the other day. Now I've been relentlessly talking shit every time I beat somebody who is top 30 in the division, at most.
Poor_Franklin
1/17/12 1:24:50PM

Posted by Kpro

seriously.......whatcha gonna do? it's not his fault
Kpro
1/17/12 1:25:30PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Kpro

It happened to me at Bed, Bath and Beyond the other day. Now I've been relentlessly talking shit every time I beat somebody who is top 30 in the division, at most.

No shit? I got hit at Pier One while looking at fake plants and now I wear a crown and trash talk referees.
jay98107
1/17/12 1:34:50PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Kpro

No shit? I got hit at Pier One while looking at fake plants and now I wear a crown and trash talk referees.

I was in the midst of projectile vomiting a blooming onion at my local Outback Steakhouse when I felt a jab in my thigh. Now I wear gold shoes and dance like an asshole.
scoozna
1/17/12 1:36:21PM
lol...the first comment under that article says "Queen Mo!".
Manak
1/17/12 2:22:02PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by tallica62

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Leben denied it when he got popped.

yea i think the 1st time he got caught he was just like yea i tired to get one on the system but it didnt work..

personally i think the penalties should be super harsh, i think the UFC could get a step ahead of every sport in this genre if they just said we will not deal with anyone if they are caught on PEDs. may be asking to much but F it, im tired of roids, stop being a bitch cause you cannot physically compete with others, its called work...
prophecy033
1/17/12 2:34:24PM
So are the group of fighters that haven't tested positive the minority? It's looking that way
tmas
1/17/12 2:51:09PM

Posted by prophecy033

So are the group of fighters that haven't tested positive the minority? It's looking that way

no....just the group of GOOD fighters lol.... now we know what it takes to get good, im hoping someone injects me while im on the toilet!.
machodog76
1/17/12 3:31:26PM
random year round testing would be the easiest way to combat this, I'm sure the UFC could afford it.
gartface
1/17/12 3:50:13PM

Posted by machodog76

random year round testing would be the easiest way to combat this, I'm sure the UFC could afford it.

I think the only problem with this solution is the fact that the UFC doesn't do its own testing, right? The commissions are the ones who administer the tests, and the fighters fight under different commissions throughout the year.

Are there different banned substances under each one of the commission's regulations? Or could they contract lab techs to conduct independent testing?

I'm not too familiar with the banned substances list and how independent each commission's regulations are from one another.
TeamDEY
1/17/12 3:55:22PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

So much for Mo getting that title shot, at least for the time being.

Hopefully they'll have him fight Rampage in his welcome back fight.

I would love this.
Kpro
1/17/12 3:59:19PM

Posted by gartface

Are there different banned substances under each one of the commission's regulations? Or could they contract lab techs to conduct independent testing?

I'm not too familiar with the banned substances list and how independent each commission's regulations are from one another.

Hey hey, easy on the questions. The AC's aren't exactly MLB fastball hitters. They're co-ed church league softball hitters with a .185 average. Throw them some questions they can actually answer, like what state are you located in?
sparky
1/17/12 4:08:40PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

He was framed.

airkerma
1/17/12 5:19:34PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Kpro

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Kpro

I was in the midst of projectile vomiting a blooming onion at my local Outback Steakhouse when I felt a jab in my thigh. Now I wear gold shoes and dance like
an asshole.

great thread
also didn't t silva admit it when they busted him with cat piss or whatever
prophecy033
1/17/12 5:39:59PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Kpro

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Kpro

I was in the midst of projectile vomiting a blooming onion at my local Outback Steakhouse when I felt a jab in my thigh. Now I wear gold shoes and dance like
an asshole.

great thread
also didn't t silva admit it when they busted him with cat piss or whatever

I think he denied it until they found out it wasn't human, then he came clean....pun intended
BuffaloDave
1/17/12 6:11:02PM

Posted by machodog76

I agree, plus I would make the people who test positive have to submit to random testing, out of their own pocket.
ncordless
1/17/12 7:58:42PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by machodog76

I think the only problem with this solution is the fact that the UFC doesn't do its own testing, right? The commissions are the ones who administer the tests, and the fighters fight under different commissions throughout the year.

The commissions do the testing in the US. UFC has done testing overseas.

There are huge problems with year-round testing. For starters, there would be the problem of who qualifies for year-round testing. Is it everyone who has a state license to fight? If so, that is going to be a huge chunk of taxpayer money going to test dudes fighting at the county fair. If you limit it to only to those fighting for the UFC, that is a pretty harsh interference with the freedom of contract in that the state would be in effect placing a qualification on contracting with a single company to a drug test. It can't just be anyone who might fight, no way is i lawful for the state to show up at your house and make you take a piss test without some special reason for doing so. But even ignoring the freedom arguments and assuming that the state could effectively institute drug testing in a focused way that would avoid privacy issues, the cost of such a program in a tough state budget climate is a non-starter imo. Nevada is fucking broke. MMA is a cash cow for them. There is no way that they are going to lessen their return on it right now.

The UFC could decide to institute its own drug policy, but doing so is not really to its advantage. First, there is the simple fact that PEDs improve the product that they put forth. Whether it be in reducing card destroying injuries through improved recovery, lessening the health dangers of extreme weight cuts, allowing fighters to extend their careers through TRT, the UFC benefits from the widespread use of PEDs in MMA and so far their is not near enough consumer outcry against PEDs in MMA to make it worth getting rid of those benefits. Second, creating an organizational drug testing policy puts them one step further down the path of a fighter's union. Drug testing policy is a prime topic in collective bargaining agreements. UFC doesn't want to put those kinds of big topics in the bargains with its athletes. They more they do, the more it makes sense for the fighters to engage in collective bargaining.
scoozna
1/18/12 11:20:46AM
I consider myself fairly ignorant on this topic. It seems there's plenty of legitimate use of PEDs, so I'm thinking it comes down to a safety issue - or a perceived safety issue. My question would be, how do the ACs inform themselves as to the safety of these PEDs, and is it inadequate, inconclusive, outdated...something else?

Without getting too political, is it more of the typical government-regulation-is-always-insufficient scenario?
ncordless
1/21/12 2:04:07PM

Posted by scoozna

I consider myself fairly ignorant on this topic. It seems there's plenty of legitimate use of PEDs, so I'm thinking it comes down to a safety issue - or a perceived safety issue. My question would be, how do the ACs inform themselves as to the safety of these PEDs, and is it inadequate, inconclusive, outdated...something else?

Without getting too political, is it more of the typical government-regulation-is-always-insufficient scenario?

Most state athletic commission are state administrative agencies under the direction of the executive branch. The legislature creates a law which creates the commission and defines its role, which usually includes a combination of investigatory, rule-making, and adjudicatory powers for things relating to the athletics under its power.

The executive branch then appoints the committee members who, depending on the specific state, may more may not have to be approved by the legislature. Depending on the political culture of the state, these appointments may be based on the expertise of the nominees or they might be be pure political patronage jobs for supporters of whoever the governor is. Also, the committee might have a requirement that makes it so the commission is split between the parties, with the executive branches party getting the deciding "odd" vote. For example, if there was a republican governor and a 7 member AC, 4 of the members would be appointed by the governor and 3 would be chosen by the opposition. Finally, depending on the state, the AC members are then removable only for cause, which means that the executive has limited ability to remove them. One of the byproducts of this is that AC members usually are not effected by a change in political administration until a member's term ends.

So, with that background of what an AC is, when dealing with PEDs they use the powers described above (investigation, rule making, and adjudication) to learn more about PEDs. For example, a possible way for a AC to come up with a rule about PEDs is to hold investigations about where studies are done and have people testify at hearings about PEDs, then, based on what those hearings produce, they create rules dealing with the PEDs. The ACs inform themselves by hearing and reading medical testimony about PEDs. It is also important to note that they are making their findings in the context of the broader political climate.

Most state ACs have a general presumption against PEDs that can only be overcome by obtaining permission from the AC to use them. This is exactly what happened to Sonnen. He was busted using TRT. Most fighters in their 30's are using TRT. Sonnen had gotten permission to use TRT in the past. But he had not asked permission to use them before his fight with Silva.

I have no problem with how the system is applied. It's how we do in the modern regulatory state at the national, state, and local level. My biggest problem is with the dogmatic negativity towards PEDs in sports throughout society as a whole. PEDs can make injuries less severe, recovery swifter, weight-cutting safer, etc. What we should be doing is taking more of the purpose-based approach as we have seen with TRT, and less of a substance-based approach. But that is very unlikely to happen until public opinion changes. Think about where you live. Do you think a headline talking about how a committee appointed by the governor is allowing performance enhancing drugs would go over very well? No way. And that is what is limiting the ability of the commissions to create more forward-thinking PED policies.
Pages: [1] 2