UFC vs Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UFC vs Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix
Boo_Radley21
3/14/11 1:05:00PM
They should do it and all the matches in the first round be opposing fighters

Brock Lesnar vs Bigfoot Silva
Shane Carwin vs Brett Rogers

Cain Velasquez vs Allistair Overeem
Junior Dos Santos vs Fedor Emelianenko

Who wins?
Boo_Radley21
3/14/11 1:14:50PM
I got

Brock Lesnar - vs Bigfoot Silva - Close because of Sliva's size and BJJ pedigree. Plus he has pretty good striking. I'd go with Lesnar though from what he did to Mir.

Shane Carwin vs Brett Rogers - I'd say Carwin by power and doing what he did to Lesnar in their first round, but Rogers doesn't come back as well.

Cain Velasquez vs Allistair Overeem - Velasquez could deal with the size difference I think if he kept the pressure and used his takedowns

Junior Dos Santos vs Fedor Emelianenko - Dos Santos is more his size and I'd give it to Fedor based on that alone. Without the size difference he's still sik I'd say.

Round 2 -

Lesnar vs Carwin - Very close I think it could go either way but would give it to Brock again if they fought for a second time.

Velasquez vs Fedor - Velasquez by using his wrestling again. On the feet Fedor's got a chance but I feel like he could be overpowered by Cain.

Final

Lesnar vs Velasquez - Cain would beat Brock again.

So Cain winning but just with those specific brackets, that really decides who wins is the match ups. Anyway thisll probably never happen but would be sweet.
Budgellism
3/14/11 3:04:47PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

They should do it and all the matches in the first round be opposing fighters

Brock Lesnar vs Bigfoot Silva
Shane Carwin vs Brett Rogers

Cain Velasquez vs Allistair Overeem
Junior Dos Santos vs Fedor Emelianenko

Who wins?

Round 1

Lesnar vs. Bigfoot Silva - This is one of the closer matches here. Bigfoot has a striking advantage and BJJ advantage and I would think Lesnar would have the wrestling and power advantage. Close fight but I can see Lesnar grinding him out.

Winner: Lesnar

Carwin vs. Rogers - This would be a very quick and exciting match. I see Carwin running out and hitting Rogers with a few huge punches putting him out around the 45-60 second mark.

Winner: Carwin

Velasquez vs Overeem - This is the one we've all been waiting for. UFC HW champ vs. Strikeforce HW champ. I've honestly gotta say I think Velasquez has the ability to take overeem down and pound him out. It's been done before, it can be done again. Cain's wrestling is unmatched right now, or so it seems. When you can shake off Lesnar's takedowns like Cain did you're on another level.

Winner: Velasquez

Dos Santos vs Emelianenko - This is my favourite fight you've put into this HW tourney. These guys will no doubt bang it out for a few minutes before Fedor takes it to the ground and unleashes an onslaught of his famous ground and pound to close out the round. I think in the 2nd Dos Santos comes out patiently and then gets tagged. Fedor will then take him down again and finish him near the end of the 2nd round with strikes.

Winner: Emelianenko

Round 2

Lesnar vs. Carwin II - This match will look a lot like Lesnar vs. Carwin I except for the ending. I see Carwin being able to learn from his mistakes and pace himself enough to actually be able to stop Lesnar. Probably at the end of the first round. I could even see Lesnar not being able to make it to round 2 and having it stopped in between rounds.

Winner: Carwin

Velasquez vs. Emelianenko - Had this fight been under Pride rules I would probably have a different result. That however isn't the case. Cain and Fedor will probably feel each other out for a little bit until Cain takes it to the ground. From there I see him being able to keep Fedor on his back for the rest of the fight.

Finals

Carwin vs. Velasquez - This is another great fight. Carwin has the size advantage and I would say the power advantage. Cain has the speed, cardio and technique advantage and arguably the wrestling advantage. I give Cain the advantage in this one. He has a lot more ways to win. I'm going to say Cain by tko in the 2nd.

After going through each match I would love to see this actually happen.
AchillesHeel
3/14/11 3:51:47PM
Brock Lesnar vs Bigfoot Silva - I've thought that Lesnar is a bit overrated all along, and nothing has really changed my mind. Silva, on the other hand, has improved dramatically in the last couple of years. Still, he's a BJJ guy, and until proven otherwise, I don't believe he can handle a wrestler he doesn't dwarf. Barring an injury or illness, there's just no way he manhandles Brock the way he did Fedor.

Lesnar by UD

Shane Carwin vs Brett Rogers - Rogers seemed a little cautious against Ubereem after being unable to put Fedor away, and I think it cost him. I didn't see his fight against Villareal, though. Meanwhile, I expect Carwin to have worked on his cardio and energy-management, but still look to smash his opponents into smithereens.

Carwin by 2nd-rnd TKO

Cain Velasquez vs Allistair Overeem - I think Cain would make Overeem look like an amateur with takedowns and wrestling control. Overeem would get a chance to knock Cain out at the beginning of the fight, and that's about it.

Velasquez by 1st-rnd TKO

Junior Dos Santos vs Fedor Emelianenko - Quite a tossup. How does Fedor adapt after the loss to Silva? He didn't evidently change anything after his loss to Werdum, but I didn't question that approach at the time. Now, I have to wonder. He's always been incredibly resilient and adaptable during fights, but it remains to be seen whether he can adapt to the new generation of fighters.

Fedor by 1st-rnd submission

With Strikeforce putting on a competitive 8-man tournament by itself, I would like to see a 16-man UFC-Strikeforce tournament.
TS92turbo
3/14/11 4:20:39PM
Am I the only one who says Overeem over Velasquez?
Boo_Radley21
3/15/11 6:44:02PM
I guess so
warglory
3/15/11 7:12:24PM

Posted by TS92turbo

Nope, I think Overeem would be able to take Velasquez. Cain traded with Cheick and was dropped a few times. Overeem is far superior to Cheick striking, but I still think Cain would stand and bang with him and the result would be utter destruction. The only hope is if Cain gets the quick take down.
Budgellism
3/20/11 4:24:01PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by TS92turbo

Nope, I think Overeem would be able to take Velasquez. Cain traded with Cheick and was dropped a few times. Overeem is far superior to Cheick striking, but I still think Cain would stand and bang with him and the result would be utter destruction. The only hope is if Cain gets the quick take down.

Cain's striking has improved since then. I think Cain would lose on the feet obviously but he's smart enough to take it down (which he will easily be able to do) and off his back Overeem will offer nothing at all leading to Cain stopping it with strikes.
Budgellism
3/20/11 4:26:09PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by warglory

Posted by TS92turbo

Cain's striking has improved since then. I think Cain would lose on the feet obviously but he's smart enough to take it down (which he will easily be able to do) and off his back Overeem will offer nothing at all leading to Cain stopping it with strikes.

It's actually not even close when I think about it. If this fight ever happens I'll be putting some serious cash on Velasquez because I'm assuming the lines will be extremely close.