Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated Following Grand Prix Finals and 'One More Fight'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated Following Grand Prix Finals and 'One More Fight'
FastKnockout
12/15/11 8:59:44PM
Moments ago on the Strikeforce media call to announce the new Showtime deal, it was announced that Strikeforce will be doing away with the heavyweight division in the near future. The way that the set-up is sounds as though Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier will meet in the Strikeforce Grand Prix finals and the winner will fight one more time against a (as it was put) "top heavyweight contender." After that fight, the heavyweight division will be eliminated in the promotion with fighters presumably moving to the UFC based on the promotion's desire.

UFC president Dana White said on the call that the division just is not deep enough to have it in both promotions and they will instead focus on the other classes and women's MMA.

LINK
FastKnockout
12/15/11 9:02:29PM
Dana said the winner of the tournament would next face a top "contender" but it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being for the UFC title.
Twenty20Dollars
12/15/11 9:19:37PM
HWGP winner faces a top contender?

Who would be a top contender, somebody who already fought in the tourney?

Will Barney actually come to the UFC?
shaneTpain
12/15/11 9:46:16PM
WOW this is GREAT! an invasion of hungry heavys flooding the UFC roster! match.. possibilitys.. overloading.. brain... about.. to.. pass... out... IIII> CANT> WAIT>
Twenty20Dollars
12/15/11 10:38:56PM
Shane Del Rosario
Chad Griggs
Fabricio Werdum(already coming over)
Josh Barnett
Shawn Jordan, young guy out of ABQ,NM
Daniel Cormier
Lavar Johnson
Antonio Silva
Sergei Kharitonov
Devin Cole

and

Herschel Walker
jae_1833
12/16/11 12:47:40AM
That is a great list, good new blood and some good old classics.....however if Barnett even farts during a drug test he should get banned from the sport altogether. If I am not confused he has failed three times!
tcunningham
12/16/11 12:49:42AM
very exciting. i dont see any future ufc champs coming from strikeforce but there are some great matchups. id love to see cormier be successful in the ufc. plus kharitonov has another chance to KO some fool
calitrees
12/16/11 1:11:58AM
I got amy eye on Cormier dude has potential and the wrestling base too be very dangerous and i got to say i do love me some Chad Griggs doesnt have the best skills but he has heart, id like to see him and Dave Herman or even Joey Beltran scrap it out

hashyandy4
12/16/11 2:07:27AM
This is great news!!
MMAcca
12/16/11 7:57:37AM
As far as i understood it, the UFC is bringing over the HWs of their choosing.

Not everybody is getting a ticket. No way will we see Herschel Walker in the Octagon.

It's interesting to see wether Barnett gets ANOTHER chance also.....
pmoney
12/16/11 8:03:56AM
I want Josh Barnett to win the GP all of the sudden

kopower
12/16/11 8:14:32AM
I'd love to see Cormier, Barny, and Kharitonov head over. Barnett vs Mir would be a great scrap.
Boo_Radley21
12/16/11 11:06:29AM
Can't wait to see Cormier fight in the UFC. And see Brock Lesnar destroy Bigfoot Silva
jjeans
12/16/11 11:32:50AM

Posted by kopower

I'd love to see Cormier, Barny, and Kharitonov head over. Barnett vs Mir would be a great scrap.

I'm done with that!

How about we bring back Randy Couture too and have him leave on a win... Against H Walker..
Aether
12/16/11 12:49:19PM
was wondering how long it would take the UFC to start shutting Strikeforce down. It's obviously happening, they're probably just wanting to do it slowly so they don't get a situation like they had with PRIDE/Affliction, creating a massive pool of solid fighters for someone with a lot of money to snatch up and try to form a new competitor.

Might also have to do with the CBS contract also.
emfleek
12/16/11 12:55:07PM

Posted by Aether

was wondering how long it would take the UFC to start shutting Strikeforce down. It's obviously happening, they're probably just wanting to do it slowly so they don't get a situation like they had with PRIDE/Affliction, creating a massive pool of solid fighters for someone with a lot of money to snatch up and try to form a new competitor.

Might also have to do with the CBS contract also.

I think the CBS contract is done, isn't it?
Travesty145
12/16/11 1:28:54PM
why not keep it open? cause when the ufc is about to cut certain fighters, they should just send them to strikeforce just in case
mrsmiley
12/16/11 3:03:43PM

Posted by kopower

Mir vs Barnett would be awesome.
pmoney
12/16/11 6:16:59PM

Posted by jeans

How about we bring back Randy Couture too and have him leave on a win... Against H Walker..

Now that is a freakshow fight I can get behind! Those are two beastly old men. The MMA legend versus the football hero! I can hear Zuffa printing money right now.

I like Zuffa keeping Strikeforce going. Since the acquisition occurred, I've been saying they need to be the UFC farm system. Get the UFC guys on the way out and mix them up with the new prospects trying to break into the big show. That's essentially what it is now, but they can make it more official, if you will.

Zuffa has had enough time to analyze Strikeforce and it's business model. Now that M-1 and Fedor have been kicked to the curb, and Hendo is cashing UFC checks again, I am sure it can be made into a profitable entity.
kopower
12/17/11 9:36:11AM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by jeans

Now that is a freakshow fight I can get behind! Those are two beastly old men. The MMA legend versus the football hero! I can hear Zuffa printing money right now.

I like Zuffa keeping Strikeforce going. Since the acquisition occurred, I've been saying they need to be the UFC farm system. Get the UFC guys on the way out and mix them up with the new prospects trying to break into the big show. That's essentially what it is now, but they can make it more official, if you will.

Zuffa has had enough time to analyze Strikeforce and it's business model. Now that M-1 and Fedor have been kicked to the curb, and Hendo is cashing UFC checks again, I am sure it can be made into a profitable entity.

I actually wouldn't mind that fight either. It's a freakshow fight, but not the most crazy one there's been. Walker actually has some decent skills. Still light years behind Couture though.