Strikeforce the greatest free card ever????

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Strikeforce the greatest free card ever????
NatedawgThaM
4/17/10 1:16:41AM
Im just thinking back to all the free cards we've gotten from WEC on Versus's and UFc on Spike, and now Im looking at this strikeforce card and the potential is absolutely amazing. On paper it looks like the greatest free card in MMA history, with not one, not 2, but THREE SICK TITLE FIGHTS!!! Im really pumped for every single fight on this card. I don't think any fight on this card will be boring.

Aoki will constantly be going for some sick submission while Melendez usually always brings it so that should be a war. King Mo is an exciting explosive monster against Gegard who's beautifully skillful so that should be great to watch, and Hendo will constantly keep Shields working which should make for a great fight IMO. CANT WAIT FOR TOMORROW!!!!

With that said, I know we have to wait(which sucks) til tomorrow night to see how this card goes, but so far what do you think has been the greatest free MMA card in history? Im saying WEC 34 with Faber-Pulver 1 and Torres-Maeda. Its rare you see amazing title fights that are instant classics, but to get TWO on the same night that easily could of been fight of the year that year was nothing short of amazing...
hippysmacker
4/17/10 9:06:15AM
IMO you can't really judge a card till its over. So many times I am looking forward to a card and it underwhelms , or vice versa. I was really looking forward to the free UFC 70 then there were so many commercials, Cro-cop got shockingly KOed ruining my dream matchups, and AA and Werdum barely fought eachother . Weird as it may sound the TUF 2 finale ( after the fact ) was favorite free card off the top of my head. A brawl from Rashad/Imes, entertaining matchup from Stevenson/Cummo, Highlight Ko for Burkman over Morgan, the ridiculous explosive violence of Kit Cope before Florian wisely got him down and jacked up his arm. Jardine chopping down some guy i can't remembers legs, Marcus and Melvin throwing down, and an awesome fight of the year candidate in Diego Snachez / Nick Diaz all come to mind. So even though I really wasn't overly pumped up for it, it was highly entertaining to me,and I must have watched it 10 times by now. I am sure if I thought more about I could come up with some other examples, but off the top of my head thats the most fun I have had watching a free card. As for this fight card i don't see Mo as a deserving challenger. It the strikeforce version of Quarry /Franklin to me.Who has he beat that he deserves a title shot? No one if you ask me, but he can sell tix. Now Hendo /Sheilds and Aoki/Melendez is something I am definitely looking forward too. The undercard has nothing I am looking forward to, but maybe they will show some good fights off it.
kopower
4/17/10 9:22:13AM
It always seems like the cards with numerous big names don't live up to the hype, and the cards that seem weak produce the best fights. I have high hopes for the three title fights tonight. On paper, I believe it is the greatest free card ever. Now if next weeks WEC were free, from top to bottom that card is stacked and I would consider that the best free card ever.
ncordless
4/17/10 9:39:17AM
I agree with hippy about it being hard to judge something like that until it is over. But as far as potential matchups, I think this card is right up there with best free cards of all time.

As for Lawal/Mousasi, I think that while this fight comes to early for Lawal it makes more sense than any other LHW title fight they could put on at this time. Don't count out Lawal either, he is a true elite wrestler and freakish athlete who has done the work to transfer over to MMA.
scoozna
4/17/10 10:12:42AM
This card certainly has that expectation factor going for it. And while there's no guarantee of good fights (not even in the UFC), I believe that's what we want as fans, to get psyched about fights, and expect and look forward to seeing the top dogs perform to their abilities. (hint, hint Silva....)
Bowen50
4/17/10 12:02:52PM
tepid55
4/17/10 12:16:19PM
I think this card may be the best free TV event in MMA history.
postman
4/17/10 12:39:41PM
Its a good one but so many great WEC cards and UFC 7 Hendo Rampage has to be the best free fight to this point get back to ya later tonight or tomorrow.
seanfu
4/17/10 1:40:35PM
It should be amazing based on matchups alone. They are all exciting really.
State_Champ
4/17/10 1:58:28PM
We'll see...

I thought 112 was gonna be a sweet card and we all know how that ended.

But on paper this CBS card loos awesome!!!!
mrsmiley
4/17/10 3:56:25PM
I'm super excited for the Aoki/Melendez bout. Though Hendo vs Rampage was really the first unified title fight, Pride was already dead by the time the bout happened. Dream and Strikeforce are both still thriving and I hope this builds up a healthy rivalry between the two.
seanfu
4/17/10 3:59:19PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I'm super excited for the Aoki/Melendez bout. Though Hendo vs Rampage was really the first unified title fight, Pride was already dead by the time the bout happened. Dream and Strikeforce are both still thriving and I hope this builds up a healthy rivalry between the two.

yeah, I think it's so badass how these two are really pioneering the symbiotic major org relationship
postman
4/17/10 6:56:55PM

Posted by seanfu

Posted by mrsmiley

yeah, I think it's so badass how these two are really pioneering the symbiotic major org relationship

Well Sengoko and DREAM did this on new years and drummed up a lot of heat between the fighters
kopower
4/17/10 9:41:31PM
Well, this card went from the possible best to forgettable after the Mousasi/Mo fight.
NatedawgThaM
4/17/10 11:50:17PM
Hahahahahah key words. ON PAPER.

Disgusting.
telnights
4/18/10 12:04:47AM
This thought the card was a real let down. I was looking forward to it and it ended up being very very lack luster. Maybe the WEC will be better. I don't think it could be much worse.
ncordless
4/18/10 12:33:36AM
Definitely wasn't the best or worst card ever.

I thought it was an interesting card with some definite suprises and some very good technical top games, but lacked action and was never really that competitive.
Rush
4/18/10 2:39:34AM
I watched the three title fights and my eyes hurt. This was one of the worst cards I have ever watched. Honestly, Mousasi, Aoki and Henderson looked so 1D, so uninspired, I just can't believe it was real (well, with Aoki I bought it).

I don't think I will ever watch a Strikeforce event again, save for an individual fight that features Fedor because he seems to be the only guy that actually looks like he is fighting for real.

hippysmacker
4/18/10 2:44:38AM
In hindsight maybe Mo/ Mousassi was more like Lesnar /Couture. He had the ability to win, but I still think he hadn't earned a title shot. Kind of surprised Mousassi didn't try to get up more. Well props to Mo for the ability to takedown at will.
DCRage
4/18/10 7:41:12AM
One of the worst events I've ever seen. The only solace for me was being able to watch the Mets-Cards marathon on my local Fox. And perhaps the post-main event fracas.
Caesarrrr
4/18/10 2:15:29PM
The worst event I've ever seen. I'm not even kidding. Fight 1 had two gassed out guys doing very little, the second fight had an overly cautious Gilbert melendez peppering a luckluster Aoki, and the third had the biggest upset of the year.
State_Champ
4/18/10 2:44:59PM

Posted by Caesarrrr

The worst event I've ever seen. I'm not even kidding. Fight 1 had two gassed out guys doing very little, the second fight had an overly cautious Gilbert melendez peppering a luckluster Aoki, and the third had the biggest upset of the year.

I thought all the fighters showed a ton of heart. I didn't think Mousasi gassed, he was just too calm/patient. And although I was cheering for Henderson I still think the upset was very cool.