Strikeforce Grand Prix Winner Will Not Be Crowned the New Heavyweight Champion

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce Grand Prix Winner Will Not Be Crowned the New Heavyweight Champion
FastKnockout
8/30/11 3:09:30PM
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirms that the winner of the ongoing Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix will not win the title vacated by Alistair Overeem when he left the promotion.

LINK
prophecy033
8/30/11 3:12:02PM
Then what's the damn point, a GP champ? They should just crown the winner and be done with it
ghandikush
8/30/11 4:32:19PM

Posted by prophecy033

Then what's the damn point, a GP champ? They should just crown the winner and be done with it

Pride.
Dberntson
8/30/11 4:44:31PM
That's because the winner will probably move over to the UFC along with all the other champs. The UFCs heavy weight division is still pretty slim and could use some depth and talent.

Strikeforce will either become a feeder/minor league for up and comers and veterans out of the UFC (hopefully - with a lot of free events) or it will be dissolved like PRIDE. I would like to see a lower level Strikeforce (with fighters just outside of UFC caliber) if all of the events were shown for free on cable or network TV. There are a lot of good fighters who put on good fights, but just aren't good enough for the UFCs limited rosters.
prophecy033
8/30/11 4:51:36PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by prophecy033

Pride.

that's funny, I bet they didn't enroll in the GP for "pride".
shaneTpain
8/30/11 4:57:10PM
yeah really! whats the point?! give the poor dudes a belt for petes sake!!!
ghandikush
8/30/11 6:37:13PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by prophecy033

Pride.

that's funny, I bet they didn't enroll in the GP for "pride".

No, I posted Pride, as in Pride FC yearly GPs and noone crowned champ.
Sir_Karl
8/30/11 6:46:07PM
If they are going to keep Strikeforce around like they say they are then it only makes sense that the GP winner should be the champ. Hello? You put your best HWs in a tourney, the HW belt is currently free and the winner of the tourney doesn't get the belt? Makes no sense. Once all of the contracts are finished I hope Zuffa just assimilates Strikeforce into the UFC. Having both promotions is just stupid. Plain and simple.
Bubbles
8/31/11 6:00:33PM
all of these decisions the past couple months from SF really doesnt make any sense and just further leads to SF being dissolved by the time Jan 1, 2012 hits