Strikeforce exec says "Mayhem" Miller acted on his own, should have expected fallout

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce exec says "Mayhem" Miller acted on his own, should have expected fallout
SmileR
4/18/10 12:43:11PM
Much of the conversation in the mixed martial arts community following the incident has focused on assigning blame for the dust-up. While Coker was forced to speak about the incident before he had a chance to see it with his own eyes – the exec had already begun his transit to the evening's post-fight press conference when the trouble began – he believes Miller should have been able to foresee the consequences of his cage entrance.

"I didn't see it," Coker said. "I don't know how [Miller] got in there. But when you have the cornermen that Jake has, and something like that happens, you know there's going to be an issue. I don't know why he couldn't have thought that out because I could have told you that prior to them (brawling) that we should have kept them apart.

Link
whardin19
4/18/10 1:05:43PM
How can Coker blame Mayhem before he's even watched the incident? It's just retarted. Guess he's just trying not to make Shields mad at him when he's soon going to be in contract talks with him.
grappler0000
4/18/10 2:26:09PM

Posted by whardin19

How can Coker blame Mayhem before he's even watched the incident? It's just retarted. Guess he's just trying not to make Shields mad at him when he's soon going to be in contract talks with him.

Well, either he blames Miller or he blames his 3 champions...it's a lot easier to throw Miller under the bus, considering what's at stake. I already saw that coming though. If you watch Mauro Renallo last night after the incident, he resembles a guy that had someone buzzing in his earpiece to release a statement about Miller being at fault. When they came back from the break, Mauro was trying to get to the mic even though Jake was giving his thoughts. I mean, he was really trying to usher him aside. When Gus finally started to ask Mauro a question, he interrupted him to tell him what a disgraceful move it was on Miller's part. I have no doubt someone in Strikeforce was pushing that statement. I'll give Coker the benefit of the doubt though. He's a pretty reasonable guy, so I'll wait to see what he does after watching the video before I form my complete opinion.
DevonFoxy
4/18/10 2:41:01PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by whardin19

Well, either he blames Miller or he blames his 3 champions...it's a lot easier to throw Miller under the bus, considering what's at stake. I already saw that coming though. If you watch Mauro Renallo last night after the incident, he resembles a guy that had someone buzzing in his earpiece to release a statement about Miller being at fault. When they came back from the break, Mauro was trying to get to the mic even though Jake was giving his thoughts. I mean, he was really trying to usher him aside. When Gus finally started to ask Mauro a question, he interrupted him to tell him what a disgraceful move it was on Miller's part. I have no doubt someone in Strikeforce was pushing that statement. I'll give Coker the benefit of the doubt though. He's a pretty reasonable guy, so I'll wait to see what he does after watching the video before I form my complete opinion.

It's easy to put the blame on someone else when it's clearly your fault Scott. Not having enough guys guarding the cage and inside the cage and whatever. I think if anyone has to take the blame it's Coker as the inmates are running the asylum plain and simple. It's your promotion Coker own up for not controlling what goes on.
postman
4/18/10 2:49:44PM
No matter what Miller didn't say anything that deserved him getting attacked by a group of thugs
jimmypockets
4/18/10 2:56:52PM
I watched the video a few times and it just doesn't make sense how Mayhem Miller got into the cage, walked over to Shields ( who is in front of a live TV camera), stand for 5 to 10 seconds , and then take over the microphone without any "Security" stopping him. With that being said I blame the promotion and venue security for letting this happen. It almost makes me wonder if the whole thing was meant to happen.

On a seperate note, I think the pushing was tolerable but the 3 soccer kicks that Nate Diaz threw while Mayhem was on the ground was uncalled for. For the promotion to, in many ways, condone these actions is a HUGE mistake on their part. Strikeforce should take the responsibility and fine both fighters. That is the professional and responsible thing to do.

That card was booooooorrrring and the only thing worth watching over was the brawl at the end. That is sad Strikeforce. Your fighters better start looking for a backup plan because you will fall like the rest if you continue to put on shows like that.
george112
4/18/10 2:57:35PM

Posted by postman

No matter what Miller didn't say anything that deserved him getting attacked by a group of thugs

if anything Miller did SF a favor for spicing up the show..seriously all he said was 'whats up with my rematch" or something like that with a SMILE on his face its not like he was right up in shields face with a nasty snarl. hell even at first jake was patted him on the stomach a gesture that universally means 'whats up" than all hell broke loose...better than the shields/hendo fight IMO
grappler0000
4/18/10 3:00:14PM

Posted by postman

And I believe that's the most important thing to remember when trying to soak everything in. I have a hard time believing Scott will be singing the same tune once he watches the video, but we'll see.
jason791
4/18/10 3:11:57PM
Strikeforce-Nashville Brawl (Jason"Mayhem"Miller)Awesome Fight!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0yLik8GmWA&feature=youtube_gdata

Caesarrrr
4/18/10 3:30:47PM

Posted by jimmypockets

I watched the video a few times and it just doesn't make sense how Mayhem Miller got into the cage, walked over to Shields ( who is in front of a live TV camera), stand for 5 to 10 seconds , and then take over the microphone without any "Security" stopping him. With that being said I blame the promotion and venue security for letting this happen. It almost makes me wonder if the whole thing was meant to happen.

and thats the problem. Miller was supposedly in the corner of Dan, so he'd be allowed in the cage, but where are SF's officials that keep everyone from brawling? and why in god's name does SF allow so many people in the cage?
gartface
4/18/10 3:36:15PM
Don't know what's sadder, the fact that they showed an absolute lack of class, or that five or six boot stomps to Mayhem didn't even seem to scathe him.
Giant_Ochai
4/18/10 4:04:33PM

Posted by whardin19

Because Mayhem had no business being inside the cage. What does retarted mean?
sbulldavid
4/18/10 4:15:31PM
Even Coker knows what happens when you roll up on the Diaz boys and El Nino !
BustedKnuckle
4/18/10 4:41:40PM
Even if he was acting on his own, he was supposed to expect the diaz sisters and gilbert to attack him like a prison shanking!?!?!?!? WTF is Coker thinking??? I hope to hell CBS pulls SF off the air. And these so called "PROFESSIONALS" have to face criminal charges for what happened.
Giant_Ochai
4/18/10 5:15:43PM

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Even if he was acting on his own, he was supposed to expect the diaz sisters and gilbert to attack him like a prison shanking!?!?!?!? WTF is Coker thinking??? I hope to hell CBS pulls SF off the air. And these so called "PROFESSIONALS" have to face criminal charges for what happened.

Oh so you think the whole organization needs to be punished for what those three did? And you want them imprisoned? Why not punish the audience as well?
State_Champ
4/18/10 5:39:06PM
I just watched the vid again....and again...
The announcer actually says--on national tv-- "Sometimes these things happen in MMA.." !?!?! Really, saying that sort of thing will either turn-off the casual fan or intrigue them for the wrong reasons. I think that was a mistake and it definitely doesn't make MMA sound very professional or well regulated.

Also, the brawl was funny, but clearly a bad thing for the appearance of the sport.
mshalosky
4/18/10 6:16:21PM
Does anyone actually beleive coker hasnt watched the video yet. This article was posted at 12:15 pm today. That would mean that the interview was probably taken this mourning around 11 or so. Why the hell would the coker still not have seen the video 12 hours after the incident. Coker is obviously stalling and trying to find someone to put the blame on. Which imo he will likely put it all on miller. Diaz boys are a bunch of thugs. Great fighters but bad for the sport.
prozacnation1978
4/18/10 6:22:20PM
Nice boss to have!!
Pretty much said mayhem got what he deserved
bjj1605
4/18/10 7:24:28PM
To answer one question swirling around, I think Mayhem was allowed in the cage because he was in Hendo's corner. Same reason the Diaz boys were in the cage.

Here's how I saw it:

Mayhem walked over smiling and joking, obviously trying to hype up a future fight and maybe put himself in the spot light. Jake took it well enough though he looked a little annoyed. Gilbert walked over and tried to make Mayhem get out of the camera shot. Mayhem pushed him a little. Then Jake shoved Mayhem. The Diaz brothers being who they are (its hard to talk about this instance with out fighter bashing the Diaz bros) took it to a new level and started throwing punches and kicks.

My take on it:

Mayhem could have waited till Jake finished talking, but no big deal. Gil had no reason to get involved. Jake shouldn't have shoved Mayhem, but really nothing we haven't seen before. Then the Diaz bros got involved and escalated the whole situation. They're to blame and there is no excusing their behavior.
SmileR
4/18/10 7:41:05PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Oh so you think the whole organization needs to be punished for what those three did? And you want them imprisoned? Why not punish the audience as well?

Because the audience had nothing to do with it and Strikeforce who are meant to be in charge of security and the cage are responsible for everything that happens in the cage.
I'd actually say a stint in prison would do the Diaz brothers and the rest of his camp good.
C-MurdA
4/18/10 8:18:40PM
ballin ballin ballin
snakeplissken
4/19/10 4:42:10AM
Right I've awatched this clip a few more times now and I have a few thoughts I'd like to add You Tube of brawl

1. At the very beginnning of the clip you can see Mayhem off to the right of where Sheilds is being interviewed, just standing there, so it wasn't like he invaded the cage.

2. you then see him walk behind the banner to get around to the left side of Sheilds.

3. Why did the TV team choose to cut to on overhead of the ring and then do a close up of th brawl instead of cutting away to a crowd shot or something else?

To me this is a big set up on SF's part to build to a Sheilds/Mayhem fight...

Also, will Dana take on Sheilds after this kind of behaviour?
icantthinkofanything
4/19/10 7:44:10AM
Diaz bros should get a big fine, but no suspension. That way they will have to fight a lot to pay it off. I hope Dana White picks up Shields, looks like SF will break up, this stunt to get ratings was unoticed by the media imo, and prolly hurt the image of mma on free tv, for the few execs that did notice.
Naturaldisaster
4/19/10 6:44:11PM
Strikeforce is run by idiots. Their precious Jake shields and Gilbert melendez are to blame the most, they were the 1st 2 that started hittin mayhem. Their a disgrace to the sports, I hope they both get dominated in their next fights and lose their belts. and fade back into the smaller noone cares shows
MaxOne
4/20/10 1:24:00AM
i'd hate to see strikeforce pulled off the air and i understand that they are trying to protect their champions and their company by blaming miller (which is silly...he clearly can't be blamed for trying to hype a rematch in the normal way that fighters do after the champ wins a fight) but i am still optimistic and think that in general strikeforce is good for the sport.

i do think diaz, melendez and maybe shields (looked like he was first to punch from what i saw) should be suspended with some fines.