Strikeforce was entertaining...but not the best card of the year

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Strikeforce was entertaining...but not the best card of the year
warglory
12/5/10 10:56:30AM
I am reading everywhere people exclaiming that this was the best fight card of the year. Why? Because a bunch of guys got knocked out? KO's are entertaining, don't get me wrong, but they don't make great fights.
Twenty20Dollars
12/5/10 11:07:20AM
I mean compared to TUF, SF blew it out of the water. But SF had like an hour of air time that they didnt use because they cant put on a decent under card.
warglory
12/5/10 11:13:12AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I mean compared to TUF, SF blew it out of the water. But SF had like an hour of air time that they didnt use because they cant put on a decent under card.

I actually don't even think they film many of their undercard bouts.
mrsmiley
12/5/10 11:22:49AM
Warglory I agree that knockouts don't make great fights....They simply make great conclusion. Just watch Mike Russow vs Todd Duffe for a refresher course on that lesson.

On the opposite I felt Garcia verse Pham was a solid fight with a terrible conclusion. In the end I felt both cards had a lot of merit to draw on,though the constant skull cracking the SF event offered gave it more umph. It's sad a lot people probably missed out on it though. Perhaps i'm placing last nights action too much in pigeon hole but for grappling action TUF was the place to be. For stand up action SF delivered in droves.

BTW, Shamrock and militech are really growing on me as a commentating team. If they could just turn down Renallo's microphone or perhaps get rid of him all togehter I would be much happier listening to SF events.
RyanC
12/5/10 11:29:35AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Warglory I agree that knockouts don't make great fights....They simply make great conclusion. Just watch Mike Russow vs Todd Duffe for a refresher course on that lesson.

On the opposite I felt Garcia verse Pham was a solid fight with a terrible conclusion. In the end I felt both cards had a lot of merit to draw on,though the constant skull cracking the SF event offered gave it more umph. It's sad a lot people probably missed out on it though. Perhaps i'm placing last nights action too much in pigeon hole but for grappling action TUF was the place to be. For stand up action SF delivered in droves.

BTW, Shamrock and militech are really growing on me as a commentating team. If they could just turn down Renallo's microphone or perhaps get rid of him all togehter I would be much happier listening to SF events.

I totally agree with you about the grappling on TUF. There was definitely some good stuff happening on the mat last night. I thought there were better fights on TUF from the standpoint of skill and technical ability as well as the matches being pretty even. Strikeforce was only sweet cause some people got their heads knocked off which was exciting, and I liked watching it but that first fight was actually pretty bad.

I like Shamrock and Militcech, but Renallo has to be the most obnoxious commentator EVER. He was so freaking over the top cheesy last night. I was hoping Militech would turn and knock him out his chair. "Ho Ho Ho KO!" He actually said that.
Chael_Sonnen
12/5/10 12:04:45PM

Posted by warglory

I am reading everywhere people exclaiming that this was the best fight card of the year. Why? Because a bunch of guys got knocked out? KO's are entertaining, don't get me wrong, but they don't make great fights.

Totally agree.
TheGodfather1024
12/5/10 12:26:46PM
UFC 117 and 116 were both better than SF....not to hate on SF though it was a solid card
TutGadol
12/5/10 12:51:57PM
I agree. You can put a bunch of amateurs against pro fighters and get some KOs, but it won't make it a good fight. A good fight is both competitive and action packed, the only fight on SFs card that did both was Bigfoot vs Kyle.
It was entertaining to watch and certainly more entertaining then TUF 12 finale but it was not the best card of the year.
cowcatcher
12/5/10 5:50:43PM
Just to play devil's advocate, was it the most exciting card of the year? My friends and I were jumping around watching SF last night, it was fun as hell to watch, but it also had the UFC card as a lead in and that was really slow. It got as big of a pop throughout the card as any card has this year, and that's saying something because WEC usually walks with that crown.

I guess my point was, there's something to be said for entertaining. We can get snobbish as the hardcore fans and act like the Zombie/Garcia fight was so sloppy is wasn't enjoyable, but the fact is that's the stuff that makes you jump out of your seat and scream at the TV and so are huge KOs. I think I had more fun watching the SF card than any other this year and to me that might make it my card of the year. the live fights from Japan take a hit here because it's hard to have a ton of gas in the tank when those are on.
warglory
12/5/10 6:22:04PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Just to play devil's advocate, was it the most exciting card of the year? My friends and I were jumping around watching SF last night, it was fun as hell to watch, but it also had the UFC card as a lead in and that was really slow. It got as big of a pop throughout the card as any card has this year, and that's saying something because WEC usually walks with that crown.

I guess my point was, there's something to be said for entertaining. We can get snobbish as the hardcore fans and act like the Zombie/Garcia fight was so sloppy is wasn't enjoyable, but the fact is that's the stuff that makes you jump out of your seat and scream at the TV and so are huge KOs. I think I had more fun watching the SF card than any other this year and to me that might make it my card of the year. the live fights from Japan take a hit here because it's hard to have a ton of gas in the tank when those are on.

To a certain degree I'd agree with you cowcatcher, but I think my argument is that it should take more than flash KO's and 5 second bouts to entertain us, you know? I actually really enjoyed the main event from the TUF finale, it was one of the best technical back and forth wrestling bouts I have seen in awhile. I can appreciate why some people may find that boring, but really, if you are a true fan of mma, you should be able to be entertained other aspects of the game. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but that's my point.
postman
12/5/10 8:04:18PM
Depends on what you like I think. If you wanna see tech ground wars then no if you wanna see amazing stand up then no you wanna see knock outs then yeah it was card of the year. I do have to say I have never been amazed by about an hour and a half of fighting like that.
emfleek
12/6/10 9:06:19AM

Posted by cowcatcher

We can get snobbish as the hardcore fans and act like the Zombie/Garcia fight was so sloppy is wasn't enjoyable, but the fact is that's the stuff that makes you jump out of your seat and scream at the TV and so are huge KOs.

THANK YOU!!!

I'm so sick of the "it was a sloppy fight" rebuttal when anyone mentions how exciting the Zombie/Garcia fight was.
AchillesHeel
12/6/10 1:41:43PM

Posted by emfleek

THANK YOU!!!

I'm so sick of the "it was a sloppy fight" rebuttal when anyone mentions how exciting the Zombie/Garcia fight was.

For what it's worth, when I point out how sloppy it was, I'm saying it wasn't Fight of the Year, which a lot of people have said it should be. I agree that it was exciting, but that's about all it was. If that makes me "snobbish and hardcore", I'm okay with that.
emfleek
12/6/10 1:45:57PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

For what it's worth, when I point out how sloppy it was, I'm saying it wasn't Fight of the Year, which a lot of people have said it should be. I agree that it was exciting, but that's about all it was. If that makes me "snobbish and hardcore", I'm okay with that.

Eh...I don't get into the whole "of the Year" debate, anyways. And I wasn't singling you out. I agree it was a sloppy fight, but that gets brought up EVERY time anyone mentions that fight...even when it's not part of one of the "of the Year" discussions.
warglory
12/6/10 7:52:10PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by cowcatcher

We can get snobbish as the hardcore fans and act like the Zombie/Garcia fight was so sloppy is wasn't enjoyable, but the fact is that's the stuff that makes you jump out of your seat and scream at the TV and so are huge KOs.

THANK YOU!!!

Well what about the Bonnar/Griffin fight? So many people say this is the best fight in UFC history, but I consider it to be the most overrated for the sole reason it was a slop fest.
Pookie
12/6/10 8:27:06PM
The most impressive thing to watch during a fight is toughness and heart. I find it infinitely more entertaining than watching skill counteract skill.

Leben v. Akiyama = Fight of the year.
cowcatcher
12/7/10 11:15:46AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by emfleek

THANK YOU!!!

By no means was I aiming that at you or anyone else posting in the thread, I just was using that as an example. When people say they didn't enjoy a fight like that I have to wonder if they mean it or are just putting on their "World's Greatest MMA Fan" T-shirt and just trying to show their refined MMA tastes to everyone else in cyberland...you hardcore snob.
AchillesHeel
12/7/10 11:28:14AM

Posted by emfleek

And I wasn't singling you out.

Posted by cowcatcher

By no means was I aiming that at you or anyone else posting in the thread[...]

No worries, I didn't think you were. In fact, I would have been surprised if you knew what I thought of Garcia-v-Jung before now. I'm not sure I've ever commented on it before.

Posted by cowcatcher

...you hardcore snob.

Posted by warglory

Well what about the Bonnar/Griffin fight? So many people say this is the best fight in UFC history, but I consider it to be the most overrated for the sole reason it was a slop fest.

I would disagree with anyone who said it was the best fight in UFC history, but I think it has to be considered one of the most important. I've always assumed that's what people mean when they talk about that fight.

Posted by Pookie

The most impressive thing to watch during a fight is toughness and heart. I find it infinitely more entertaining than watching skill counteract skill.

Yeah, one danger of the "there's something to be said for entertaining" point is that we could forget that, for some of us, a skillful contest is entertaining. For example, I thought George Sotiropoulous vs. Joe Stevenson was ten times the fight that Garcia vs. Jung was.