STRIKEFORCE / ELITE XC: JUNE 22nd - Baroni -VS- Shamrock

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » STRIKEFORCE / ELITE XC: JUNE 22nd - Baroni -VS- Shamrock
CornishMMA
6/7/07 9:17:05AM
Couldnt see a thread on this already so thought id make one, IMHO this main card is far far far better than most UFC main cards (well you have a few extra fights) but it absolutely shows up the UFC 72 card imo.

Heres a fairly vague and uninspiring breakdown of the main card including GIFS and links to previous fights!!!

-Frank Shamrock vs. Phil Baroni
Franks last fight was in Feb with that infamous DQ loss to Renzo

Baronis last fight was way back in October with a sub win (yes he slapped a KImura on). But for those of you havnt seen Baroni since he last fought in the UFC heres a HL vid inc some of his PRIDE fights This is why Baroni is the man and the best EVA Yep thats him with Chonan (the last mean to properly beat Anderson Silva) and he KHTFO!!!
-Murilo "Ninja" Rua vs. Joey Villasenor
Joey is coming off a big 30-27 win over Loiseau, and Ninja is coming off of 2 CR wins (that freak shin cut and before that his win over Weir), this is a pick em fight imo and very interesting
-Paul Buentello vs. Carter Williams
Pauls on a 3 fight win streak, at ufc 57 he beat the late Gilbert Aldana (RIP) and since then has KO'd none other than Tank and lastly Warpath, he is a top top HW striker and should beat Carter who is just 3-1 but hasnt fought since '04
-Paul Daley vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig
We have all seen how good Daleys hands are in CR but BANG has been banging consistently as well, heres his fight against Jens Pulver
-Josh Thomson vs. Nick Gonzalez
The Punk is still top qualiy despite his shutout loss to Clay Guida last year, dunno his opponent though
-Cung Le vs. Tony Fryklund
Cung Le is the sheeeeeet, he should mess up the freak a bit like this

-Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett vs. Victor "Joe Boxer" Valenzuela
Krazy last fought in Feb with this beauty of a KO
dunno his opponent but his last few wins were subs albeit against very poor opposition, and seeing as Krazy usually goes win loss win loss he will likely get subbed but im hoping for a nice KO from the horse
Stickan
6/7/07 9:56:47AM
Nice breakdown and a great card indeed. Ninja - Villasenor is gonna be a barnburner for sure.
A card like this makes you realize that not everybody is in the UFC.

Who of these fighters would you like to see in the UFC?
I'd like to see:
Villasenor for sure
Ninja
Baroni
Josh Thomson
Perhaps:
Cung Le
Bang Ludwig

That's a lot of quality fighters.
CornishMMA
6/7/07 1:00:20PM
Yeah me too pretty much all of them, definately Cung Le as he is such an exciting striker, and hey Krazy is marketable as well

Tho Baroni will be coming back WHEN he KSTFO IF Dana keeps his word
warglory
6/8/07 10:40:17AM
This definitely looks like an interesting card. I'll seriously consider picking this one up!
CornishMMA
6/11/07 10:21:02AM
If anybody out there can only afford 1 ppv this month you would be a MUG to buy ufc 72 instead of this card imo!!!!

Is there no more love for this event?
Stickan
6/11/07 10:36:25AM

Posted by CornishMMA

If anybody out there can only afford 1 ppv this month you would be a MUG to buy ufc 72 instead of this card imo!!!!

Is there no more love for this event?

Who are you? Gary Shaw?
fatdevil1982
6/11/07 11:12:16AM
sham vs baroni should be awesome
deffinately main event anywhere

Ninja vs villasenior
i could care less, i hope ninja wins cause he was always interesting
im not big on joey cause i saw his destruction at the hands of lawler and his win over david was no that impressive. i would say mostly a paper victory

le vs fryklund
im still not to impressed with le and fryklund is way off from being big but i know that he is a step up from von flue. i got a bad feeling that th ewinner of this will get a shot at the new 185 lb title

williams vs buentello
i like buentello and hope he wins, ive seen carter do a kickboxing match for k-1 usa at the first GFC and i was not impressed

bang vs daley
i hope bang takes it, i never saw daley but i do know alot of UK guys are just not quite up to par. not all of them, but alot of them

bennet vs boxer
bennet all the way, the fight wont even be entertaining, only the knockout will

mike pyle vs wetherspoon
pyle all the way, good guy with tons of heart and ever growing talent
hippysmacker
6/15/07 10:00:11AM
I'm buying it
jdubs
6/15/07 11:40:15AM
me to.. hippysmacker, no ankle locks here.. u bout to get the DDT!
hippysmacker
6/15/07 9:33:16PM
I don't think even the people's elbow could stop Reggie
Gkizi
6/15/07 10:09:21PM
Can anyone tell me what happened in the first fight of Krazy Horse and Joe Boxer ? I saw a video that Krazy Horse was on the ground ''sleeping'' and the judges declares a draw.

loller90278
6/16/07 6:59:59PM
Chute Boxe middleweight Murilo Rua (Pictures) has dropped off June 22's Showtime pay-per-view card in San Jose, Calif. after failing a California State Athletic Commission physical, the promoter announced Friday.

Scheduled to fight on the undercard of Frank Shamrock (Pictures)'s showdown against Phil Baroni (Pictures), Rua was a week away from facing Joey Villasenor (Pictures) for the vacant EliteXC 185-pound crown. A replacement for "Ninja" will be announced "very soon," said EliteXC's Gary Shaw, who is promoting in conjunction with Strikeforce.

SHITTY!!!!!!!!! i was really lookin forward to this fight.. the replacement better not be some can.
Northrend
6/16/07 7:34:40PM

Posted by loller90278

Chute Boxe middleweight Murilo Rua (Pictures) has dropped off June 22's Showtime pay-per-view card in San Jose, Calif. after failing a California State Athletic Commission physical, the promoter announced Friday.

Scheduled to fight on the undercard of Frank Shamrock (Pictures)'s showdown against Phil Baroni (Pictures), Rua was a week away from facing Joey Villasenor (Pictures) for the vacant EliteXC 185-pound crown. A replacement for "Ninja" will be announced "very soon," said EliteXC's Gary Shaw, who is promoting in conjunction with Strikeforce.

SHITTY!!!!!!!!! i was really lookin forward to this fight.. the replacement better not be some can.

AMFG That was the biggest reason I wanted to see the card...I love Ninja. Damnit!
Believe-in-judo81
6/16/07 8:18:50PM
Solid breakdown man thanks, it looks to be a solid fight card.
pv3Hpv3p
6/18/07 11:45:30AM

Posted by Northrend

Posted by loller90278

AMFG That was the biggest reason I wanted to see the card...I love Ninja. Damnit!

Looks like Niko Vitale will be taking his spot... Pretty decent substitution on that short of notice... Anyone know why he didn't pass? Something wrong with him or was it roids or what?

source
Northrend
6/18/07 6:52:10PM
Niko isnt a bad sub I have to agree, but no Ninja =(
rednose909
6/19/07 12:17:28AM
Is this card going to be televised on Dish net. PPV? I was looking and can't find the event on the Dish site. Hopeful it will be on Showtime a week later. This card is way better that the Dynamite USA mess.
pv3Hpv3p
6/19/07 10:58:07AM

Posted by Northrend

Niko isnt a bad sub I have to agree, but no Ninja =(

Ya, I was kinda bummed when I heard Ninja was out too... I wonder what the problem was with the doctors or whatever??? I hope it wasn't some crazy brain tumor like with Hong...

I don't know how well Vitali will do on such short notice, too bad for him... He shoudl be able to get his shot fully trained and prepared, but I think it'll make a decent fight anyways
fatdevil1982
6/19/07 11:57:43AM
i think if niko has been training normaly than he could make a real tough fight, but i know niko has a normal job and has a hard time training full time, so he may not be top notch niko in this fight

i think senior has the upperhand, but i would never count niko out
CornishMMA
6/22/07 11:12:23PM
Watching it on my pc at 4am here in the UK, all good so far, CANNOT WAIT to see Baroni DESTROY Shamrock
jdubs
6/23/07 12:39:14AM
yeaaaaaaaa... SHAMROCK!!! Baroni just got f'd up
Northrend
6/23/07 12:44:25AM
That PPV was so damn good, way better then UFC 72 IMO.

Trapt1nw0nder
6/23/07 1:18:18AM
great PPV buy

******SPOILERS******

I dont know what was us with Carter Williams though...He should of had the way better stand-up advantage....he looked out of shape too...now he knows how it feels to get hit with an MMA glove instead of a boxing glove.Happy Buentello came out on top though

Cung Le vs Fryklund was disappointing to watch Fryklund not take Le down....Le was throwing like a million kicks....how hard is it for Fryklund to at least try to catch one of those kicks and take Le down,instead of just eating them all?

I knew Berto was gonna win,but i just wish it wouldnt of been that quick...i think that guy will be LW champ(if Nick Diaz fights back at WW of course)

Baroni/Shamrock was amazing war just wish it went a little longer..but i cant complain
Fanboy 1988
6/23/07 1:52:01AM
I was pulling for Shamrock in this fight, glad he won. But does this mean well never see Baroni in the UFC again?