STRIKEFORCE AND DREAM FORMALIZING "ALLIANCE"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » STRIKEFORCE AND DREAM FORMALIZING "ALLIANCE"
emfleek
8/5/09 8:28:17AM
Halfway around the globe, Dream is expected to announce an “alliance” with Strikeforce, the result of a longstanding relationship between Scott Coker and the Japanese promotion.

The Strikeforce CEO has maintained a good relationship with promoter Kazuyoshi Ishii from Dream parent company Fight Entertainment Group, whom he worked with for eight years as the U.S. promoter of K-1 kickboxing. The alliance formalizes that relationship.

STORY
Sir_Karl
8/5/09 12:22:47PM
Strikeforce+Dream+M1=Disaster.
Co promotions are not the way to go.
The only way it would work is if 1 of the companies bought the other 2.
It has to be one name...one identifiable name.
America, Japan and Russia...that is one hell of a MMA "pool" and audience.
If done right under one "umbrella"....it could be serious competition for the UFC.
We all know it will bust though.
slapshot
8/5/09 1:05:58PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Strikeforce+Dream+M1=Disaster.
Co promotions are not the way to go.
The only way it would work is if 1 of the companies bought the other 2.
It has to be one name...one identifiable name.
America, Japan and Russia...that is one hell of a MMA "pool" and audience.
If done right under one "umbrella"....it could be serious competition for the UFC.
We all know it will bust though.

Most american fans dont care about Japanese fighters and M1 brings LOL one fighter of value to the table. I still think its a great move and will help to expose more fighters to our market but even if it runs smooth as silk its not going to be competition for the UFC any time soon.

I think affliction proved once and for all to beat the UFC you have to build from the bottom up or you'll go bankrupt. I think this is along those lines and a good move by strikeforce. I still think the UFC will cherry pick fighters from this and in some ways its helpful to the UFC.

Anyway YAY to more competitive events by two promotions.
Nightmare27
8/6/09 2:30:12AM
It wont help in the HW division but I would love to see some of the LW matchups this could provide. Have always wanted to see JZ fight in America.