Anybody else think this about the Strikeforce deal with UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anybody else think this about the Strikeforce deal with UFC?
POLL: How do you feel about this deal?
Dana made a good decision 30% (7)
Dana made a bad decision 0% (0)
Have them run 1 big orginization 26% (6)
Sign Big Ticket SF fighters when available 17% (4)
Co Promote their names as in Fighters can fight in both SF and UFC freely 22% (5)
Dont really care. 4% (1)
TS92turbo
3/12/11 5:33:39PM
I think this deal is a load of crap. Until they start to co promote and have all fighters under one name, or at least some of the big names EG ; Fedor, Hendo, and Diaz. I think this deal is really only for the money. I think UFC should sign some fighters when their contract is up, and let SF pay its dues in the MMA world. This is a really confusing deal for me. I really dont understand what Dana was thinking going into this deal.

My opinion, have fighters come and go through both organizations but only if the fighters want to. For Instance, Nick Diaz fights Paul Daley for his SF Title. As long as he is still under contract with SF (and because SF is owned by the UFC), Diaz should be able to come to the UFC and fight for the UFC while still being under contract that is owned by the UFC. If Diaz wants to come have a fight or 2 in the UFC, he should be able to. Its really hard to explain, but as long as Joe Silva and Dana White want fighters with SF contracts to come over, I think thats a good idea. This is a very confusing deal Dana made today. And I think it will be MMA's news of 2011. Dana did say that they will be running business as usual, meaning SF is SF and UFC is UFC. I hope to see the day of Co Promoting, as I exampled Nick Diaz.

Very weird start to the year 2011 of MMA
SpiderSilva
3/12/11 5:41:56PM
look at it the same way as the WEC 155 guys they were fighting for the title in the last fight on the last card. imo its gonna be the same till they pull the plug on the strikeforce name
VILLIN
3/12/11 5:43:59PM
It's not really co-promotion considering they are both under the same parent company. I guarantee there will be crossover simply because it is good business to do so. Right now there is only so many top fighters a company can support per division and fortunately the divisions that are over stacked in the UFC are under developed in SF. Expect alot of mid tier UFC guys to start showing up on SF cards almost immediately.
UFC_Fanatic313
3/12/11 5:49:38PM
Does this mean that UFC and Strikforce events won't be airing on Showtime anymore? Cuz i didn't really understand what he said about showtime.
TS92turbo
3/12/11 5:57:16PM
SF has a contract with Showtime. Its for around 2 more years. Unless Showtime drops SF, then SF is still on Showtime. As for UFC, UFC will remain on Spike, PPV, Versus, and Facebook. Rumor has it that Dana is trying to get UFC on HBO. But I think its good as is now.
postman
3/12/11 6:58:19PM
I wonder what it means for womans mma down the road.
UFC_Fanatic313
3/12/11 7:03:09PM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic313

Does this mean that UFC and Strikforce events won't be airing on Showtime anymore? Cuz i didn't really understand what he said about showtime.

UFC events also air on showtime and they air for free and they do like 20 re-runs hopefully it stays like that.
ncordless
3/12/11 7:05:49PM

Posted by postman

I wonder what it means for womans mma down the road.

Hopefully the same thing it's meant for sub-155lb. when Zuffa bought WEC. It gets built up and then when it is ready brought under the UFC banner.
Kpro
3/12/11 8:01:30PM
I'ts not about what Dana does or doesn't want to do.

There are so many legalities involved it'd make any of our heads spin.

UFC contracts have some form of clause that won't allow their fighters to fight on a non-UFC event. Well assuming Strikeforce was smart, their exclusive contracts will have a clause that won't allow THEIR fighters to fight on a non-Strikeforce event.

In that case, if the contracts read that way, it doesn't even matter that Zuffa owns both.

As soon as Strikeforce contracts start running out, Dana can let on further what his plans are, but for now, we're all better off assuming that the contracts need to end and fighters re-signed with wording that allows them to go back and forth if that is even in the plans.
postman
3/12/11 8:02:09PM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic313

Posted by UFC_Fanatic313

UFC events also air on showtime and they air for free and they do like 20 re-runs hopefully it stays like that.

What are you talking about the UFC and Showtime have about the worst relationship. They don't air UFC events at all.

They are claiming it is business as usual. Right now all we know is there are two orgs the UFC and Strikeforce each will be run by the same people White and Coker. They will still be competing companys but in the end Zuffa ownes them. There are alot of contracts to be fulfiled and when they are done then we are sure to see moves. I see it to be the UFC minor leagues down the line.
UFC_Fanatic313
3/12/11 8:09:00PM

Posted by postman

Posted by UFC_Fanatic313

Posted by UFC_Fanatic313

What are you talking about the UFC and Showtime have about the worst relationship. They don't air UFC events at all.

They are claiming it is business as usual. Right now all we know is there are two orgs the UFC and Strikeforce each will be run by the same people White and Coker. They will still be competing companys but in the end Zuffa ownes them. There are alot of contracts to be fulfiled and when they are done then we are sure to see moves. I see it to be the UFC minor leagues down the line.

Calm down buddy im sorry i made a mistake i was talking about some other channel that you probably never heard of lol. Sorry for the mix up it was my fault. Btw the channel is called showsports 4 thats why i got confused and the company name is OSN showtime network that why i was confused anyway sorry.
postman
3/12/11 8:27:02PM
No worries I was just confused. Green beer has me typing harder then usual lol
pmoney
3/13/11 12:28:39AM

Posted by Kpro

UFC contracts have some form of clause that won't allow their fighters to fight on a non-UFC event. Well assuming Strikeforce was smart, their exclusive contracts will have a clause that won't allow THEIR fighters to fight on a non-Strikeforce event.

In that case, if the contracts read that way, it doesn't even matter that Zuffa owns both.

I doubt the Strikeforce contracts will be an issue. As SF has been ran so far, it seems they allow most of their fighters to fight under different promotions, see Paul Daley at BAMMA 5. They have had a lot of their fighters go to Dream and vice versa.

I don't think exclusivity is big for Strikeforce, and the freedom to fight in any promotion was probably a big drawing point for signing fighters. Look at Kharitonov who stated he wanted to get in multiple fights before the SF HW GP resumed.

Regardless, I find this transaction very interesting. Strikeforce could be the little brother of the UFC, where fighters go to build their name, and eventually move on to the UFC when they have established themselves.
prozacnation1978
3/13/11 8:59:09PM
I liked strikeforce. It was different. I am not a fan on monopoly's

But. I do think strikeforce should be new wec.
Have the better fighters in ufc.

But like they said slowly they will come.
But people like mayhem and hendo soon. Anyone done with contract. Then goes to ufc