Strikeforce Champion's Clause an Issue in Fedor Talks

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce Champion's Clause an Issue in Fedor Talks
emfleek
7/7/10 11:35:53AM
Despite M-1 Global's claims that there's nothing left to negotiate before the third and final fight on Fedor Emelianenko's contract with Strikeforce, Strikeforce says at least one issue does need to be negotiated: A champion's clause in the contract that would prevent Fedor from leaving to fight in another promotion if he becomes the Strikeforce champion.

M-1 Global says it wants Fedor's next fight to be a rematch with Fabricio Werdum, who beat Fedor on June 26. But Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has said that his preferred option for Fedor's next fight is a bout with Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem, and Strikeforce spokesman Mike Afromowitz told MMAFighting.com that a champion's clause is going to be negotiated.

LINK
bjj1605
7/7/10 12:12:55PM
Wow.... that explains why Coker would want him to fight Overeem. This is straight BS though. I understand why he would want to keep Fedor, but it's at the cost of the legitimacy of his promotion.

Werdum earned the shot and it would be ridiculous to have another guy fighting for the title coming off of a loss, even if it's Fedor.

If I were Coker I wouldn't be too concerned about Fedor jumping ship any way. He doesn't have the best track record with the UFC and the contract they offer him now that he's lost won't be nearly as good as the one they offered him before (which he turned down.)
jjeans
7/7/10 1:11:34PM
Complete BS

But i have to admit your right, and actually i dont wanna see Fedor fight some real UFC competition not Carwin, Lesnar or JDS i wanna see him fight Matt Mitrione, i wanna see him fight Seth Putzerreli, i dont know why but i'd rather see him beat a whole bunch of half known cans than fight and risk lossing to another big name

If i was fedor now, i'd rematch Wedrum, see if Dana will let me climb the ranks in the UFC, i know Dana doesnt want him, but he will if he doesnt want top tier competition. Wedrum, Mitrione, Rothwell, Maybe Cro Cop then big name draws
jlock003
7/7/10 2:46:48PM
When Coker first said that he might make the Redor/Overeem fight I posted that it was a strategic move to lock him into another 3-5 fights. I honestly feel like it's probably in Fedor's best interest to sign it anyway especially if SF is going to pay decent. Dana and company won't pay him as hansomley as they had previously offered.
Hooligan
7/7/10 3:00:13PM
I believe that Fedor wants to go back to Japan & fight his normal 1 to 2xs a year. The Japanese love him & show him the respect he's earned inside & outside of the ring. In America he doesn't get the same respect. And I'm mostly talking about name calling. He doesn't call people names. Why not go where you're wanted & appreciated?
marcoDGK
7/7/10 7:24:29PM

Posted by emfleek

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has said that his preferred option for Fedor's next fight is a bout with Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem

HAHA! I like how emfleek made a joke about losing making you the #1 contender at strikeforce because of Brett Rogers and then Coker says this.

classic!
mshalosky
7/8/10 12:42:51AM
Wait, Strikeforce has a Champion's Clause