Strikeforce champ Ronda Rousey wants 'Cyborg' next, but adamant she drop to 135

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce champ Ronda Rousey wants 'Cyborg' next, but adamant she drop to 135
MMAcca
8/19/12 9:33:51AM
Rousey (6-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) on Saturday defended her Strikeforce women's bantamweight title, and again did it with ease, getting former champ Sarah Kaufman (15-2 MMA, 6-2 SF) to tap to her signature armbar less than a minute into the first round in San Diego.

Rousey had been in a relatively new war of words with Santos even before the Kaufman fight. And now that she has cleared her latest hurdle, Rousey wasted no time setting her sights on the Brazilian.

The first problem is that Santos (10-1 MMA, 4-0 SF), the former Strikeforce featherweight titleholder, currently is suspended after testing positive for steroids following a 16-second win over Hiroko Yamanaka this past December. (The fight was overturned to a no contest.) The yearlong shutdown means a potential Rousey-Santos fight is at least four months away, provided Santos gets re-licensed with no delays.

LINK
airkerma
8/19/12 10:59:00AM
I really hope Cyborg takes her up on this and tries to drop that weight. Nothing would help womens mma more than somewhat of a superfight.
Svartorm
8/19/12 11:31:37AM
Cyborg struggles to make 145lbs, so theres no way this happens.
tcunningham
8/19/12 1:35:57PM
cyborg could make the weight. she would have to just lose some muscle. she did have problems making 145, but she is by far the most muscle bound female fighter..........weird huh?
tallica62
8/19/12 2:20:24PM
you come to the champ, the champ doesn't come to you
Svartorm
8/19/12 2:39:03PM

Posted by tcunningham

cyborg could make the weight. she would have to just lose some muscle. she did have problems making 145, but she is by far the most muscle bound female fighter..........weird huh?

It doesn't matter if she lost muscle, she's tall with a huge frame. She's the same height as Dominick Cruz and a bit wider, so making 135lbs isn't reasonable. Even if she could sweat it out, she'd be useless in the actual fight, and no one wants to see a completely dehydrated Cyborg fight. Super fight makes the most sense, and considering female MMA is so thinly spread, I'm sure we'll see it at 145lb soon.
Lungsofsteel
8/19/12 4:28:42PM
I want Ronda to face Sara McMann next. Olympian vs Olympian
Bubbles
8/19/12 4:43:38PM

Posted by Lungsofsteel

I want Ronda to face Sara McMann next. Olympian vs Olympian

Saori Yoshida has 3 straight Olympic golds
Lungsofsteel
8/19/12 5:00:49PM
Too bad she doesnt do mma. Sara McMann would be a good fight though 6-0 vs 6-0. Look at all their accolades, it would be awesome match up.