Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz signs multi-year contract extension

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz signs multi-year contract extension
FastKnockout
12/28/10 5:03:41PM
Strikeforce welterweight champion and potential free agent Nick Diaz (23-7 MMA, 4-0 SF) will not test the open market.

Strikeforce officials today announced that the popular and sometimes controversial Diaz has signed a new multi-year agreement with Strikeforce.

"I'm looking forward to continuing my career with Strikeforce," Diaz stated in today's release.

Exact terms of the new contract were not revealed.

Diaz debuted for Strikeforce in the main event of the April 2009 event "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz." Diaz earned a second-round TKO over Shamrock, and the California native hasn't looked back since.

Diaz has ripped through Strikeforce's welterweight division with one-sided wins over K.J. Noons and Scott Smith, and he's also handled a Lithuanian import in Marius Zaromskis, as well as a trip to Japan to face Hayato "Mach" Sakurai.

LINK
PABLOMAFIOSO
12/28/10 6:30:51PM
So Diaz has backed out of fighting Mayhem and now ruined any chance of fighting GSP?
I like Nick Diaz but think this is pretty BS as he was bitching (not that long ago) about how there is nobody left to fight in Strikeforce. The only decent matchup left for him is against Daley.
SmileR
12/28/10 6:41:38PM

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

So Diaz has backed out of fighting Mayhem and now ruined any chance of fighting GSP?
I like Nick Diaz but think this is pretty BS as he was bitching (not that long ago) about how there is nobody left to fight in Strikeforce. The only decent matchup left for him is against Daley.

It might be all about the money. He's with out doubt Strikeforce's most marketable guy, so they could have thrown lots of cash at him.
But it could also be him liking being a big fish in a small pond.

I'm going with the second.
Pookie
12/28/10 7:08:52PM
I doubt he makes it to a match with GSP, even if he signed with the UFC. He's going to have a tough tough time winning 3 rounders against many of the top contenders in the division.

But i agree with SmileR - Hes more valuable to Strikeforce than he is to UFC, so consequently he gets paid more by Strikeforce than he would in the ufc.
deck15
12/28/10 9:21:34PM
Strikeforce may not be around long term with the way they let big name fighters go so long without a fight. He's smart to take the money while he can. Dana has said over and over he can't bring him back.
Makaveli158
12/29/10 3:53:58AM
Well there are many factors that could have lead to his decision to sign a multi-year extension with Strikeforce, but when it comes down to it the motivation in most cases is money related. At this point, He will simply be getting paid more at Strikeforce being one of their top fighters, while at UFC he will be another fish in the pond.

But lets look at some other things. Diaz is a welterweight, his brother Nate just bumped up to WW in the UFC and is doing quite well and his training partner Jake Shields just signed to the UFC at welterweight. Shields is also next in line to fight GSP. I'm not saying Shields will beat GSP but I'm sure the posibilty of having his teammate as WW champ would help shy Nick away from going to the UFC at this time.

Which brings up another point, It's not up to Nick to sign with the UFC its up to Dana White. Dana has been a bit iffy when it comes to Nick, at time he says he doesn't want Diaz in the UFC, at other times he says that Nick has to "play the game". Ultimately, I think Dana wants to get him back in the UFC, he is a superb fighter who is arguably in top 10 WW and he has a style that you just gotta love; Punches in bunches on the feet and dangerous jitsu on the ground. And obviously, if you are an MMA fighter you wanna make it to the UFC. Nick is till verrrry young at age 26 and probably isn't even in his prime yet. We've already seen an effort at attitude change from Nick lately and I think he wants to take more time to prove himself too. As much as I wanna see Diaz in the UFC, I can see where Nick would want to wait a few more years (when this contract is up).

Which brings me to another point; Strikeforce. Strikeforce is undeniably the second biggest MMA promotion in the US now. However, its future is not guaranteed. Questionable matchmaking, championship holders that fight maybe once a year, and the dominance of the UFC can all aid in the downfall of Strikeforce. Remember Affliction? Elite XC? Strikeforce could be gone tomorrow. If Nick has the opportunity to get paid and have a possibilty of getting out of his contract early, why not take it. I'm not saying that Strikeforce is any real danger currently, but if its possible your ship may sink - Why not take a couple fights, take a couple wins, take a couple paychecks, all while growing your experience and record as a fighter, build your stock and face value?.....and if your ship does sink then off to the UFC you go

Leading to my final point; Say Strikeforce does fine. Over time they will just pick up more and more stragglers from the UFC. For example, they just added Paul Daley to their WW roster. If Nick can't go to the UFC to get competition, competition will surely come to him. I think Diaz wants to be in the UFC..... maybe for now Strikeforce is just the better option