Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz says Georges St-Pierre just fine for his next opponent

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz says Georges St-Pierre just fine for his next opponent
emfleek
2/1/10 9:49:32AM
For as much praise as new Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz (21-7 MMA, 3-0 SF) receives for his grappling prowess, it's his voluminous striking attack that has led to his most recent surge in popularity.

Never was that more evident than in this past Saturday's "Strikeforce: Miami" main event, where Diaz defeated DREAM champ and vaunted striker Marius Zaromskis at his own game.

Now the question for Diaz becomes, "What's next?" And the scrappy Californian isn't afraid to ask for the best.

"I want to fight Georges St-Pierre," Diaz said. "That's the one fight I'm talking about."

LINK
george112
2/1/10 10:21:39AM
there is no way i see diaz winning a fight against GSP.

At the same time i dont think GSP would finish diaz.i think GSP would just take diaz down at will and control the position for the UD.

i just dont think hes strong enough to hang with the top WW in the UFC. maybe the WWs ranked at about 6 or 7. IMO thats his level right now
Lord_Lenny
2/1/10 1:25:08PM
yeah, i really like nick but i cant see him hanging with strong wrestlers like fitch and kos, let alone GSP. He'd be alot like nate only at WW. A top 10ish guy but also a top 5 gate keeper
higdon10
2/1/10 2:02:25PM
If anyone has what it takes to beat St Pierre it could be Diaz.
Jackelope
2/1/10 3:03:43PM
So annoying. It's not going to happen Nick. You made your bed as far as the UFC is concerned a long time ago. Why don't you focus on building up Strikeforce instead?

Honestly I know he's done well with his striking, and I'm happy for him that he's found success, but he's delusional if he thinks the fights he's taking now in Strikeforce are even half the caliber of fights he would have to go through in order to deserve a shot at GSP. His opponents seem to have no game plans other than to stand and bang. Am I the only person here who remembers what a dominant wrestler with some sub D can do to Nick Diaz? I'd like to see him fight someone who will actually take him down and test that.
seanfu
2/1/10 3:17:47PM
Sean Sherk UDd him if I remember right, and now Sherk wouldn't beat any of the guys in the top 10 WW probably.
telnights
2/1/10 3:21:43PM

Posted by higdon10

If anyone has what it takes to beat St Pierre it could be Diaz.

How? Don't get me wrong Diaz is a good fighter but when was the last time he beat a strong wrestler with good BJJ. He hasn't fought or beat anyone in the top ten since Gomi who appeared out of shape and that fight wasn't even at WW which has the most high level wrestlers in it than any weight class. He has gotten better but till he faces a good wrestler with BJJ defense it seams like a moot point. So talking about taking on one of the best P4P fighters in the world and most likely the best wrestler in MMA seams more to just draw attention to himself and Strikeforce. Add to that the fact he is in StrikeForce and GSP is in the UFC makes it even more clear its just a publicity stunt. Now there isn't anything wrong with trying to get publicity but when people start talking like he has a better chance than most of the true top 10 guys seams crazy. Diaz hasn't shown me anything that says that he has fixed the wrestling hole in his game. Its also easy to shine when your a pitbull in a cage full of poodles.

Posted by Jackelope

So annoying. It's not going to happen Nick. You made your bed as far as the UFC is concerned a long time ago. Why don't you focus on building up Strikeforce instead?

Honestly I know he's done well with his striking, and I'm happy for him that he's found success, but he's delusional if he thinks the fights he's taking now in Strikeforce are even half the caliber of fights he would have to go through in order to deserve a shot at GSP. His opponents seem to have no game plans other than to stand and bang. Am I the only person here who remembers what a dominant wrestler with some sub D can do to Nick Diaz? I'd like to see him fight someone who will actually take him down and test that.

I with you...
IowaWrestling
2/1/10 3:34:26PM
I think Diaz would have a problem with very technical strikers. Somebody compact with short straight punches. Takedowns were horrible this weekend, Whitemare has no wrestling background and stuffed all takedowns Diaz tried. So if he was in a fight were he was getting outstriked I dont see him being able to dictate the fight by taking it to the ground, very similar problem his brother had with Maynard. With that being said I love Diaz, probaly my favorite fighter in the game right now. I stick in old fight tapes of him whenever Im trying to convert somebody to the sport of MMA. In my opinion he won everyfight in the UFC except mabey the Diego Sanchez fight. I would love to see him fight the best of the best in the world. Honestly in my opinion he would have a more difficult time with somebody like Alves than GSP. Has a chance to strike with GSP and if it went to the ground Diaz is at home, Alves would pepper him and keep the fight standing wich could be fatal for Diaz. I wish he had Jake Shields type takedowns.
tcunningham
2/2/10 12:49:59AM
i really think that strikeforce does not have the caliber fighters like the ufc. they do have a few extremely good fighters like hendo but as an all around organization they lack the talant as of right now. not to say they wont in the future though. i really don t think diaz has a chance at GSP. diaz is a good fighter with good all around skill but GSP is the worlds best WW and has proved it through the dominance of the other top contenders.
slapshot
4/10/10 6:59:09PM

Posted by Jackelope

Where did you get your info? Nick left the UFC not the other way around and the last time dana was asked about him he POINT BLANK said he has no issues with Nick would love to sign him but Nick shows no interest in the UFC.

Im not sold on how hard of a road he would have to get a shot at GSP either, higher caliber of fighters absolutely and few fighters might give him a hard time or might even get a win but most of them would get sub'd or KO'd. He's absolutely top ten in the world right now so it would only take one big win to get the shot IMO.

And after Silvia fights GSP then who's left? I think Nate is prob one of the toughest match ups for GSP with his striking and his sub game. I dont think he would win but he very well could.

Point blank if you want to see Nick tested I think the only place you can do that is the UFC. I really really hope he signs but I dont think he will.
NatedawgThaM
4/10/10 9:48:03PM
I actually dont think it would be such a bad idea. Like it's a win-win for the UFC. GSP stomps him and it makes the UFC look 10x ahead of strikeforce. But I know the UFC wouldn't do it. But if would keep him busy for the next legit contender to arise too.
Jackelope
4/11/10 2:47:13AM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by Jackelope

Where did you get your info? Nick left the UFC not the other way around and the last time dana was asked about him he POINT BLANK said he has no issues with Nick would love to sign him but Nick shows no interest in the UFC.

Im not sold on how hard of a road he would have to get a shot at GSP either, higher caliber of fighters absolutely and few fighters might give him a hard time or might even get a win but most of them would get sub'd or KO'd. He's absolutely top ten in the world right now so it would only take one big win to get the shot IMO.

And after Silvia fights GSP then who's left? I think Nate is prob one of the toughest match ups for GSP with his striking and his sub game. I dont think he would win but he very well could.

Point blank if you want to see Nick tested I think the only place you can do that is the UFC. I really really hope he signs but I dont think he will.

Not sure why you went back in the past and dug this thread up, but-

Dominant wrestlers with good sub D have always been Nick Diaz's (and his brother Nate Diaz for that matter) achilles heel. That sounds exactly like GSP and the division's consensus #2 Jon Fitch to me. So I'm not sure how all the Nick Diaz fans think he's going to make any kind of run at the title in the UFC.

As far as the UFC and Nick Diaz goes- I hadn't heard that quote from Dana. Can you provide a link to it? Not saying it's outside of the realm of possibilities but I've just never seen anything like that from Dana in regards to Nick Diaz.