Strikeforce champ Melendez wants next crack at UFC 136's main-event winner

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce champ Melendez wants next crack at UFC 136's main-event winner
Budgellism
10/8/11 4:12:48PM
Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez (19-2 MMA, 8-1 SF) attended this weekend's UFC Fan Expo Houston 2011 representing his longtime employer, but he hopes to leave the city with a different tag: UFC title challenger.

Melendez today said he plans on pressing UFC president Dana White for the next crack at the winner of UFC 136's lightweight championship bout.

"I'm a vet in this sport," Melendez told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I've been here for a long, long time, and I'm ready to prove I'm No. 1.

"I'm ready to start taking over and holding down the weightclass, promoting the sport and representing MMA. I've been ready for that awhile."

Melendez's resume makes a strong case. Currently riding a five-fight win streak with impressive wins over Tatsuya Kawajiri, Shinya Aoki, Josh Thomson, Mitsuhiro Ishida and Rodrogo Damm, "El Nino" is generally considered one of the very few lightweights not currently in the UFC capable of competing at the top of the promotion's 155-pound division.

For years, Melendez was tied down to his longtime employers at Strikeforce, and the UFC's position against cross-promoting prevented him from facing top UFC contenders. But with those two companies now operating under the same umbrella, Melendez is ready to prove he's capable of beating either current UFC champ Frankie Edgar or his opponent at Saturday night's UFC 136 event at Houston's Toyota Center, Gray Maynard.

LINK
DrivenDavies15
10/8/11 4:37:58PM
I don't think he should get the next shot honestly. Guida v Henderson winner deserves it much more since they each beat #1 contenders at the time. Should Guillard win tonight Melendez v Guillard makes much more sense
Bubbles
10/8/11 4:51:56PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

I don't think he should get the next shot honestly. Guida v Henderson winner deserves it much more since they each beat #1 contenders at the time. Should Guillard win tonight Melendez v Guillard makes much more sense

or Guillard vs Bendo and Guida vs Melendez II. ill be happy either way
armbar66j7
10/9/11 1:16:55AM
pettis/maynard

edgar/melendez

Chael_Sonnen
10/9/11 1:42:30AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Guida beats him in the rematch.
armbar66j7
10/9/11 11:02:20AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by DrivenDavies15

i disagree, melendez is too technical on his feet, and guidas pace isnt gonna really affect him i dont think, i think it wqould be a close fight yeah, but im sorry, i havnt seen enkough to jump on the clay guida band wagon...his wins are the product of extremly hard work and a lot of heart, melendez has pure skill on top of that
Pookie
10/9/11 3:14:19PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Guida maybe wins a round in the rematch, but doubtful.