Strikeforce CEO on Showtime renewal: 'I'm optimistic at this point'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce CEO on Showtime renewal: 'I'm optimistic at this point'
BuffaloDave
12/6/11 3:06:40PM
Despite persistent rumors, Strikeforce hasn't completed a broadcast deal to remain on Showtime.

But Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker today hinted at some progress with the premium-cable channel and suggested an announcement could be coming.

"That's something we'll just have to wait and see," Coker said. "But I think things are going well, and I think we'll have something to announce soon."

Coker today made the commitments as part of a medial call ahead of a Dec. 17 "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal" event in San Diego. It's Strikeforce's final event of 2011, and a Jan. 7 event is slated to kick off 2012 in Las Vegas. However, the current two-year Strikeforce-Showtime deal expires in February, so barring a renewal, they could be the final ones on Showtime.

LINK
tcunningham
12/6/11 5:40:37PM
i get the feeling that SF is getting closer to the grave, as soon as they stop making money for zuffa, the guillotine will drop.
DeadHead988
12/6/11 8:45:31PM
I hope they axe strikeforce asap so they can put all the good strikeforce guys into the ufc and feed all the below average ones into the local promotions. UFC gets more high-level fighters, and smaller promotions benefit as well. Very nice!
FlashyG
12/6/11 10:16:25PM
I'd be happy with that too deadhead but I think its going to stick around as a feeder league for the UFC.

Viacom putting their money into Bellator and Spike airing their events for free makes them a legitimate contender to the UFC's business and they wouldn't want to risk any of their talent moving over to them.

This is especially true with the women as its highly unlikely the UFC will create a womens division until enough talent is there.

I think in the near future there will be quite a few UFC fighters that are just barely hanging around getting sent to Strikeforce to bolster their roster, while the top talent in Strikeforce will move the other way.