Strikeforce boss confirms signings of Sergei Kharitonov and Valentijn Overeem

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Strikeforce boss confirms signings of Sergei Kharitonov and Valentijn Overeem
emfleek
6/17/10 10:25:20AM
LOS ANGELES – Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has confirmed the promotion's acquisition of two former PRIDE heavyweights: Sergei Kharitonov (16-4 MMA, 0-0 SF) and Valentijn Overeem (28-25 MMA, 0-0 SF).

Overeem, 33, is the older brother of current Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem, and Kharitonov is a former sparring partner of top-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko.

LINK
DosBox
6/17/10 11:18:19AM
Is this really a good thing?

I like these Strikeforce signings as much as anyone, but Strikeforce have problems with getting any fighter card space.

Lyle Beerbohm took about a year in between Strikeforce fights, and he is one of their best prospects.

Babalu was around 10 months in between fights, Vitor Ribero was signed, and it took him about 1 year before he finally debuted.
Joey Villasenor last fought over 1 year ago, same with Jacare, etc..

And now they appear to be signing quite a few people, Gesias Calvancante (and for whatever reason strikeforce signed him for a 1 year 4 fight deal, as if hed even get 2 fights in), Sergei, Valentijn, etc..

I know people like the signings, but if they wont be getting fights.. it shouldnt matter.

They have trouble giving their talented fighters fights, and they recently started signing more fighters... what should that tell you?

I dont know to what extent their contract is, but im sure some have non-exclusive contracts, but even then non-exclusive contracts dont necessarily mean that, it is still somewhat restrictive.

I dont know, thats just how I feel about the situation.

tepid55
6/17/10 1:23:22PM
I think Kharitonov will crush Alistair Overeem when they fight.
noahgenda
6/17/10 1:44:43PM

Posted by DosBox

I like these Strikeforce signings as much as anyone, but Strikeforce have problems with getting any fighter card space.

Lyle Beerbohm took about a year in between Strikeforce fights, and he is one of their best prospects.

Babalu was around 10 months in between fights, Vitor Ribero was signed, and it took him about 1 year before he finally debuted.

And now they appear to be signing quite a few people, Gesias Calvancante (and for whatever reason strikeforce signed him for a 1 year 4 fight deal, as if hed even get 2 fights in), Sergei, Valentijn, etc..

I know people like the signings, but if they wont be getting fights.. it shouldnt matter.

They have trouble giving their talented fighters fights, and they recently started signing more fighters... what should that tell you?

I dont know to what extent their contract is, but im sure some have non-exclusive contracts, but even then non-exclusive contracts dont necessarily mean that, it is still somewhat restrictive.

you have to sign more people if youre going to have more fights. theyre trying to fix the problem
prozacnation1978
6/17/10 3:40:43PM
Good pick ups but they need to focus on light heavyweights
seanfu
6/17/10 4:54:34PM

Posted by noahgenda

Posted by DosBox

you have to sign more people if youre going to have more fights. theyre trying to fix the problem

He just said it was a card space issue. Explain how more fighters equal more cardspace.....
lohmann
6/17/10 5:57:17PM

Posted by tepid55

I think Kharitonov will crush Alistair Overeem when they fight.

I would take this as an av bet, but I don't think Sergei gets far enough in the SF ranks to fight Overeem again.
BustedKnuckle
6/17/10 7:00:16PM
I like these signings for sure. Actually would like to see them fight each other!
cmill21
6/17/10 7:18:52PM
Hopefully Kharitonov will get back to his old self, if not he'll get his eyes pumped shut.
theruler_
6/17/10 7:22:03PM
kharitonov is a good buy. not really sure of the value in getting valentijn at this point.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/17/10 8:17:38PM
It looks like SF is going the way of EliteXC....they should really develop what they have before signing more people.