Strikeforce announcing is quite terrible..

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Strikeforce announcing is quite terrible..
Patchedup15
7/31/11 12:37:43AM
As i sit here watching my 3rd ever Strikeforce event I have to say.. the announcing is an inconsequential as the fights themselves are. Neither man takes on the role of a decent color commentator, and neither provides anything near an accurate play by play. As a viewer this is what i want to hear, if anything. Unless commentators are going to tell me whats going on and some related stats, and provide some hype.. they shouldn't be there.

At one point someone even went so far as to say that Fedor and Hendo were very similiar fighters.. in what way?? certainly not fighting styles (as was implied by the context, the announcer said that both men used grappling as their bread an butter.. BS!) I count 12 times they have said "Dan Hendo Henderson" What are nicknames for if not to shorten the name?? just say Hendo, Dan, Henderson.. anything other than the whole thing.. seriously.. Zuffa lets get on this
Budgellism
7/31/11 12:47:51AM

Posted by Patchedup15

As i sit here watching my 3rd ever Strikeforce event I have to say.. the announcing is an inconsequential as the fights themselves are. Neither man takes on the role of a decent color commentator, and neither provides anything near an accurate play by play. As a viewer this is what i want to hear, if anything. Unless commentators are going to tell me whats going on and some related stats, and provide some hype.. they shouldn't be there.

At one point someone even went so far as to say that Fedor and Hendo were very similiar fighters.. in what way?? certainly not fighting styles (as was implied by the context, the announcer said that both men used grappling as their bread an butter.. BS!) I count 12 times they have said "Dan Hendo Henderson" What are nicknames for if not to shorten the name?? just say Hendo, Dan, Henderson.. anything other than the whole thing.. seriously.. Zuffa lets get on this

I'll agree with that. The announcing is awful in Strikeforce and I've said it many times and I'll say it again. Mauro and Gus Johnson are the two worst announcers in mma and strikeforce happens to have them both sitting beside each other spewing crap out of their mouths repeatedly. I can't even begin to tell you how much it bothers me when Mauro starts complaining about the amount of action in a fight. It dates back to Pride. He's been working along side the sport for years, you'd think he'd develop as an announcer, but he hasn't.

And Johnson is just awkward. He speaks like Shatner in Star Trek. Throwing in massive pause breaks randomly in the middle of sentences all the time. If you wrote down everything he said, the way he said it you'd think a four year old wrote it.
Patchedup15
7/31/11 2:07:38AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Patchedup15

I'll agree with that. The announcing is awful in Strikeforce and I've said it many times and I'll say it again. Mauro and Gus Johnson are the two worst announcers in mma and strikeforce happens to have them both sitting beside each other spewing crap out of their mouths repeatedly. I can't even begin to tell you how much it bothers me when Mauro starts complaining about the amount of action in a fight. It dates back to Pride. He's been working along side the sport for years, you'd think he'd develop as an announcer, but he hasn't.

And Johnson is just awkward. He speaks like Shatner in Star Trek. Throwing in massive pause breaks randomly in the middle of sentences all the time. If you wrote down everything he said, the way he said it you'd think a four year old wrote it.

Gus is a terrible announcer no matter the sport
Chael_Sonnen
7/31/11 4:15:30AM
Frank "Braces" Shamrock is getting worse with each broadcast....his comment on Robbie "winning the war" was hilarious in a disturbing way
Budgellism
7/31/11 4:32:20AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Frank "Braces" Shamrock is getting worse with each broadcast....his comment on Robbie "winning the war" was hilarious in a disturbing way

lol! So true. I had no idea where he was going with that.
bojangalz
7/31/11 11:20:08AM

Posted by Patchedup15

Zuffa lets get on this

They can't The commentators are not employed by Strikeforce/Zuffa. They are employed by Showtime Sports. You don't seriously think that Dana would allow for Franky Shams to be a part of anything Zuffa related if he had any say in it do you? They'll be there for as long as Strikeforce is under contract with Showtime.
Twenty20Dollars
7/31/11 1:11:57PM
I usually have the volume on mute or low or like parts of last night watching the event on fast forward b/c I was recording it.

There was one point where I was watching the Smith fight. And Gus asks Frank, something like why did Smith decide to go to 170?

Frank says, "I have no idea." Gus says, "Okay."

It was hilarious.

I wouldn't mind seeing SF fold just so I wouldn't have to hear any of these guys again.
Budgellism
7/31/11 5:55:19PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I usually have the volume on mute or low or like parts of last night watching the event on fast forward b/c I was recording it.

There was one point where I was watching the Smith fight. And Gus asks Frank, something like why did Smith decide to go to 170?

Frank says, "I have no idea." Gus says, "Okay."

It was hilarious.

I wouldn't mind seeing SF fold just so I wouldn't have to hear any of these guys again.

Lol, yeah. The awkward pause.
emfleek
8/1/11 1:32:56PM
I about vomited when Gus Johnson referred to Fedor/Hendo as "one of the best 1st rounds in MMA history!"

Give. Me. A. Break.
prophecy033
8/4/11 12:32:32PM
I used to hate listening to pride as soon as trigg became part of the broadcast team. He would name drop 30 guys before the first fight. Bas was WAY better, at least he made it funny