Strikeforce GP

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Strikeforce GP
prophecy033
9/11/11 2:04:05PM
The Good
Cormier- This guy has bricks for fists. He made Silva look slow. Every punch he threw wobbles Silva to the point that I felt sorry for him. I thought Silva would use his 11 inch reach to keep Cormier on the outside but that didn't happen. Cormier is gonna be a force in the Heavyweight division for a long time.

Barnett- Josh did what I figured he would do and took the fight to the ground. I figured Sergei would make it more of a fight but Barnett smothered him and got the Submission. I've always looked at Barnett as a top 10 heavyweight, he's got some of the best submissions in the division.

Rockhold- This guy blew me away with his takedown defense. I had Jacare winning by 2nd round sub. Boy was I wrong. Rockhold used his kicks perfect, good combos, and his cardio was great considering he was off for 19 months. Jacare looked beat after the 3rd round and I knew from that point on he would have to win with a knockout. It never happened and Rockhold won the Strikeforce Middleweight Strap. Congrats

Healy- To be honest, I didn't even notice the kicks were illegal until the ref stopped it and took the point away from Blanco. I watch a lot of pride so it looked normal. But Healy kept trapping Blancos arm so he couldn't defend the Rear Naked. It eventually worked as he got it. I have to say, that was a crazy position for the choke. If Blanco had rolled into Healy instead of away, he might have gotten out. But things being what they are, Healy got the choke and the win. To Blanco's credit, it was his first fight in a cage, and we all know you need time to adjust. Good win for the Oregon Boy

Lawal- I'm never happy when a fighter decides to put his hands down, I see it as a sign of disrespect. But as soon as he landed that first blow to the ear of Gracie I knew the fight was over. A few follow up shots later, Lawal had his crown on and his hand raised. Good win over a previously undefeated fighter

The Bad
Silva- He never looked comfortable after that first punch that put him down. He never used his 11 inch reach but I'm not sure it would have mattered to be honest. It doesn't help that your noggin is the size of a basketball.

Jacare- He looked tired for the final 3 rounds and was throwing single punches. He was 4/9 on takedowns and with those takedowns he did nothing. Rockhold was the more active fighter and Jacare looked confused. Bad fight cost him the belt

Blanco- This guy had some hype going into the fight and looked good until the illegal kicks. He slowly faded over the course of the rest of the fight. Healy kept putting him in the crusifix position and eventually ended it with the rear naked. Hopefully Blanco learns from this and comes back with a chip on his shoulder

Gracie- Master of Submission never got it to the ground. His stand up needs work. He also had hype behind him coming in. To his credit, it looked like his and Lawal's heads collided right before the punch that put him down for good. All in all, bad showing by Gracie
Twenty20Dollars
9/11/11 2:23:09PM
I didn't think Daniel would be able to hit Silva so easy, I thought he'd be whiffing or just missing because of the height.

Daniel vs Barney will be real good, can Barney get him down though?

Jacare just seemed to fade and couldn't put any combos together.

Also good to see Lawal(even though he's one of those types of guys I can't stand), Mike Kyle, and Fejiao get wins.

Hope they put Kennedy vs Rockhold now.
prophecy033
9/11/11 2:31:11PM
I didn't notice Rockhold was so damn tall. His length is gonna cause some guys fits
State_Champ
9/11/11 2:51:44PM
I am so excited to see Cormier vs Barnett!
FastKnockout
9/11/11 4:04:23PM
"Rockhold used his kicks perfect, good combos, and his cardio was great considering he was off for 19 months."

This is my issue with so called "ring rust." Which is really on losing cardio due to lack of training time. I mean, as long as they come back and have a decent amount of time with a solid training camp, then ring rust doesn't seem to matter, because with a decent amount of time they can bring their cardio back up. For example, Forrest Griffin against Rich Franklin. Everyone thought Griffin would lose due to "ring rust" but Griffin fought as if he didn't have any time off, and that's because he had a decent amount of time with his training camp to build himself back up.

The only time I think ring rust takes effect is when a fighter has been out for 2-3 years, or more.
FastKnockout
9/11/11 4:48:33PM
All I can say is thank the MMA Gods for Cormier, because I lost all interest in the GP after Fedor and Overeem was out.
prophecy033
9/11/11 7:01:17PM

Posted by FastKnockout

All I can say is thank the MMA Gods for Cormier, because I lost all interest in the GP after Fedor and Overeem was out.

Really? I mean I lost a little interest but I was still pumped for the Barnett v Kharitonov fight. I got a lot of DVD's of those guys
ghandikush
9/11/11 8:57:56PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by FastKnockout

Really? I mean I lost a little interest but I was still pumped for the Barnett v Kharitonov fight. I got a lot of DVD's of those guys

Theyre not exacty guy who are gonna rock the UFC HW division. Cormier seems to be a hope though.
prophecy033
9/11/11 9:40:07PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by FastKnockout

Theyre not exacty guy who are gonna rock the UFC HW division. Cormier seems to be a hope though.

Barnett would hold his own against the UFC heavyweights. He may never win the belt again but he is well rounded and experienced
mrsmiley
9/16/11 2:47:41PM

Posted by State_Champ

I am so excited to see Cormier vs Barnett!

I'm pumped for it too. I gonna go with Barnett but Cormier has proven to be no push over. Lots of factors to consider in that fight.
mrsmiley
9/16/11 2:51:59PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by FastKnockout

Barnett would hold his own against the UFC heavyweights. He may never win the belt again but he is well rounded and experienced

I think Barny would give anyone in the UFC HW division a good fight.
I can't really picture anyone deystroying him off the top of my head. Except Crocop................
armbar66j7
10/14/11 2:13:32AM

Posted by FastKnockout

"Rockhold used his kicks perfect, good combos, and his cardio was great considering he was off for 19 months."

This is my issue with so called "ring rust." Which is really on losing cardio due to lack of training time. I mean, as long as they come back and have a decent amount of time with a solid training camp, then ring rust doesn't seem to matter, because with a decent amount of time they can bring their cardio back up. For example, Forrest Griffin against Rich Franklin. Everyone thought Griffin would lose due to "ring rust" but Griffin fought as if he didn't have any time off, and that's because he had a decent amount of time with his training camp to build himself back up.

The only time I think ring rust takes effect is when a fighter has been out for 2-3 years, or more.

i think half the time the term ring rust is used as an excuse for a fighter performing poorly whch half of that time is the result of laziness during training camp. Your a professional athlete, you do your job, you get paid. You dont do your job, you get paid less, the least you can do is try to do your job, which means getting up earlier than your opponent and working harder than him for 2 months, thats what separates the dominick cruz's from the pat barry's
armbar66j7
10/14/11 2:23:16AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by FastKnockout

I think Barny would give anyone in the UFC HW division a good fight.
I can't really picture anyone deystroying him off the top of my head. Except Crocop................

Mirko "Cro Cop" Flilipovic's Relevance in MMA in 2011=