Strikeforce-6/27 in California

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Strikeforce-6/27 in California
DCRage
5/5/08 10:57:43AM
Strikeforce: June 27, 2008 in California
Venue: HP Pavillion, San Jose
Main card airs on HDNet
TV fights (starting at 10:30 PM ET):
vs.
Strikeforce Lightweight Champion Gilbert Melendez vs. Josh Thomson for the title

vs.
Nam Phan vs. Billy Evangelista

vs.
Bobby Southworth vs. Anthony Ruiz for the Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Title

vs.
Elaina Maxwell vs. Meisha (Miesha) Tate

vs.
Luke Stewart vs. TBA (Stewart's original opponent, Shonie Carter, is off as of 6/20 due to injury, the replacement-Joe Riggs-is off due to taking a banned substance; Riggs' replacement, Drew Fickett, is off because another promotion he's to fight for in July won't let him fight before then)

vs.
Jeremiah Metcalf vs. Raymond Daniels

vs.
Chris Cariaso vs. Anthony Figueroa

Prelims:
vs.
Bobby Stack vs. Jorge Palacios

vs.
Cyrillo Padhila vs. Jesse Jones

vs.
Alexander Trivino vs. Eric Jacob

vs.
Jesse Gillespie vs. Davis (Dave) Martin

vs.
Jorge Interiano vs. Travis Johnson

vs.
Alvin Cacdac vs Brian Caraway

Of note is that Southworth-Ruiz would be a rematch of their November fight, which Ruiz won by 2nd round TKO (stoppage-cut).
Dastardly1
5/6/08 10:05:33PM
i can't wait 2 see Gilbert and Josh go at it. Josh has wanted this fight for 2yrs. he's already posted 3 bulletins on Myspace hyping the fight.
BeerisGood
5/13/08 3:45:49PM
postive Nam phan is fighting?? its not on his site
DCRage
6/3/08 2:34:53PM
The show just got a bit more entertaining-Shonie Carter has arrived. He'll make his debut for the promotion on this card against Luke Stewart.
Franklinfan47
6/3/08 2:48:06PM
Looks like a pretty solid event
Khon_Nan
6/14/08 3:36:36PM
Oh ye, more vietnamese. Keep'em coming :P
DCRage
6/20/08 8:23:19AM
A late change to the card, Shonie Carter is now off due to injury (shattered knuckle). He says he could've still thought but was skeptical about the CSAC letting him. He was to have faced Luke Stewart. Joe "Diesel" Riggs is the replacement.
FlashyG
6/20/08 11:31:25AM
Does anyone know anything about any of the fighters making debuts in this event?

specifically, Davis Martin, Genaro Strangis and Raymond Daniels?

I found a few videos of Daniels sparring and competing in Tae Kwow Do but nothing on the other 2, Other than Strangis is a BJJ instructor for a Kickboxing school called Condition and Competition.

http://candckickboxing.com/instructors.htm

I dont want to make predictions based on nothing
DCRage
6/20/08 12:40:30PM
I looked them up on Sherdog (checking for profile pics for first post) and they're not even in their database, so I'm assuming these are their MMA debuts as well as debuts for Strikeforce. The fights aren't yet official, just rumored at this point.
Qorvus
6/23/08 2:35:40PM
Looking forward to this card for free on HDNet!
Kpro
6/23/08 4:11:57PM

Posted by FlashyG

Does anyone know anything about any of the fighters making debuts in this event?

specifically, Davis Martin

I couldn't find anything for him so I'm going to assume it's possibly the Dave Martin that Gillespie beat by UD on the Strikeforce card in February. That Dave Martin is 0-1 with the Gillespie fight being his only fight.
Kpro
6/23/08 4:17:50PM

Posted by FlashyG

specifically...... Raymond Daniels?

Here's a thread on Sherdog with multiple videos. After watching them I do remember him being in the World Combat League.

LINK
DCRage
6/23/08 4:22:46PM
WCL? THE WCL? Why do I sense Chuck Norris is going to be marking out over this? (He's the brains behind WCL, which comes off to me a lot like kickboxing)
CornishMMA
6/25/08 11:17:40AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by FlashyG

specifically, Davis Martin

I couldn't find anything for him so I'm going to assume it's possibly the Dave Martin that Gillespie beat by UD on the Strikeforce card in February. That Dave Martin is 0-1 with the Gillespie fight being his only fight.

Yep im pretty sure its the same guy so the mods need to link him up. Any reason for the rematch I wonder?

This kickboxer making his mma debut looks to be given a nice present, a guy with a losing record coming of KO losses, i know what to pick there thank you!
DCRage
6/27/08 5:11:18AM
Joe Riggs is now off. Disclosed that he took a banned substance. There was talk of Drew Fickett being brought in as a replacement but that hasn't been confirmed.
DCRage
6/27/08 6:57:42AM
BREAKING: Fickett was on as Riggs' replacement. Now he's off. Blame MFC, a Canadian-based promotion because they have a 45-day non-compete rule for their participants basically saying that if you are going to fight for them, you can't fight anywhere else starting 45 days before their (MFC) event or they can veto your participation. That's what they did here.
CornishMMA
6/27/08 7:17:30AM
the card has changed so much ffs!

PRELIMINARY CARD

Bobby Stack (155) vs. Jose Palacios (155)
Eric Jacob (156) vs. Alexander Trivino (156)
Jorge Interiano (201) vs. Travis Johnson (205)
Cyrillo Padhillo (169) vs. Jesse Jones (169)
Bryan Caraway (140) vs. Alvin Cacdac (141)
MAIN CARD

Jesse Gillespie (186) vs. Eric Lawson (185) -- HDNet swing bout
Billy Evangelista (155) vs. Nam Phan (154)
Chris Cariaso (135.5) vs. Anthony Figueroa (134.5)
Jeremiah Metcalf (185) vs. Raymond Daniels (184)
Champ Bobby Southworth (205) vs. Anthony Ruiz (203) -- world light heavyweight title fight
Miesha Tate (145) vs. Elaina Maxwell (146)
Drew Fickett (n/a) vs. Luke Stewart (n/a) -- Fickett late replacement for Joe Riggs
Champ Gilbert Melendez (155) vs. Josh Thomson (155) -- world lightweight title fight

So Gillespie is fighting someone else, as is Johnson, other prelim fights added as well, are picks going to be added i wonder??
DCRage
6/27/08 7:35:32AM
Not sure, it could be cutting it close given the pick deadline is 6:30 PM ET. So I guess it depends on if any mods see it before then and have time to make the changes (I already reported Fickett being off).
Franklinfan47
6/27/08 6:04:32PM
I noticed the mods havent added a couple of the fights to the secondary league event to be predicted. Is it because they've changed so much or am I missing something? e.g. Dave Martin vs Gillespie.
Ben_Hutch
6/28/08 12:43:39AM
Does anyone have any results for this?

And I had RIggs in my Paralay Wager, will i lose the money that i put on my paralay wager because he's no longer fighting?
Scott_Revels
6/28/08 2:23:10AM
Off the top of my head. Winners: Thomson, Evangelista, Southworth, Tate, Metcalf.. That's the big five... Thomson just destroyed Melendez. 50-45 UD for Thomson.