Strike Force Heavy Artillery : Afterthoughts and opinions

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Strike Force Heavy Artillery : Afterthoughts and opinions
mrsmiley
5/16/10 7:42:18AM
Here's a few of my own thoughts about last nights event and hopefully everyone will put their own two cents in.

1.Rafael Cavalcante vs Antwain Britt

Normaly I think the annouce team of Renallo and Shamrock is decent but I think last night they just kept calling the fights wrong. The whole time Cavalcante and Britt fought they called it as if Britt was just deystroying his opponent.
Which was far from the truth. Granted Britt was the aggresor and landing a few shots,he wasn't landing with as much authority as the dynamic duo of Mauro Renallo and Frank Shamrock would have you think. Rafael stayed cool headed and when he landed a shot it was always more signficant. I was suprised neither commentator caught on to this.

2. Gracie vs Randleman

The frustrating thing about watching Kevin Randleman fight is you can see that the guy "STILL" has the potential to be relevant. I think instead of looking for single body shots or single right hooks he should have attempted more combinations. Left body shots followed up with right hooks,vice versa,etc. Roger Gracie looked decent and showed that he has the ability to jump in and get his feet wet with even the most experinced of vetrans such as "The Monster",however I think the guy needs to drop down a notch in competition before he continues.
Granted I think Kevin hung in as long as he did soley and experince and his wrestling credentials,I think a lot of the top tier in the SF LHW division would give the young Gracie all he could handle. I think he's got potential but still needs work if he wants to restore the Gracie name back to its prestine state.

3. Jacare vs Villasenor

This is one of those fights that if it had been a 5 rounder the outcome probably would have been much different. Jacare,in my opinion undoubtley won the bout but the guy must have been somewhat happy the fight only had 3 rounds to it. I think if Villasenor had inflicted more damage he may had stolen round 2 but the revealing aspect to Souza's slow down was not as much from Villasenor's offense or defense as it was from Jacare's own offensive gameplay.

The guy just started to wear himself thin. Granted,had that fight been 5 round Jacare may have played the game much different..

4. AA vs Bigfoot

Arlovski showed a lot of heart and determenation in this fight but that doesn't change the fact he was purely outclassed in every aspect of the game. It seemed as if he still was lingering on his old bad habits and that's part of what cost him this fight. I think Shamrock was right in stating he should have worked the legs more and chopped Silva down.

5.Rogers vs Overeem

This bout was hard for me to make a pick on because you I figured it would go one of two ways:
1. Overeem keeps it standing too long and gets "clipped".
2. Overeem gets it to the ground and takes rogers.

I see option 2 is the one that played out. I'm also very impressed with how Overeem manhandled Brett much like he does his opponents in K1 during the clinch phase. I thought Rogers would be too big to be suseptable to a tactic like that but it looks like I was wrong.

All in all I thought the event was very good last night. If anything, this will make it harder for me to chose between Fedor and Overeem. Alistar looked much better against Rogers than did Fedor,yet Fedor has the ability to demoralize opponents by playing at their own game even if it causes him a few bumps and bruises along the way.
lohmann
5/16/10 7:52:35AM
The Strikeforce commentators were annoyingly distracting, especially in the Jacare/Villasenor fight, when they were trying to lead the audience into believing that Villasenor could arguably be winning the fight when he obviously wasn't. If there's one thing I dislike about MMA commentators, it's how they try to make a fight look even when it's not, and that was a particularly vicious example.

Defending Arlovski's chin, keys to victory, etc. Strikeforce really needs to rework their play-by-play guys.

Overeem's the real deal. I'd love to see him try to land some of those ugly kicks on Fedor.
sbulldavid
5/16/10 8:52:30AM
Overeem handled Rogers like nothing, Fedor put the fear in Rogers, I don't know that Rogers is going to recover from getting knocked out and then getting manhandled, he has potential but he needs to grow.
mrsmiley
5/16/10 9:34:09AM

Posted by sbulldavid

Overeem handled Rogers like nothing, Fedor put the fear in Rogers, I don't know that Rogers is going to recover from getting knocked out and then getting manhandled, he has potential but he needs to grow.

I think it also threw him for a loop being on his back with a big guy like Overeem looming over him. I'm guessing the next logical bout for him is against Bigfoot at this point seeing as he he already dismantled Arlovski.
Definently a tough posistion he has found himself in.
hate4thestate
5/16/10 10:38:38AM
Rafael Cavalcante vs Antwain Britt

Rafael looked good but Britt is still an up and comer that should still be on the challengers series imo. Rafael seemed to be getting caught but kept his composure and landed some brutal punches. that ko was brutal. but i expected as much in this fight.

WHERE FROM HERE: Rafael needs a step up in competition. maybe babalu regardless of the outcome of the lawler fight. i would say the winner but this fight is at a catch weight so i dont think lawler will be stepping up to 205.

Roger Gracie vs Kevin Randleman

the monster looked eager to start and eager to knock Gracie out. but Gracie impressed me with his striking. he was working off his jab and landed some nice knees including the one that dropped Randleman. even tho ive never seen Roger fight he impressed me. i expected less to be honest.

WHERE FROM HERE: while Gracie looked pretty good he didnt look quite ready for a huge step up in competition yet. maybe give him Britt? im not sure. or maybe Lighty. either way i think hes challengers series headliner material but seems to have a lot of potential.

Jacare vs Joey Villasenor

Jacare just dominated for the most part. he ate some punches throughout the fight but never seemed in big trouble. he did seem to be getting tired towards the third, but he fought through it. what really suprised me was Villasenor's grappling. he was getting back to the feet with a world class bjj guy. i didnt expect that although i did expect jacare to win, but by sub not decision.

WHERE FROM HERE: maybe someone like Scott Smith? but i doubt it cause ive heard of a Le-Smith rematch. with already having faught Miller maybe Hendo? woth his improved striking and world class bjj it might make for a good fight.

Arlovski vs Bigfoot

this fight went as i thought it would except i expected Silva to ko Arlovski. its hard to say AA has a glass chin now. Bigfoot hit him with some really hard shots that im suprised anyone could take, let alone AA. but bigfoot just outclassed him the whole fight.

WHERE FROM HERE: Bigfoot is ready for a little step up in competition. Bret Rogers maybe? even though he lost to Werdum it was a close fight. i think he might be ready for a Rogers.

Rogers vs Overeem

I really thought Rogers would come out and suprise alot of people in this fight. but man Overeem destroyed him. maybe the Fedor loss was too much but idk. Overeem looked good and im guessing he passed the pissed test. im kinda concerned if Rogers wont be able to mentaly come back from two losses but i hope so.

WHERE FROM HERE: so i only see one fight for Overeem and thats the winner of Werdum-Fedor fight.
postman
5/16/10 10:43:22AM

Posted by mrsmiley

4. AA vs Bigfoot

Arlovski showed a lot of heart and determenation in this fight but that doesn't change the fact he was purely outclassed in every aspect of the game. It seemed as if he still was lingering on his old bad habits and that's part of what cost him this fight. I think Shamrock was right in stating he should have worked the legs more and chopped Silva down.

It was only 29-28 its not like AA was dismantled. He didn't look great but he ate some big shots and he contorolled the fight in rd 2. I can see why he didn't attack the leg more he was starting to get countered due to his hands being low. I think eating those big shots will be a mental victory fot AA and if he gets back in the gym with Roach we will see a better AA next fight. Maybe a rematch with Werdum if he dosn't beat Fedor.
RyanC
5/16/10 11:20:50AM
I was not entertained.
postman
5/16/10 11:33:09AM

Posted by RyanC

I was not entertained.

Yeah I watched it this morning and dozed off a few times.
RyanC
5/16/10 11:37:15AM

Posted by postman

Posted by RyanC

I was not entertained.

Yeah I watched it this morning and dozed off a few times.

HA! I did the EXACT same thing. I had places to be last night so I recorded it, and I am very glad that I did not sit home to watch it. Less than stellar fights in this fans opinion.
jae_1833
5/16/10 12:27:48PM
Really!?? Crap I have it recorded as well...I only watched the Overeem fight live because I was too busy watching the boys. I was hoping Jacare v Villasenor was good.
jimmypockets
5/16/10 1:16:09PM
Last nights card was definately better than the last one. I am still not sold on many of their "talents". Overeem looked good but Rogers is no Lesnar, Carwin, Velasquez, Emelianenko. Jacare looked outstanding the first round but he obviously was overconfident that he would stop Villasenor and gassed himself out. I was disappointed to see Jacare make a mental mistake like that.

The greatest part of the event for me was the fact that the Diaz brothers and their groupies didn't show up. I assume they were only 1 ft. into smoking a 5 ft. blunt when the show started and they just couldn't put it out. Thank you for gigantic cigars.
Jackelope
5/16/10 2:14:38PM
Rogers' wins came as a result of his size and aggression. He had neither in this fight vs. Overeem. That's why I was saying since the beginning that for all intents and purposes Overeem should absolutely wreck Rogers- which he did. It's too bad because I think Rogers has/had potential based on his mindset and extremely heavy hands but I think it's safe to say at this point unless he's matched up against someone 40 lbs. lighter than him we're not likely to see that Rogers again. Fedor stole his thunder and the new breed of heavyweights won't be intimidated by size since they're mostly all 255+ lb monsters.

I'm sad for Andrei. I think Bigfoot is a legitimate up and coming heavyweight but by all means Andrei SHOULD have been the favorite in that fight. I just think he's not the same anymore. The Fedor curse has hit Andrei as well. It's so weird how these guys fight Fedor and most of their careers just absolutely crash afterwards.

Since fighting Fedor-

Brett Rogers was on a 10-0 streak before Fedor and is now 0-2
Andrei Arlovski was on a 5 fight win streak and is now 0-3
Tim Sylvia is was 24-4 and is now 1-2
HMC is 1-3
Matt Lindland is 1-3
Mark Hunt is 0-4
Mark Coleman is 1-3

mrsmiley
5/16/10 2:35:51PM

Posted by Jackelope

Rogers' wins came as a result of his size and aggression. He had neither in this fight vs. Overeem. That's why I was saying since the beginning that for all intents and purposes Overeem should absolutely wreck Rogers- which he did. It's too bad because I think Rogers has/had potential based on his mindset and extremely heavy hands but I think it's safe to say at this point unless he's matched up against someone 40 lbs. lighter than him we're not likely to see that Rogers again. Fedor stole his thunder and the new breed of heavyweights won't be intimidated by size since they're mostly all 255+ lb monsters.

I'm sad for Andrei. I think Bigfoot is a legitimate up and coming heavyweight but by all means Andrei SHOULD have been the favorite in that fight. I just think he's not the same anymore. The Fedor curse has hit Andrei as well. It's so weird how these guys fight Fedor and most of their careers just absolutely crash afterwards.

Since fighting Fedor-

Brett Rogers was on a 10-0 streak before Fedor and is now 0-2
Andrei Arlovski was on a 5 fight win streak and is now 0-3
Tim Sylvia is was 24-4 and is now 1-2
HMC is 1-3
Matt Lindland is 1-3
Mark Hunt is 0-4
Mark Coleman is 1-3

This is why fighting Fedor is bad for your MMA career...

Fedor’s Last---------------------Record Before---Record Versus---Win Percentage
Ten Opponents------------------Fedor-----------and After Fedor--Difference
1. Andrei "Pitbull" Arlovski----------15-5-----------0-2--------------(-75%)
2. Tim "The Maine-iac" Sylvia------24-4-----------0-2--------------(-86%)
3. Hong Man "Techno Goliath" Choi-1-0------------1-2--------------(-66%)
4. Matt "The Law" Lindland--------20-4------------1-2-------------(-50%)
5. Mark Hunt----------------------5-2-------------0-4--------------(-71%)
6. Mark "The Hammer" Coleman----13-5-------------2-4--------------(-39%)
7. Wagner "Zuluzinho"-------------3-0--------------2-6--------------(-75%)
da Conceicao Martins
8. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic -----16-3-------------9-3---------------(-9%)
9. Tsuyoshi "TK" Kohsaka----------24-15------------2-3---------------(-22%)
10. Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro"----19-1-------------12-4--------------(-20%)
Nogueira

Interesting Facts:
Fedor’s last ten opponents lost 51% more of their fights, after they faced him.

It's like even after you physically fight Fedor you're still battling him mentally.
Coincidence? Or perhaps Fedor is a mutant! I think it's time he got his spot on the Xmen.
warglory
5/16/10 4:30:40PM
I honestly think Alistair has all the tools to beat Fedor handily, I really do.
juggernautakira
5/16/10 7:14:28PM
I really dont understand this new spark in AA's chin because it looked the same to me. He got rocked left and right! The only difference is that Bigfoot didnt capitalize. He instead played the clinch to the fence game ala Randy Couture.

AA wouldve been KOd for sure, but with no follow up, he didnt. Perhaps AA can recover quickly...
MaxOne
5/16/10 11:35:00PM
i didn't hear any mention of Kevin coming in w/an injury. did i miss it? normally if a fighter is babying an injury during a fight like he was they mention it frequently during commentary.

Brett didn't fight.

Arlovski confused me.
tcunningham
5/17/10 12:21:20AM
overeem totally outclassed rogers. looking at the strike percentages for overeem vs rogers percent was pitiful. i was totally impressed with overeem. he looked the best he ever has even with being out of strikeforce for so long. i hate to say it but i could see him putting a hurt on fedor
SST
5/21/10 5:53:53PM
When are these results going to get updated for the picks and wagers?
mrsmiley
5/21/10 6:11:15PM

Posted by SST

When are these results going to get updated for the picks and wagers?

They got canned because of the cancelation of Shine fights.
It sucks but that' the way it happened. They where put together as a combo and since one show fell through the picks got messed up as well.
Wolfgang666
5/22/10 8:42:59PM
The fight with Brett Rogers validates Alistair Overeem to me as a legitimate top ten HW. I saw his potential, but combined with all the losses to good LHWs and his less than stellar competition since he moved up, I felt he may have been fools gold. While it has been proven numerous times that Overeem has an off-button located on his chin, I think he answered a lot of critics.

I feel it is bad for Fedor's resume since it is yet again another then-top10 opponent who immediately gets destroyed after Fedor and booted from the top ten. It's odd and interesting that of all the fighters in the top of their weight class, Fedor's last 3 opponents were the highest ranked on average but the most criticized afterward.
Chael_Sonnen
5/25/10 2:10:30PM
I was a little surprised to see Jacare gas a bit.

BustedKnuckle
5/25/10 8:35:10PM
I have one thing to say and one thing only. AO vs FEDOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!