Stretching for that high kick and dynamic guard!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Stretching for that high kick and dynamic guard!
Jaxon
1/31/09 6:57:27PM
Flexibility is extremely important in my oppinion, as Im sure most of you agree. I try to stretch at least 3-4 times a week, and Im seeing results, but to speed up the process I thought I would invest in a Martial Arts Leg stretcher, which retail for around $350.00 AU .. pretty expensive!

My Muay Thai coach is convinced that I would never use it, that it would be a waste of money, and it would just collect dust... so he loaned me his old one, which is still in great shape and works wonders!

Does anybody have any experience with these contraptions? if so, how long do you use it for? My coach is telling me I can use this thing daily, for up to 30 minutes!

Thoughts on the device, its use and credibility?

Thanks for any thoughts, tips of advice :)
Mattchoo
2/1/09 3:24:23PM
Pure lazyness.

Do it properly and it will naturally come, why force it?
Wolfenstein
2/1/09 3:55:53PM
I've tried one, but never for a consistently long period. Personally I just never buy into these latest fitness contraptions...except for the abslide. I just don't believe there is any machine out there that is going to give you a big shortcut.

I have a friend who has been using one for a couple years, and he swears by it. It has improved his flexibility over the last couple years, but I'm not really convinced it significantly increased what he could have accomplished with any typical stretching routine.

I do yoga 3 times a week to improve my flexibility, and it does wonders. I think instead of spending $350 on a martial arts leg stretcher, you could probably buy about 8 months time at a good gym, and get access to a yoga class as well as quality excercise equipment...hell they might even have one of these things. To me that's the greater overall investment.
Jaxon
2/1/09 7:30:34PM

Posted by Mattchoo

Pure lazyness.

Do it properly and it will naturally come, why force it?

I do stretch properly, Im only trialing this thing, if I dont see the point or any real benefit, I wouldnt bother investing in one, Im just trying to better myself, I wouldnt say Im lazy :\

Posted by Wolfenstein

I've tried one, but never for a consistently long period. Personally I just never buy into these latest fitness contraptions...except for the abslide. I just don't believe there is any machine out there that is going to give you a big shortcut.

I have a friend who has been using one for a couple years, and he swears by it. It has improved his flexibility over the last couple years, but I'm not really convinced it significantly increased what he could have accomplished with any typical stretching routine.

I do yoga 3 times a week to improve my flexibility, and it does wonders. I think instead of spending $350 on a martial arts leg stretcher, you could probably buy about 8 months time at a good gym, and get access to a yoga class as well as quality excercise equipment...hell they might even have one of these things. To me that's the greater overall investment.

Good points, I dont think I would be willing to spend 350 on such a thing, Ive used it for a few days now, and it gives a good stretch, but it wouldnt stop me from doing my normal routine.

I've been doing martial arts since I was like 8 or 9 so I guess I just grew to be very flexible. I can put both of my legs behind my head pretty easily and walk around on my hands. So the short answer is no.

lol.

But like the others I would just advise you to continue normal stretching, it will develop on its own. I don't see how a machine could help your tendons and muscles stretch any faster than they would otherwise. It's more about your body needing time to adjust than anything I think.

edit - but hey, if you've got the machine for free you may as well try it out and see how you like it. It can't hurt, right?

Yeah, I didnt buy it, its a free trial for around a month, just giving it a shot :P ... it can hurt, but only if u push urself too far haha, I swear that thing could be a torture device in the wrong hands :|
Aether
2/1/09 7:43:18PM
I've been doing martial arts since I was like 8 or 9 so I guess I just grew to be very flexible. I can put both of my legs behind my head pretty easily and walk around on my hands. So the short answer is no.

lol.

But like the others I would just advise you to continue normal stretching, it will develop on its own. I don't see how a machine could help your tendons and muscles stretch any faster than they would otherwise. It's more about your body needing time to adjust than anything I think.

edit - but hey, if you've got the machine for free you may as well try it out and see how you like it. It can't hurt, right?
fullerene
2/2/09 9:53:23PM
I've got one and use it occasionally. I wish I could use it more, but it's ugly and so it's stored out of sight and out of mind.

It's effective because it locks your legs into place. If you do traditional splits, and can't drop down all the way, it's difficult to slide your feet the right amount without either sticking (generally with shoes or bare feet) or sliding too much and straining (generally with socks). With one of those stretchers you can reach a comfortable split position and then crank a few degrees further with your knee/ankle/hips all stabiliized.

But, remember that this is basically $350 for an aid to doing one stretch (side splits). Given the choice, I agree with the poster who said that money could be better spent on yoga classes to improve flexibility in a vareity of areas.
The-Don
2/22/09 6:59:18PM
yea these machines have been around for decades.. so I assume they work.. but it's a one trick pony.. The money would be better spent as stated above on a yoga class or gymnastics or some such to get more for your money