Strength and Endurance Routine

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Strength and Endurance Routine
mk53220
1/22/08 4:55:56PM
Thinking about this:

M&F: power lifting heavy:
5sets 8,5,4,3,3 reps

Bench press, Squats, Deadlifts, DB or KB Clean and press, High Pulls, Bent over BB rows

W:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...andy+Coutur e
Couture training. I seen this and I think this would improve strength and shock my muscles. With the endurance, and with it being intense i think Its like a cardio and weight lifting session in one to help cut BF.

T,S,S: Cardio. RUN!!!!! 2/3 min jogs and 1 min sprints.

What do you guys think? Is Monday and Friday routine too much or just enough??
fullerene
1/22/08 6:30:29PM
I'm tempted to answer right away, but can you tell me what kind of shape you're in now and what your workout goals are? (are you looking to compete in MMA, get strong, lose weight and look good, etc.)
mk53220
1/22/08 6:44:13PM
Im in shape enough hoping my fight wouldnt last past the first round. I need to build up my cardio, also my strength is low, I weight 210 and I cant scrap with a 200lb guy. I wanna drop down to about 180 or so, but i also need to get that strength. I really dont wanna compete in MMA its more of a rec thing to have fun with and use it for cardio.
fullerene
1/22/08 9:55:50PM
OK. My thoughts overall are that this is a very challenging workout and, if you stick to it, you will be in good shape.

If you're talking about being in "fighting shape" however, doing martial arts workouts--with sparring/contact or just with drills--is going to get you further than a workout, even a difficult one, that doesn't include those exercises.

On some of the individual parts:

Posted by mk53220
M&F: power lifting heavy:
5sets 8,5,4,3,3 reps

Bench press, Squats, Deadlifts, DB or KB Clean and press, High Pulls, Bent over BB rows

Great exercises for building strength. My concern isn't that it would be ineffective but that the workout would be very difficult to complete because it takes so much energy to do 5 sets of exercises like squats and clean and press right after another. I couldn't do it, but maybe you can. Even if you do complete it, you won't be able to use very much weight for the final exercises because you'll be tired. For a muscular endurance standpoint that's OK, but if you're trying to maximize strength you might want to split this routine up; maybe doing squats and C&P one day and DL, pulls and rows another.

EDIT

Posted by mk53220
W:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...andy+Coutur e
Couture training. I seen this and I think this would improve strength and shock my muscles. With the endurance, and with it being intense i think Its like a cardio and weight lifting session in one to help cut BF.

Decent workout for muscular endurance. I know a guy who does a very similar workout and is in excellent shape. A couple of things to note are 1) both the guy I know (and I'm sure Randy Couture, who is about the same size) use considerably more weight--typically 135+ for those exercises, and 2) Randy Couture is in excellent shape more from his MT/wreslting/BJJ routines than from a weightlifting or fitness routine.

Posted by mk53220
T,S,S: Cardio. RUN!!!!! 2/3 min jogs and 1 min sprints.

I'm old school on this one, so just take this as an opinion with nothing more behind it, but I'd prefer to run for 20-30 minutes consecutively. Take a quarter mile walk and then run 100 meter sprints until you couldn't do any more. Maybe I've just been to the wrong tracks, but it seems like people running intervals like that never sprint at full (or even close to full) speed and I like the feeling of forcing my body to move fast when I sprint.

Those are a few questions to ask yourself about fine tuning the workout. But if you disregard everything and do the workout exactly as you had it, you'll be in very good shape. The only point I'd really emphasize is that your striking and grappling endurance won't be built up with a workout like this the way it would be by doing striking and grappling.
mk53220
1/23/08 9:58:57AM
Out of all the fourms I ever been a part of, that is the best response I have ever recieved. Thank you. Just one question maybe you stated it in the response and I just got lost in it, but Instead of doing all those oly lifts is there a better routine I should do or is the best strength building is spliting it up...

Also you said about the bench press, I am you just must of missed it. Its the first exercise listed.

On the cardio I ran 1 mile and a lap with switching speeds from 6 to 10 sprints. HAd to do it on a treadmill.

Thanks again.
fullerene
1/23/08 10:34:51AM

Posted by mk53220
Just one question maybe you stated it in the response and I just got lost in it, but Instead of doing all those oly lifts is there a better routine I should do or is the best strength building is spliting it up...

I like all of the individual exercises you're suggesting. I might replace the C&P with something like an overhead or military press, but not because I like the lift better but because it overlaps less with the muscles you need to squat and DL.

What you're posting should be an excellent muscular conditioning routine, but it's probably not the way to maximize your individual lifts--in other words, to get your maximum bench, squat, etc. weight up. This is because you'll be fatigued in your later exercises and won't be able to train with as much weight. Have you gone through your current routine yet? If you're looking for the "skinny bar" with no weight for the last exercises, or you're too sore to run the next day then it's probably safe to say you're trying to accomplish too much in one day of lifting.

What correlates better to real "strength"--being able to complete a routine like your listed with moderate weight or being able to do a focused lift with even more weight? I won't answer that, because I really don't think there is a clear answer. It's up to you to figure out which one puts you in better shape.

Posted by mk53220
Also you said about the bench press, I am you just must of missed it. Its the first exercise listed.

Posted by mk53220
On the cardio I ran 1 mile and a lap with switching speeds from 6 to 10 sprints. HAd to do it on a treadmill..

Just checked your location--yeah, running outside probably isn't too practical right now. Sounds like a good substitute routine on a treadmill. When the weather is warmer you might try running full-out sprints at the end of a jog.
mk53220
1/23/08 2:57:45PM
Well thats what i was thinking about the running the next day. Have you ever herd of this ross training? Do you have a template of his?? I wouldnt mind on getting his routine but I need to lift today I sat around last week recovering. And I was suppose to workout monday but the gym was closed due to the snow. What should I do?

Should I do heav lifting on mon and fri or should I just do Weds lifting on Mon and Friday as well.

Instead of C&P what about a DB snatch??

Thanks for all the help man.
drunkel
1/24/08 2:39:30PM
Did you guys see my post on dumbell complexes? IIts what Randy uses, there are many variations. I also use this with a KB just sub different exercises.
Check out Istvan Javoreks site, http://staff.jccc.net/ijavorek/mf.htm, http://www.istvanjavorek.com/
Here is an example of a DD complex
Javorek’s Dumbbell Complex III. Exercise:
Dumbbell Regular(Supinated) Curls X 6
Dumbbell Upright Row X 6
Dumbbell High Pull Snatch Regular Or From Hip X 6
Dumbbell Parallel Press X 6
Dumbbell Bent Over Row X 6
Dumbbell Squat Push Press X 6
Dumbbell Bent Over Kick Back X 6
Dumbbell Squat Upright Row X 6
Dumbbell In Front Of Thighs Special Good Morning X 10
Perform In A Non-Stop, Continuous Order As Listed Above. If Low Ceiling, Certain Exercises Perform Seated. Eight Exercises X 6 Reps = 48 Reps/Set. + 1 Exercise X 10 Reps Total 58 Reps/Set
Javorek’s Barbell Complex III. Exercise:
Barbell Regular(Supinated) Curls X 6
Barbell Upright Row X 6
Barbell High Pull Snatch From Hip X 6
Barbell Behind The Head Press X 6
Barbell Bent Over Row X 8
Barbell Behind The Head Squat Push Press Or X 6
Barbell Behind The Head Seated Press X 6
Barbell Behind The Head Good Morning X 10
Barbell Behind The Head Quarter Squat X 10
Barbell In Front Of Thighs Special Good Morning X 10
Perform In A Non-Stop, Continuous Order As Listed Above. If Low Ceiling, Certain Exercises Perform Seated. Five Exercises X 6 Reps = 30 Reps/Set + 1 Exercise Of 8 Reps +3 Exercises Of 10 Reps = 68 Reps.

The Drunkster
drunkel
1/24/08 3:03:07PM
For my workout yesterday I did:
Burgener warmup w/ BB complex no 3 x2 45lb barbell, x2 50lbs
DB complex no 3
12,15, 15, 20, 20 lbs, rest 45 secs inbetween sets, no stopping no regripping.
the whole workout took less than 30 mins.
Then I threw in DB snatches x3 each arm 45, 50 lb dbs.x4
MMAFO
2/1/08 12:28:38PM
I love all of those exercises that you have listed. They are all great.

I think doing a straight 5 sets of ea. of those at reps of 8,5,4,3,3 would be too much.

one option:
maybe on 1 of your days, do Heavy Squats for 5 sets, then do some speed bench (half of your max) for 8 sets of 3, lower the bar and explode it up. add in some other exercises for your hamstrings, DL's, and rest of your legs.

on your 2nd day, do Heavy Bench, and speed box squats. again, half the weight, down and explode up. then add some dumbell preser, shoulders, back etc.

this will allow you to work heavy to build strength, allow you to recover and work on your speed. (on the speed exercises do 8 sets of 8 with only 60sec. rest betweens sets). on your heavy exercise, do a week of 5sets of 5, then a week of 5 sets of 4, then 5 of 3. start over.

you could keep your other days as is. I like the Couture interval. i do it every few weeks. I'm not sure exactly how he does it, but i do 5 sets with 1min rest between sets. no where near using 135lbs though, lol.