Can we please stop saying...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Can we please stop saying...
nubby
8/9/07 1:23:31PM
Can we all please stop saying that fighters always have a chance? It's a given!!! In pretty much every thread you will find some captain obvious that always has to be the one to say "oh yeah Joe Stevenson has a chance at beating BJ Penn, it's a small chance, but it's a chance". I mean come on! I have a chance at winning the lottery but I don't go around telling everyone that I have that chance. I'm tired of it. Upsets happen, and this is the year of the upsets, but seriously, ENOUGH WITH THE CHANCE stuff!
juanez13
8/9/07 1:25:51PM
i wouldnt be that surprised if stevenson beats BJ
zephead
8/9/07 1:26:13PM
Where's your link? PLus, is this news?
bigstik01
8/9/07 1:29:49PM
maybe people would stop saying it if others would stop saying "oh that guy has NO CHANCE of beating him"
nubby
8/9/07 1:30:03PM

Posted by zephead

Where's your link? PLus, is this news?

Can you move this to UFC Pride, I hit the wrong forum link.
Twenty20Dollars
8/9/07 1:30:08PM
ohh matt serra doesnt have a chance of beating GSP.

LR
8/9/07 1:49:01PM
Manny and Karo have no chance at shaving off that Armenian chest mane. Hedgeclippers can't cut through that iron curtain.
fedorwins1
8/9/07 1:52:36PM
There's a chance...........................
Chris_Keppel
8/9/07 2:08:07PM

Posted by LR

Manny and Karo have no chance at shaving off that Armenian chest mane. Hedgeclippers can't cut through that iron curtain.

lmfao
Rua22
8/9/07 3:35:56PM
you make a good point LR, but you gotta give my boy Karo props for the simple reason that he at least shaves his obvious unibrow.
ocho-cinco
8/9/07 3:40:00PM

Posted by nubby

Can we all please stop saying that fighters always have a chance? It's a given!!! In pretty much every thread you will find some captain obvious that always has to be the one to say "oh yeah Joe Stevenson has a chance at beating BJ Penn, it's a small chance, but it's a chance". I mean come on! I have a chance at winning the lottery but I don't go around telling everyone that I have that chance. I'm tired of it. Upsets happen, and this is the year of the upsets, but seriously, ENOUGH WITH THE CHANCE BULLSHIT!

Just calm down.... take a few deep breaths and count to 10......
LR
8/9/07 3:59:43PM
Ok ok, I'll give Karo the unibrow advantage, but how about... there is no chance Karo can get through a sentence without saying "Bro".?
nubby
8/9/07 4:01:00PM
I'm really not that excited. I'm just tired of the same boring obvious post that the underdog has a chance. Woopty doo!
MMA
8/9/07 4:41:33PM
I believe when most people say that so and so has no chance of winning, they do not mean that literally. I think most educated fans understand that this is a very unpredictable sport and anything could happen.

When they say that this fighter has no chance to win, they are just emphasizing how unlikely it is that this fighter will win.
TNunley
8/9/07 4:45:46PM

Posted by MMA

I believe when most people say that so and so has no chance of winning, they do not mean that literally. I think most educated fans understand that this is a very unpredictable sport and anything could happen.

When they say that this fighter has no chance to win, they are just emphasizing how unlikely it is that this fighter will win.

There's a chance you may be on to something.
SteedTheDeed
8/9/07 5:57:40PM
then we need to stop hearing "so and so has no chance"
nubby
8/9/07 6:19:03PM

Posted by SteedTheDeed

then we need to stop hearing "so and so has no chance"

? When someone says Stevenson has no Chance against Penn they are being literal based on skill sets alone. They are saying that BJ Penn is a far superior fighter to Stevenson. However when someone says Stevenson has a chance, a small chance what they are saying is that eventhough stevenson is accepted as being the inferior fighter, the possibility that BJ could slip and fall and punch himself in the face for a KO is there. Yes that possibility is in every fight, we can assume it is true for every fight, however we can't assume in every fight that BJ Penn is the far superior fighter.

So basically what I'm saying is that we don't need to hear the crap that is plain as day obvious like:
1) Don't underestimate the fighter
2) Anything could happen, this is MMA
3) This is the year of the upsets
4) Don't count Randy out!

Because, believe it or not, WE KNOW!
SpiderSilva
8/9/07 6:27:09PM
this year has proven that anyone has a chance
LR
8/10/07 10:09:52AM
Scientifically, every event has a chance of happening, no matter how minute it may be. So, really... saying someone does not have a chance is never true, and I'm pretty sure everybody knows that. I think the people who show favortism at one fighter because he is their favorite usually blast off the statements that their fighter will destroy this other fighter, and the other fighter has no chance. That's the kind of stuff I hate, because I think people need to look at these other fighters against their favorite fighter, and actually analyze the styles. Because really, you can't be the blatantly blind trying to predict a fight.
pv3Hpv3p
8/10/07 12:00:12PM

Posted by nubby

...the possibility that BJ could slip and fall and punch himself in the face for a KO is there...

For some reason this made me laugh out loud... I think because I got a mental picture going while I was reading it... That'd be pretty funny
Pitbull09
8/11/07 12:30:53AM
I know how that becomes annoying, but there is just the opposite with ppl say "This guy had no chance!" so they both fuel each other.
hippysmacker
8/11/07 5:07:45AM
Personally i like to qualify my statements the majority of the time. Trying to see the possibilities is just logical IMO.
Trapt1nw0nder
8/12/07 12:46:34AM
This thread is dumb...

stupid thing to complain about
Chris_Keppel
8/12/07 3:44:05PM
it might turn into an intellectual conversation.

...there's a chance.
iwannabesedated
8/12/07 3:51:33PM
Theres always a chance ill have to poop at work after a night of drinking...Man pooping in public is the worst thing ever....There is a chance that someone always leaves some floaters in there or shut the lights off on you..total Douche manuevers but yet quite funny if not done to you.
fullfighting
8/12/07 7:18:29PM
Gabe Ruediger has chance at becoming a world champion.
Ultimate_fighter
8/12/07 8:40:28PM

Posted by bigstik01

maybe people would stop saying it if others would stop saying "oh that guy has NO CHANCE of beating him"

Yea, i stopped saying that after gsp vs serra... and i think a lot of other people did too...
BigEvil
8/13/07 9:15:15AM
I just flipped a coin and lost.... so I won't comment on this everything has a chance talk...
Fanboy 1988
8/13/07 3:21:55PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

this year has proven that anyone has a chance

Exactly!
Chris_Keppel
8/16/07 3:48:08PM
Gabe.