Stone Temple Pilots

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Stone Temple Pilots
POLL: Do you think Stone Temple Pilots are overrated?
They're totally overrated 27% (7)
Totally underrated 46% (12)
The best band eva! 12% (3)
What was that about Don King? 15% (4)
Jackelope
2/6/09 8:18:05PM
After digging around on the internet today I discovered that Stone Temple Pilots have a lot more critics than I realized. I always thought everyone loved STP, but I guess I was wrong. I want to know what you think about 'em, so put in your votes!

Also, if you're a fan- post your top 3 favorite songs

1) Plush
2) Interstate Love Song
3) Sin

breakdown5
2/6/09 9:02:29PM
1. Big Empty
2. Dead and Bloated
3. Vasoline
cloppio
2/6/09 9:03:19PM
1. dead and bloated
2. creep
3. plush

Khaos
2/6/09 10:06:43PM
1.Sex Type Thing
2.Big Empty
3.Trippin' on a hole in a Paper heart
roadking95th
2/6/09 10:40:56PM

Sex Type Thing
Where The River Goes
Crackerman

geesh, one could easily pick about 15 great songs.
Bowen50
2/6/09 11:39:15PM
Plush (Acoustic)
Wicked Garden
Sex Type Thing
urbman
2/6/09 11:51:21PM
Dead and Bloated, Where the River Goes and Superman with Silvergun.
Wolfenstein
2/6/09 11:54:03PM
Haha, people love that 90's grunge around here--me too! I like a lot of their mellow stuff, especially the acoustic versions.

1- Creep
2- Lady Picture Show
3- Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart
Jackelope
2/7/09 12:02:10AM
Good to see they're getting nothing but love for the most part. I guess the sources I'd been reading were crap. Although I would like to see the people who voted for "overrated" chime in.

I went to one of their concerts last summer. They kept busting out song after song after song and each one was like I was being transported back in time to when it was a #1 hit on the radio. These guys have a ton of great songs
haggiswashere
2/7/09 3:08:33AM
there are like 200000 bands that sound EXACTLY like them
Jackelope
2/7/09 10:20:47AM

Posted by haggiswashere

Name a couple. I'll go buy their CD's, LOL
higdon10
2/7/09 12:21:25PM
I saw STP play last August and they were amazing. They still have it. I say that they are a great band.
roadking95th
2/7/09 3:08:40PM

Posted by haggiswashere

Huh? There are a lot of bands who try to sound like them, among other 90's grunge, but none do.

I gotta agree with Jackelope, please name them, the ones who do it well.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a girl at my restaurant last summer. I asked he who were the bands who were going to be great for years to come. Not that STP fits this statement, as they were very good for several years, but...back to the story. I said who is going to be the Aerosmith, Metallica, BBoys, RHCP's, etc...I said maybe I am old, but I don't see any, Rock Bands anyway. Her response? Fall Out Boy!
Wolfenstein
2/7/09 4:03:34PM

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by haggiswashere

Huh? There are a lot of bands who try to sound like them, among other 90's grunge, but none do.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a girl at my restaurant last summer. I asked he who were the bands who were going to be great for years to come. Not that STP fits this statement, as they were very good for several years, but...back to the story. I said who is going to be the Aerosmith, Metallica, BBoys, RHCP's, etc...I said maybe I am old, but I don't see any, Rock Bands anyway. Her response? Fall Out Boy!

Good question, the only band I can see having that kind of longevity would be The Foo Fighters. Maybe somewhere down the road after a few more album releases I might include Breaking Benjamin, and Three Days Grace.

Fallout Boy...they've basically done what every punk band does when they make it big...they become pop bands. Soon enough they'll go the way of the Offspring.
urbman
2/7/09 4:27:42PM
Wolf,love your avatar,but I had to ask why is Charles Barkley chasing GSP into the woods?
Jackelope
2/7/09 5:16:45PM

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by haggiswashere

Ahh, the ol' "Timeless" bands argument. I've had that one a number of times

I think certain CD's will be timeless, and STP definitely has two of those- Core and Purple. If Scott Weiland wasn't so bad about the drugs and drinking I do believe STP could have been a timeless band as a whole. As someone else who saw them mentioned, the band is still phenomenal live.

roadking95th
2/8/09 12:46:30AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by haggiswashere

Ahh, the ol' "Timeless" bands argument. I've had that one a number of times

I think certain CD's will be timeless, and STP definitely has two of those- Core and Purple. If Scott Weiland wasn't so bad about the drugs and drinking I do believe STP could have been a timeless band as a whole. As someone else who saw them mentioned, the band is still phenomenal live.

Oh, their albums are definitely timeless. The band didn't hang around long enough, because of reasons you stated, to qualify. But hey, if they put out two solid albums then they are in the mix again.

Wolf, I would consider Foo Fighters from more my time then from these times or even the last several years.

This would be a great topic. What band, formed in the last several years, say since 2004, will be still be putting out good albums in 2024?
bojangalz
2/8/09 3:05:36AM
I was a little late on the whole grunge scene (too busy listening to goat-roping music since that's all my FM radio could find at the time). I actually didn't get into STP until after picking up their Greatest Hits album around 2003. It's definitely music I can get behind.

If I had to choose from my narrow knowledge of favorite STP tunes I'd probably have to say my top three are:

Big Empty
Creep
Vasoline (wait, I won't get banned for that will I?)
mentalcase
2/8/09 3:13:26AM
why is there always a joke don king option in the polls?
Jackelope
2/8/09 11:03:52AM

Posted by mentalcase

why is there always a joke don king option in the polls?

If you don't fill all your poll options the site automatically puts it in there